Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole Pork Shoulder Blade Roast.

Options
My wife just brought this from Wegmans and I don't know what it is.

I thought it was a Boston Butt but the price seems too low.  Does anyone have experience with this cut?

Two Large Eggs; Too Little Time

Newtown Square, PA

Comments

• Budgeezer
    Budgeezer Posts: 669
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Farbuck said:
    My wife just brought this from Wegmans and I don't know what it is.

I thought it was a Boston Butt but the price seems too low.  Does anyone have experience with this cut?

Just another name for a Boston Butt.  The nice thing about the bone is when the bone pulls out smoothly your Butt is done.
    Edina, MN

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Yep, its a butt. Wegmans is where I get all my butts right now, can't beat their price.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Farbuck
    Farbuck Posts: 276
    Options
    Thanks guys.  I'm amazed at the price.  Thought it was too good to be true.
    Will they freeze well uncooked?  If so, I think I'm going to stock up on them

Newtown Square, PA
  • DMW
    Options
    Yes, butts freeze well. You can even toss them on the egg frozen. Extends the cook time by a few hours, but works great when you decide you want pulled pork the next day and haven't planned ahead.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    DMW said:
    Yes, butts freeze well. You can even toss them on the egg frozen. Extends the cook time by a few hours, but works great when you decide you want pulled pork the next day and haven't planned ahead.
    Wow I have learnt something there. I wanted to do a spur of the moment butt cook but the butt I had was frozen..This is helpful for future..Thanks.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • DMW
    Options
    The rub doesn't stick very well when its frozen. If you put it on and then apply the rub after an hour or so it sticks fine. I wouldn't try turbo method on a frozen butt.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Farbuck
    Farbuck Posts: 276
    Options
    @DMW thanks for the info. Who'd have thunk it?

Newtown Square, PA