Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Electric lighters - how long to 400?

Options
Hey, gang..

For those of you who use an electric lighter to startup your Egg..

How long does it take you to get to 400 degrees?

I'm thinking of adding a Small or a Medium Egg and this is (or cubes) are the only ways I'm comfortable with given I'm on a wood deck (ie: weedburner or MAPP is out of the question..)

Startup time to 400 is killing me on my KJ (same size as a LBGE).  Takes 20+ minutes to get to 400 (RO lump), and last night took about 30 with Ozark Oak. 

I'm using about 2 lbs of lump..(believe it or not, I've actually weighed it to trying to figure out how much to use..not sure if I just have a leak [dollar bill pulls out too easily IMHO] but I have very little lump left from the 2 lbs after a 400 - 425 degree cook for 90 minutes [Spatchcock chick last night..30 minutes warmup, 60 cook]).

Wondering if a MBGE or SBGE would reduce my startup to 400 time and increase amount of lump left over..I keep hearing about how efficient the Egg is on only using lump needed and this is indeed what my Mini does..but not sure if it's just because it's a Mini.

There are times I REALLY wish I had just bought a LBGE so I'm not always wondering about the KJ..but I got sucked in by all the KJ fit and finish and innovations (divide and conquer, pull out ash drawer, BBQ Wizard, etc)..ugh.

Thanks for any/all feedback!
Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)

Comments

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    My small actually takes a little longer to get up to 400 than my large.  With my large, It's usually about 15 or 20 minutes total time.  I put the electric lighter in for 8 minutes then pull it and shut the dome and with daisy wheel off and bottom vent wide open.  I just catch it when it gets close to 400 (or whatever) and put the wheel on and adjust the vents.  I don't know that theres a good way to do it faster than a 20  minute startup.  I would think you wouldn't even have good smoke before that?  And I have a hi-que grate in large and small. 

Little Rock, AR

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,570
    Options
    My small actually takes a little longer to get up to 400 than my large.  With my large, It's usually about 15 or 20 minutes total time.  I put the electric lighter in for 8 minutes then pull it and shut the dome and with daisy wheel off and bottom vent wide open.  I just catch it when it gets close to 400 (or whatever) and put the wheel on and adjust the vents.  I don't know that theres a good way to do it faster than a 20  minute startup.  I would think you wouldn't even have good smoke before that?  And I have a hi-que grate in large and small. 
    Agreed on this..That is exactly the same method and time I do with my large, and have also started using a hi-que grate and am loving the extra air flow..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    Options

With my looftlighter..... probably around 15-20 minutes. 

I can fast-track it, just leave the looftlighter on the lump a long time, and light a bunch of different spots - but 90% of the time, I don't want the whole load burning to begin with, and I'd overshoot 400 that way, so I don't bother.

[Insert clever signature line here]
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options

I agree, but the way to get it up faster is to put a piece of vent pipe on the top to get up faster. Here is a YouTube video I found about getting the Egg up to 700 in 5 minutes. I hope it works for you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPsRJCJTf0M
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    MBGE owner here, what @Biggreenpharmacist says: 8 minutes with first burn lump, 6 minutes with second burn lump. 

Two pounds of lump seems quite low to me. In MBGE at least 1/2 of the eight pound bag goes in. When finished cooking, on goes the ceramic cap, closed goes the lower vent and out goes the fire. 

First burn lump will be at least 20 minutes to clear the VOCs, second burn might be good to go in as little as 10 minutes, providing there was not too much fat dripping from the previous fire. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    VOC's are the biggest issue.... Gotta get those burned off first!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    Options
    My electric element lighter is almost melted thru because I got distracted once so now I set the timer on my iPhone for 5 min.  If my small is ash free, and I went 10 min with the element immersed, I would say you could get to 400 in under 15 min every time.  

Remember tho that you will not have your ceramic up to a stabilized temp that quickly but a small will stabilize quicker than a large.

On a side note-  I have a Hi-Q grate and never use it with the small because the lump falls thru and gets clogged.  My experiences have been with the stock fire grate-

IMHO if you are looking at a smaller egg, wait for the Mini-Max.  I saw one and it looks like it is set up to breathe.

After trying every method I have read about to light the egg, the electric immersion hands down works the best and fastest for me with no waxy or chemical starter to burn thru before cooking-
    Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options

@Ladeback69

I don't have a problem with a 20 minute start up time.  I plug in my electric lighter (egg is just on back porch-I just step out of kitchen onto porch) and then go in and prep whatever I need.  Heck the other day I kept thinking my egg sure was slow to get up over 300.  I finally figured out it was wrapped around and back up to 300.  That was only after about 25 minutes.  I think if I put stove pipe on it, I'd probably melt the siding off my porch. 

Little Rock, AR

• Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    Options
    I have a Looftlighter and a Bison Airlighter. Using either, I can have my fire started in approx 2 minutes and temp to 400 in under 10 minutes. Even less time if my huge ash pile has been cleaned out. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Why not.............. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SmokyBear
    SmokyBear Posts: 389
    Options
    I have a Looftlighter and a Bison Airlighter. Using either, I can have my fire started in approx 2 minutes and temp to 400 in under 10 minutes. Even less time if my huge ash pile has been cleaned out. 
    Which do you like better?  I was looking at both but they both look to throw a LOT of sparks (looking at the YouTube videos)..

I was seriously thinking of ordering the Bison since it shoots the butane flame at 2,000+ degrees where the Looflighter seems to just use really hot air..

10 min sure sounds good tho..I might have to Amazon one just to try it..but same reason I don't want to use a torch - raised wood deck and all..
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
  • SJ21XDC
    SJ21XDC Posts: 235
    Options
    I have the Looflighter also and agree. Fire in less that 2 minutes and 400 in less than 10.  Works for me!

XL & Mini-Max

Chattanooga, TN

• sctdg
    sctdg Posts: 301
    Options
    Harbor Freight 1100 watt heat gun . Under $20 frt included .Fire in 30 seconds ,if you light 4 spots one hell of a fire in about 2 minutes . Cheap at twice the price .
  • erniemcclain
    erniemcclain Posts: 505
    Options
    Just the way you worded the original post makes me wonder.  Are you bringing the lump to the top of the firebox every time you use the egg?  As I understand, not having enough at the beginning can cause low temps and slow starts.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• SmokyBear
    SmokyBear Posts: 389
    Options
    Top of firebox?  Kinda..I build a pile that winds up being a bit of a pyramid vs a flat "all the way to the top" across the entire diameter of the fire box.  The top of the pyramid is at the top of the firebox..but there's also a lot of space around the top also.  If that makes sense..

Maybe I just need to use more lump..
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    The way to light before electric or mapp torches.
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I have tried the stack pipe trick, and it is very helpful to get to temp.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon