Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

INDUSTRIAL INFRARED THERMOMETER from ThermoWorks

Options
Does anyone have the Industrial Infrared Thermometer from ThermoWorks? They are on sale for $39. Just trying to get some reviews on this product before purchasing. Thanks
L-BGE | Westminster, MD

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    I have an infrared thermometer that was 20$ at harbor freight that works great and pretty accurate
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• frankc623
    frankc623 Posts: 168
    Options
    @grege345 - I saw that in the Harbor Freight ad the other day, I wasn't sure how well it would be based on the price. I will definately consider it.
    L-BGE | Westminster, MD
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Something to consider is that the Harbor Freight device has the emissivity fixed at 0.95, while the Thermoworks unit has adjustable emissivity.  Different materials have different emissivities. Thermoworks Emissivity Table
    The Naked Whiz
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    I have the Thermoworks Infrared Thermo and it works great. I use it for my Pizza cooks to check the temperature of the Pizza stone. It does not get used as much as my Thermapen.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    I have that thermoworks infrared thermo also . . . works well & lots of fun to play with.

EXAMPLE: I always test to see what is hotter . . . . my wifes armpits or underneath my dogs ear flaps
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    NDG said:
    I have that thermoworks infrared thermo also . . . works well & lots of fun to play with.

EXAMPLE: I always test to see what is hotter . . . . my wifes armpits or underneath my dogs ear flaps
    IR thermometers can save your marriage.  My wife has cold hands.  You wouldn't believe how cold they can get unless you feel them yourself.  One winter night, outside temp is around freezing, and we go out to walk the dog.  I didn't wear gloves.  My wife wore reasonably warm gloves.  As soon as we got in the door I check the temp on the back of her hand and then mine.  Hers: 84 degrees.  Mine: 94 degrees.  I now believe her......
    The Naked Whiz
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I don't mean to complicate your life but here is another option. I own this model, but bought it on sale a few years back. Note is is now $59 vs. regular $84, but the advantage with this model is you buy the probe kit then presto! your have both a I.R.K. thermometer and the same capabilities as their Thermapen which by itself sells for like $90. Now the kit model is on sale for $84  vs. regular $104. I know it's more money, but more bang for the buck too.
    The link:
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I had a cheaper one (might be the HF one don't remember) and I maxed it out. The Thermoworks has a higher max temp. I like the Thermoworks one. It comes with a cool holster as well.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    Want.
    1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • dayzed&confused
    Options
    I bought a HF a few years back. Worked great for a few months then craped out on me. The laze still works so now it is a pet toy. They may have improved them by now.
    San Angelo, texas
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    Options
    I own a much more expensive one from Fluke.  I bought it while I was still employed as an Industrial Maintenance Mechanic.  It can make many jobs easier and it does work excellently for keeping track of the pizza stone temp.  The emissivity adjustment is handy if you need to make critical measurements, but if yours is not adjustable and your pizza stone reads 650° and it makes good pizza use that number as a reference for future cooks.  The adjustments make it very accurate, but since a turbo cook works from anywhere from 350-425, most of what we do makes it immaterial as long as it is repeatable.  Find your sweet spot and use it the next time.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I belong to a car club that has one.  We use it to measure tire temps after a 1/2 hour run on a road course track.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    I have both, the thermoworks and a HF cheapo. The Thermoworks does duty tuning the bike, measuring exhaust temps, the HF is fine for Pizza stone temps - which is just about smack on .95. 
    For $39 the Thermoworks is a good buy - also good suggestion from @RRP....if you have the $84 for the IR and probe, it is well worth it. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • frankc623
    frankc623 Posts: 168
    Options
    Thanks for the input guys. @RPR that would be cool but probably doesn't make a lot of sense to get that if I have a thermapen and a guru.
    L-BGE | Westminster, MD
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    frankc623 said:
    Thanks for the input guys. @RPR that would be cool but probably doesn't make a lot of sense to get that if I have a thermapen and a guru.

Oh I agree! I just offered that optional approach of an upgrade for the dual purpose for a very reasonable savings and as a back up.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    What exactly is "emissivity"?  
    I think I have one thing that exhibits "emissivity", but it's not my thermometer... 

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    Botch said:
    What exactly is "emissivity"?  
    I think I have one thing that exhibits "emissivity", but it's not my thermometer... 
    You have to wipe your bottom afterwards - I think.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields