Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What does everyone do with your tomatoes?

Options
uheep
uheep Posts: 64
The plants are really pumping them out right now, what is everyone doing with their tomatoes right now. One of my favorite things is a tomato and onion sandwich with plenty of black pepper and mayo on it.
North Georgia ~ Large BGE~Charbroil Outdoor Fryer~Big Chief Smoker~All Done
With A Touch Of Classic Rock

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    If your a mason jar guy this would be a perfect opportunity to save them for future sauces, salsa etc etc. Me, a lil S&P and I'm good ;)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    tomato salad - with fresh mozz, basil and the best quality olive oil and balsamic you can find.  toss with some sea salt and fresh ground pepper.
    Options
    Just like today for instance I'm making a big batch of my favorite pizza sauce. Besides fresh tomatoes I'm using my home grown sweet basil as well. I then package this into individual sizes of 3/4 cup and freeze them. I'll do this again again this summer and that means I'll be set for all my pizzas until next summer.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Spaghetti sauce. Salsa. Pico de gallo.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• EggSpinner
    EggSpinner Posts: 69
    Options
    Tomato pie!  Bruschetta using grilled tomato and bread.  +1 with the tomato salad.  We also like to add red onion and then stuff in grilled portobella mushroom
    Michael 

Winston Salem, NC

• Cymbaline65
    Cymbaline65 Posts: 800
    Options
    tomato salad - with fresh mozz, basil and the best quality olive oil and balsamic you can find.  toss with some sea salt and fresh ground pepper.
    My crop is doing remarkably well this year too. What Nola said..def my fav...
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    AKA Caprese Salad. Get it together, nola.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,766
    edited July 2014
    Options
    kabobs is always good, you could braise with them, but im thinking more on the lines of a fresh tomato bloody mary. mines a few weeks before they turn red. how about chopping some up and adding to mussels with the wine and garlic
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Griffin said:

Spaghetti sauce. Salsa. Pico de gallo.

ditto

oh yeah, plus give them away to the neighbors.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    Fresh, pasta sauce we call Spaghetti Lorraine, after my Aunt who introduced us to it.

Mash 3-4 garlic cloves with 1T kosher salt into a paste
    Mix garlic w 1/3 Cup EVOO
    Let sit for 30 minutes.
    Add 3-4 large diced tomatoes
    Add 2 T chopped fresh
    Salt & Pepper to taste (should be a little too salty as it will mellow on the pasta)

Serve over 1 lb angel hair.

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    My favorite way is to eat them like an apple, with some secret salt on every bite.  I'll even eat the core on really good tomatoes.

For a salad, we like a tomato, onion, Gorgonzola salad; chunked tomatoes, diced red onion, Gorgonzola cheese crumbles, fresh basil, salt and pepper.  Dress with a homemade vinaigrette with EVOO, balsamic and/or red wine vinegar, Dijon, garlic, salt and pepper.  Very good sald to have with grilled steak.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,766
    edited July 2014
    Options
    pour some peterlugers steak sauce on a pile of cut tomatoes and it makes a nice side dish to a steak, dont pour it on the steak, it goes on the tomatoes. stuffed tomatoes is good, use a good pepper recipe and sub out the bell pepper. then theres sliced tomatoes on pizza
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • HendersonTRKing
    HendersonTRKing Posts: 1,803
    Options
    For a special treat, cut the big ones in half, score the open sides in cross-hatch fashion, drizzle with evoo, an optional splash of balsamic, top with crumbled feta or your other favorite lighter cheese (not too much!), add a bit of fresh basil, coarse ground salt and pepper.  Grill raised direct (no smoke) til the flesh is just soft, taking care not to char the skins.  Makes a fine summer side dish -- quite a nice change from the typical capresi.  Go easy on the toppings, though -- the tomat is the star! 
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    Are you canning or just freezing the sauce in ziplock bags?
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• itsmce
    itsmce Posts: 410
    Options
    Mine are kicking into high gear about now too.  Soon I will start the canning process. Some just tomatoes, and I'll make and can salsa, marinara, and pizza sauce.  We'll be set for the winter!  Oh, and tonight, traditional margarita-style pizza.
    Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Dukes plus S&P :x
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• cajuncook
    cajuncook Posts: 99
    Options
    Tomato basil soup.
    Live on beautiful Lake Hartwell GA
  • warwoman
    warwoman Posts: 279
    Options

