Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Has Anyone Tried Brining Pork Ribs?

Options
I have a weekend coming up with nothing planned but to cook something and want to try something new. I am thinking of brining some ribs, maybe even use a little pink salt in the solution. Has anyone ever tried this or am I wasting my time?
San Angelo, texas

Comments

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Never tried it, but it sounds like it could be good.  Ribs with a cured Ham / cured bacon flavor.
    Personally, I think it sounds like something that would be scrumpdilicious.  if you sauce/glaze them in the end, maybe a mustard-orange marmelade glaze would be the ticket.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I would skip the pink salt unless you are doing it for a week. If you want toenhance the smoke ring, spread the pink salt over the ribs and let sit for 15 minutes and rinse. Just brine in sugar and kosher salt solution.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    If you're going to do it +1 on what @little Steven said.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I brined ribs once, followed an Alton Brown recipe. Don't remember it knocking my socks off, so never bothered with it again. YMMV.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • dayzed&confused
    Options
    I think I'll try Little Steven's method. A good smoke ring is always impressive.
    San Angelo, texas
  • Sm62577
    Sm62577 Posts: 30
    Options
    Don't bother, waste of time.. Marinating is good sometimes but just a good rub is the way to go..
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    Options
    I have marinated ribs before and the flavor does come through at the end. For example the first couple times I used bottled lemon juice. When I started using real lemons everyone noticed the more lemony flavor.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.