Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cap gasket

Options
MJH
MJH Posts: 102
Need to replace mine. Any suggestions? Much obliged in advance of your invaluable solutions. Regards....

Comments

• BigGreenGator
    Options
    I see a lot of videos on you tube ... Many egg users don't even have that gasket installed ???

Large Big Green Egg / Ceramic Grill 2 Tier grate / Maverick ET-733 / homemade egg station / Amelia Island Fl. "Go Gators"

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    cap? You mean dome and base?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    No - the ceramic top that shuts of airflow on top of the dome.  I've seen some that have gaskets.  Mine was a year old and no gasket came with it.
  • RRP
    edited July 2014
    Options
    No - the ceramic top that shuts of airflow on top of the dome.  I've seen some that have gaskets.  Mine was a year old and no gasket came with it.

A short piece of gasket will seal it fine - your dealer might be ble to sell you the short piece necessary if he sells in bulk. BTW it appears you post here as both MJH as well as Spaightlabs?
  • RRP
    edited July 2014
    Options
    RRP said:

A short piece of gasket will seal it fine - your dealer might be ble to sell you the short piece necessary if he sells in bulk. 
    BTW another real cheap solution that will work for sealing just the cap itself is to line the topmost part of the cap with a strip of inexpensive thick felt sold for sealing around doors and windows for weatherproofing. While it is not fireproof it is out of harms way and all it is doing is sealing off air flow. Whatever though make sure it has no plastic components. 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I put a nomex gasket on the ceramic cap and it seals tight.  The fire snuffs out real fast now and I ALWAYS have leftover lump now.!  

The downside is I'm getting mold inside my egg much more quickly. I wonder if anyone else has noticed this or if it's just because it's raining so much.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • RRP
    Options
    I put a nomex gasket on the ceramic cap and it seals tight.  The fire snuffs out real fast now and I ALWAYS have leftover lump now.!  

The downside is I'm getting mold inside my egg much more quickly. I wonder if anyone else has noticed this or if it's just because it's raining so much.
    more than likely the rain is wicking in around your main gaskets, not the dome cap. Have you ever checked to see if the ashes under the grate are damp?
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    Mine didn't come with one. I was none the wiser and it works great without it.
    "If ignorance is bliss, then 'tis folly to be wise."

:D

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    I melted the gasket off my cap the first time I used my BGE. I never replaced it, and have never missed it.

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • MJH
    MJH Posts: 102
    Options
    Thanks for tips.

I definitely find that I burn more lump without it. Obviously because it continues to burn longer after I cap it. Very, very noticeable.

@RRP aka Ron Pratt, Dunlap, IL‌ I only post as MJH. No idea how you get the impression I have a different handle.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I didn't have a gasket for he ceramic tops and it extinguished fine.  I now have smokeware tops on both my eggs.  I guess it doesn't hurt to put a gasket on the ceramic tops.  Don't the gasket on the egg - just the top.
    Options
    MJH said:
     @RRP aka Ron Pratt, Dunlap, IL‌ I only post as MJH. No idea how you get the impression I have a different handle.
    Sorry - but right after you asked the question I asked "cap? You mean dome and base?"

to which Spaightlabs immediately replied "No - the ceramic top that shuts of airflow on top of the dome.  I've seen some that have gaskets.  Mine was a year old and no gasket came with it."

It just struck me that you may have been the same person since he answered my question directed to you - sorry if that offended you!