Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ideas for camping cook?

Hi all,

Next weekend my kids and I are going camping with 7 other Dads and kids.  I'm in charge of the cook one night, there will be 8 dads and 21 kids.  I'll have a small egg, 2 16" terra cotta flower pots (they act like an egg, but no lid, not quite as hot), and at least one gasser. I'm going up on Friday, cooking Saturday night, so need to be able to fit and keep it cool enough in my cooler which is pretty large, and I'll bring 2 anyway.  The other Dads are keeping things pretty simple and sounds like we'll be repeating burgers, dogs and sauasages ad nauseum.  I'd like to produce a good feed, but we'll be busy with activities so can't go overboard on prep, and they're already a bit worried that i'll do something too involved.

Given I only have the small, I think low and slows are out considering how many I need to feed.  Also, the egg will not be at my site so I can't babysit it.  I'm thinking about rubbing some chicken pieces, maybe a little marinade, vacu pack them and freeze.  Not sure if I'll get fresh corn yet, but would like to do that.  Wouldn't mind getting some veggies in the kids, but gets a little tough producing for 29 in a timely manner...beyond potatoes.  Open to all ideas!

thanks all.

Beefer

Comments

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    WANGS!
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Beefer
    Beefer Posts: 41
    WANGS!

Way too many people for me to do wings.  I have a wing reputation to uphold, I don't want to do them on the flowerpots and the small doesn't have enough real estate.  Thanks for the thought though!  Think I'll do some tomorrow, I'm cooking for 15 at home on my large.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    I'm going camping this weekend and that's my plan.  However I'm not cooking on an egg.  Open fire on a sand bar in the middle of the river.  Also, only feeding about 10.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

Thanks, some good ones there.  I like the first one for breakfast, simple, and the kids can do the biscuits while i scramble some eggs.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    29 is a pretty big number.  I would be thinking along the lines of either a big hunk of meat like pulled pork or beef, or some kind of stew such as chili.   One thing that comes to mind is @EggObsessed brisket chili:

You could cook a brisket ahead of time and get it all prepped into a big tupperware container or a foodsaver bag.  When it is time to cook dump it in a dutch oven on the small and let it simmer.  I guess the only question is can you fit a large enough dutch oven on the small.  Of course another option is just use a stock pot on a camping stove.

It sounds like you have a vac sealer- so another thought is to keep it simple and just cook pulled pork ahead of time and heat it in simmering water on a camping stove. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    I'm thinking ribs, smoke 'em before you go, and just re-heat them on the Egg to serve.

Serve with corn on the cob and potato salad.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Beefer
    Zmokin said:
    I'm thinking ribs, smoke 'em before you go, and just re-heat them on the Egg to serve.

Serve with corn on the cob and potato salad

Thanks Zmokin, but I don't have the time.  Will be working before I leave, and I need to cook several batches, especially considering I don't have an AR.  That's on my wish list, but shipping is a killer to Canada.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,829

Johnsonville ORIGINAL Brats are my "go to" cook for camping.  I know you said other guys are doing sausages, but these tend to be better than any other sausages. 

I've also taken a cast iron pan and beef tenderloins to slice them about 5/8" thick and make blackened beef tenderloin sliders when tailgating.  It's a little more trouble, but doable and I'm pretty sure nobody else will be feeding them that well. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    I would premake chili, then heat the chili in the small. After it's hot throw on some hot dogs and make everyone chili dogs.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Fajitas??? I think they appeal to just about everyone.

You could do some chicken breasts and flank steaks, pre marinated and vacuum sealed. 
    Then slice up some oniions and peppers and grill them up too.

All that stuff cooks pretty fast, and cook pretty easily so you can get others to help out.

Tortillas, Cheese, Salsa, sour cream, maybe avocados.

Yum!

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • Beefer
    Fajitas??? I think they appeal to just about everyone.

You could do some chicken breasts and flank steaks, pre marinated and vacuum sealed. 
    Then slice up some oniions and peppers and grill them up too.

All that stuff cooks pretty fast, and cook pretty easily so you can get others to help out.

Tortillas, Cheese, Salsa, sour cream, maybe avocados.

Yum!

Ya, i'm liking this idea, it's going on the short list.  That brisket chili looks pretty good too...
  • jerryb78
    jerryb78 Posts: 215
    I'm camping this weekend as well but we have some stuff scheduled around dinner time and won't have a ton of time to cook.  (plus I don't have an egg that's easily portable for me)  I decided to make shredded beef at home and vacuum seal it so that I can just reheat it in some hot water at the campground.
    LBGE
    Menasha, WI
  • Beefer
    jerryb78 said:

I'm camping this weekend as well but we have some stuff scheduled around dinner time and won't have a ton of time to cook.  (plus I don't have an egg that's easily portable for me)  I decided to make shredded beef at home and vacuum seal it so that I can just reheat it in some hot water at the campground.

Good call, I was tempted to do this with pulled pork. I went with the fajita suggestion. Got some flank and chicken breasts, going to do APL's flank fajita recipe. Fresh corn just came out here in ontario, so we'll grill some of that up too. Unfortunately one of my flower pots cracked and then broke with the high heat. Standard terra cotta planter pot, would love to know how to prevent that.
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    @Beefer. Can you use the flowerpots to heat chili and use the egg to do some pork tenderloin sliders (cook them whole or flash them in a CI pan after cutting them 3/4" thick). Pork tenderloins will be a hell of a lot cheaper than beef - not as good but good anyway. Serve 'em with apple sauce and mustard.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• Beefer
    @Beefer. Can you use the flowerpots to heat chili and use the egg to do some pork tenderloin sliders (cook them whole or flash them in a CI pan after cutting them 3/4" thick). Pork tenderloins will be a hell of a lot cheaper than beef - not as good but good anyway. Serve 'em with apple sauce and mustard.

maybe next time, stuff is bought, going tomorrow. Thx to everyone for the ideas, ive got to try that brisket chili.