Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's on tap for the weekend?

Options
Just completed the grocery list. Flank Steak Fajitas (from the Naked Whiz and Alton Brown) for Saturday and some fresh Cobia for Sunday. SWMBO is wanting lighter fare and carbs have to go. What's everyone else having?
In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating

Comments

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    That sounds good!  I got 3 lbs of wings in a brine right now . . . then early tmrw I am helping my buddy (with an egg) do a 9 POUND PICNIC SHOULDER for a party he is hosting.  We are going with the complex yet delicous Recipe from Adam Perry Lang called "Picnic Shoulder Marinated in Citrus, Garlic and Cumin"
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I'm going camping and fishing this weekend on the might Wabash river.  Tonight going to do wings over an open fire.  Hopefully some fish at some point this weekend.  If not I have some pork chops for back up.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    Options

Saturday will be a mixture of crappy airport food; and later, crappy airplane food.  Sunday... absolutely no idea, whatever England provides!

Off to England (Manchester), Scotland (Edinburgh), France (Paris), and Netherlands (Amsterdam) for the next 2.5 weeks... No Egging for me for awhile.

[Insert clever signature line here]
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Pork Butt today and Baby Backs tomorrow.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • JRWhitee
    edited July 2014
    Options
    BRush00 said:

Saturday will be a mixture of crappy airport food; and later, crappy airplane food.  Sunday... absolutely no idea, whatever England provides!

Off to England (Manchester), Scotland (Edinburgh), France (Paris), and Netherlands (Amsterdam) for the next 2.5 weeks... No Egging for me for awhile.

You can pretty much expect crappy food in England and Scotland but Paris the food will increase greatly. You can think of it like going from a Weber to an Egg.  :)

Safe Travels.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    Options
    BRush00 said:

Just guzzle the Scotch and all will be fine. No need for the Egg.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • Cymbaline65
    Cymbaline65 Posts: 800
    Options
    I wanted to do those Piri Piri wings @Griffin did recently. SWMBO felt otherwise and we all know, if SWMBO is not happy, nobody is happy.
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Found out the new addition will be an inny yesterday so I get to prep and paint the nursery this weekend. At least its supposed to be crappy weather. Gonna stop and get some steel head on the way home to grind up and make blackend fish sandwiches.
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,571
    Options
    I am doing Bleu Cheese burgers tonight..I will be deciding the rest of the weekend over a few adult beverages tonight...
    I think we can expect The Hapster to come out swinging this weekend..Look forward to that..Every one have a great weekend..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    BRush00 said:

You can pretty much expect crappy food in England and Scotland but Paris the food will increase greatly. You can think of it like going from a Weber to an Egg.  :)

Safe Travels.

Thanks a bunch,

We've actually been to England a few times (Wife's family is there), and have had excellent food.  The common-thought that English can't cook is largely a false myth imho.  All about where you go. 

Scotland on the other hand, I cannot speak for. haha

[Insert clever signature line here]
  • JRWhitee
    Options
    It makes a difference if you know where to go but the couple times I was there I was not impressed. On the other hand I didn't have a bad meal in Paris.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    Pizza on Saturday and BB ribs on Sunday. Gonna try the turbo ribs method.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Fresh king salmon and steelhead cough yesterday in lake Michigan. Yep on vacation.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Cymbaline65
    Options
    Lit said:
    Found out the new addition will be an inny yesterday so I get to prep and paint the nursery this weekend. At least its supposed to be crappy weather. Gonna stop and get some steel head on the way home to grind up and make blackend fish sandwiches.
    Sweet! I have two girls and can't imagine the world without them. My brother had the son so no pressure to keep up the family name. Congrats!
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    What's on tap? BEER! And we'll probably eat something, but BEER for sure!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Cymbaline65
    Options
    What's on tap? BEER! And we'll probably eat something, but BEER for sure!
    Well duh! What's the weekend without beer? That's like a day without sunshine. A day without merriment. A bad day indeed!
  • Big50
    Big50 Posts: 39
    Options
    Some filets tonight with baked potatoes and then a couple spatchcocks tomorrow...the flank steak fajitas are one of my families favorites. My 8 year old will eat an entire flank steak by himself if we let him!
    Alexandria, KY
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I am thinking either doing a prime rib roast low and slow, reversed sear, flank stake or rib eye stakes with veggies and potatoes. I need to break in my new 12" CI skillet.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • ChrisgrillsSTLMO
    Options
    Tomorrow is some sort of fish with grilled veggies, Sunday is a pizza. Trying to enjoy this amazing weather in July as much as possible by being outside. SWMBO is voting for mahi-mahi so hopefully I can find some that is acceptable and not crazy expensive.

