Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Rub Sub

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am doing my second brisket tomorrow. I googled a recipe and decided to use Nature Boy's Eggfest 2000 brisket. I have made the marinade and have the brisket in it now. The final part of the recipe is to "sprinkle good with jj's rub". I don't have any of that and was wondering what I could substitute based on the marinade. Any thoughts?[p]Marinade is red wine vinegar, brown sugar, pineapple juice, molasses, mustard, minced onions, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, and hot sauce.

Comments

• ccrider.disabled
    Options
    Whitetail, Here's the link.

[ul][li]JJ's rub[/ul]
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Whitetail, Wow, that is an old one! But that is a really good marinade. not done that in years. Yeah, I would definitely use a different rub today than back then ;-). [p]Personally I'd put Cow Lick on there, but any good peppery rub would work. With the robust flavors already in the marinade, a simple concoction would prolly be best...something like 1/4 cup salt, 1/4 cup sugar, 2 tbsp fresh ground pepper, 1 tbsp garlic powder. [p]Have fun! I'll be cutting a brisket up into strips tomorrow to cook some jerky!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy,
    Thanks for the help. I try to google everything before asking. I have some of your spices here but not cowlick (just happen to have had tsunami spin on salmon tonight). A friend in the office gave me enough Cowlick for one steak about a month ago. Good stuff just haven’t got around to ordering any yet. Any way thanks. That is what I was looking for, the general flavor I should be shooting at. I’m going with your ad-lib rub. An order for Cowlick on the way. Cheers to You!

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Whitetail,
    No reason to google before asking here! That what the forum is for. That goes for ANY of you lurkers out there (and I know there is a bunch)....you got a question?? That is why the forum is here. Hundreds and hundreds of folks are just dying for questions to answer!!![p]Have fun with the brisket, and don't be shy on the pepper!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • ccrider.disabled
    Options
    Chris, I was talking with Shotgun Fred at the party after Eggtoberfest and comparing our jerky. He also makes his jerky with smoked brisket He told me to call him at work to get the recipe and procedure. I tried but he was always busy or gone. Could you give me some hints?
    Charlie

• ccrider, You be sure and save me a BIG sample. I got a couple briskets resting in the downstairs fridge I plan to fix over the holidays.
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Hey Charlie. How you doin mang?
    I have probably done jerky 4 times in 6 years, so I am no expert. I change it up a little each time, and have had pretty good results....but nowhwere near consistent (maybe that's cuz I change it up everytime?? LOL)[p]Anyways, start with a lean beef....I love brisket. Stick it in the freezer for an hour and slice thin WITH the grain...maybe 3/16 inch thick.[p]Here is the marinade I am using....just pencilled it down...I am kinda wingin it, but I want a peppery sweet jerky. [p]1 cup soy sauce
    3/4 cup turbinado sugar
    1/4 cup whats dis chere sauce
    2 tbsp sherry
    1 tbsp granulated garlic
    1 tbsp Sriracha Chili Sauce
    2 tbsp Cow Lick
    1 tsp tenderquick[p]I'll marinate overnight, then cook em up tomorrow. Hanging them is good if you can set it up, but I have used GFW's old layering method with success. Anyways, however you lay them out the more airflow around the pieces the better it dries. If you can keep it between 160 and 180 dome, then that is good. Usually between 6 and 10 hours depending on the heat and the thickness of the slice, and the particular cut of beef you use. I go really light on the smoke.[p]Hope it helps! There are quite a few folks here who have completed dozens of jerky cooks, and I'm sure they'll chime in! I just started rambling cuz I happen to have some in the ondeck circle! Brisket is in the freezer firming up now.
    Have fun!
    Chris[p]

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    wetjerky.jpg
    <p />The brisket is all sliced and in the marinade. After tasting, I decided to add a tsp of chipotle. Same as above plus the chipotle! Have a good feeling about this batch.
    Hee!
    Cheers
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Options
    jerkage.jpg
    <p />ccrider,[p]Here's some brisket jerky.[p]Great stuff.[p]Mick

• Nature Boy
    Options
    MickeyT,
    I'm Jonsin man. I still got another 30 hours or so....dang, dats purdy.
    Cheers
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]"Really light on the smoke"...Good advise as many over do it.[p]For consistant cooking, I like to work on the slices just a little with a meat hammer, just enough to make sure they all are the same thickness. I think it makes them take the marinade easier too.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    thirdeye,
    Sounds like a goood idea.
    Cheers
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Smokin Joe
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Man that looks gooood! Just finished up munching on some turkey jerky that I cooked a week ago for the Mon night game here in ATL. Good stuff, but I cant believe it lasted that long! [p]Sending good karma & mojo your way, but I doubt that you need much... LOL Joe

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Smokin Joe,
    I need all the karma and mojo i can get lemme tellya what.[p]Same back to you!
    Beers
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • MickeyT,
    OK, that's pretty tasty looking.... how'd ya do it?
    Thanks...
    DT

• MickeyT
    Options
    david Thomas,[p]If you google Randy and jerky you will come up with his site.
    I have it at work. Sorry.[p]It is a combination of soy sauce. steak sauce. sherry etc.... [p]Mick

[ul][li][url=http:// ]http:// [/url][/ul]
  • MickeyT
    Options
    jerkysesame.jpg
    <p />Chris,[p]
    If your gonna jones, might as well be with an Asian spin.[p]Peace.[p]Mick

• Smokin Joe
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Muchos grassyash! Joe

• Nature Boy