We're lucky. We have a cannery close by that we can utilize. If you've ever canned (mason jars) tomatoes in your kitchen, you know what a time consuming, heat producing, messy process that can be. Having a county cannery available for your use makes it a lot more "enjoyable".

We'll put up 50 or 60 quarts to be used during the winter, and hot sauce if enough tomatoes available.

From the NE Georgia Mountains! Me, SWMBO, and two spoiled ass Springers!
  • BugCollector
    Options
    We (wife) cans them.  This year we're experimenting with fire roasting in a pan and then canning.  Really brings out the sweetness and a nice toasty flavor.
  • uheep
    uheep Posts: 64
    Options
    Awesome replies, there sure are a lot of creative people out there.
    North Georgia ~ Large BGE~Charbroil Outdoor Fryer~Big Chief Smoker~All Done
    With A Touch Of Classic Rock
  • Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    Options
    @RRP‌ could you post or PM me your pizza sauce recipe? Last year I made about 30 quarts of sauce. This year it looks like I'm going to have a lot less as the Amish paste tomatoes I planted are getting blossom end rot. I have found that the vita mix is AWSOME in making sauce. I just toss in the maters an onion and some garlic and blend dump it into a pot and let it simmer for a few hours to cook off the water. Last week I made a quart of sauce and we had it the next day it was great fresh. I may experiment with a batch of sun gold sauce as they are growing buck wild.
  • SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    What we don't use to make sauces and freeze, we'll blanch them, peel them and then freeze them.  Once they defrost, you can still use them for anything.  Oh yeah, +1 on tomato pie

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Firemanyz said:
    @RRP‌ could you post or PM me your pizza sauce recipe?  
     @Firemanyz Here you go!

RRP’s PIZZA SAUCE

Based on a recipe from BGE board but altered for our tastes

• 36 leaves of fresh basil diced (or 1 oz package of fresh basil from store)

• 3 T dried basil

• 1.5 tea dried oregano

• ¾ cup chardonnay or white zin

• ¾ cup fresh minced onion

• 4 cloves of garlic chopped fine

• 3 T extra virgin olive oil

• 18 Roma tomatoes each cut into 8 pieces

• 1  6oz can of tomato paste

• 3 tea California style garlic salt (that’s 1 tea PER layer)

• freshly ground pepper (15 good grinds PER layer)

Optional - but really needed IMO add 2 tea of kosher salt to the final full batch

IMPORTANT first step: steep the dried basil and dried oregano in the wine for 20 minutes

In a skillet sauté onion and garlic in olive oil until onions turn translucent, stirring frequently. 

Using a Dutch oven add tomatoes, paste, onions/garlic and remaining ingredients. I put them in so there are three layers. Cover pot and simmer for 1 hour. Remove form heat and puree in a blender until smooth. Pour back into the Dutch oven minus the lid this time and simmer until the sauce thickens to a consistency of cold catsup.

Package in 3/4 cup quantities using ZipLoc snack bags. Freeze. Yield will depend on the size of your Romas, but normally this recipe is good for 9 to 12 bags. My pizzas are 14” in diameter so you might want to adjust according to what size you make.

Hint: During the thickening stage cover the pot with a spatter guard as that sauce really pops when it erupts and can make a mess of your stove. BTW this sauce is also good with bread sticks. 

Enjoy!  Ron Pratt aka RRP

Dunlap, IL

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.