Cheers!

Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    Just completed the grocery list. Flank Steak Fajitas (from the Naked Whiz and Alton Brown) for Saturday and some fresh Cobia for Sunday. SWMBO is wanting lighter fare and carbs have to go. What's everyone else having?
    Are you doing the flank steak SV by chance? If so, would like to hear bath time and temp?
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • tjosborne
    tjosborne Posts: 529
    Options
    A half barrel of Odell ipa.
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE
  • Cymbaline65
    Options

Probably won't go SV, bweekes. I'm was planning on trying Caveman style (directly on coals). If I were to do it SV, I'd probably shoot for 118-120 for an hour then sear over a super hot fire for 60 seconds per side. Of course, I could change my mind depending on weather, level of exhaustion from yard work as well as the amount of alcohol I've consumed...

• SeahawksEGGHead
    Options

The wife is demanding BBQ chicken, using the following recipe. 

http://howtobbqright.com/bbqchicken.html

rub recipe: http://amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/meatheads_memphis_dust.html

First time I did it, she said it was competition chicken.  I've had to modify the cook time a smidge, but it's the best BBQ we've ever had.

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Got a sunset dinner planned Saturday night with another couple. Doing a couple organic free range spatchocks some zucchini/squash and some asparagus! 

Haven't decided on sunday yet, but I'm leaning towards wings.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    This weekend I am doing some travel trailer maintenance. Need to replace a bent stabilizer jack that was bent when we purchased it new, dealer wouldn't replace it but not surprised after the service we got. Need to install a repeater for the TPMS system, install back up camera (so wife and I stay married another 20 years), treat water tank, install new dimmer light in trailer and then cut the grass and whack the weeds. I think some wings are in my future for some time this weekend.
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    Saturday night will be Jerk Pork night. SWMBO makes the best Jerk Pork marinade that will go on a butterflied 1/2 Boston Butt tonight and the cook will commence tomorrow in the evening. She also makes the best Rice & Beans, so looking forward to it and chilling with my Red Stripe Xtra Bold.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    Brisket today.

I have a Tri Tip I think I'll do on Sunday.

This afternoon I pick up a 'mystery' meat box from my local farmer CSA so tomorrow I'll be cooking whatever they throw at me - hopefully some Ribs or pork chops. If the pork isn't right, I'll get a chicken and spatchcock it. The Spicy Smoked Chicken on Serious Eats (via Pitt 'Cue Co.) looks awesome. I want to try it on the Egg Spatchcocked.

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,571
    Options
    Got a sunset dinner planned Saturday night with another couple. Doing a couple organic free range spatchocks some zucchini/squash and some asparagus! 

Haven't decided on sunday yet, but I'm leaning towards wings.
    Just a suggestion for Sunday..Why don't you dip into that Lobel meat hamper..Just a thought. :-?
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options

The wife is demanding BBQ chicken, using the following recipe. 

http://howtobbqright.com/bbqchicken.html

rub recipe: http://amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/meatheads_memphis_dust.html

First time I did it, she said it was competition chicken.  I've had to modify the cook time a smidge, but it's the best BBQ we've ever had.

Do you do this direct or indirect at what temps? Looks like a fantastic recipe!
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    @bweekes‌ I would aim for a couple degrees above 130 overnight for a medium rare. What was mentioned above will work great also but its more like the hot tub method than sous vide cooking. An advantage of the hot tub method is you can cook to a true medium rare in the 125 degree range where in the sous vide style you don't want to hold less than 130 degrees more than a couple hours tops.