Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Egg is Cracked!!

I was sitting next to my XL as it was coming up temp today and noticed a big crack in my base. It runs from about halfway down on the left side across the lower vent opening and partway across the bottom. I am waiting for the egg to cool to determine if crack goes thru to the interior. (Sorry pictures posted sideways).

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    It happens, but as long as you bought it with the warranty then replacement is a given. Albeit a hassle, but better than having to bite the bullet and buy a replacement on your own as they are quite expensive a la carte!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    That sucks. How old is it?
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Yep, it sucks. Happened to me a few weeks ago. Contact your dealer for a warranty claim.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Camben
    Camben Posts: 24
    I had it happen to me also. Bottom of egg and firebox. I used JB weld and furnace cement on everything. I have no warranty so it's my only option. Good luck
    LG BGE, plate setter, highQ grate, Ceramic Grill Works 2 Tier rack, Smokeware SS vent cap, BBQ GURU Party Q, super fast Ravens purple Thermapen and Maverick ET-732
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 558
    The base was replaced under warranty. I received the base a few days after I filed the claim. I removed the original gasket and installed a new Rutland (thanks RRP).image

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Just replaced my base the other day as it was cracked underneath also.Little hastle in assembling but not too bad.
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • TomRaz
    TomRaz Posts: 22
    Just curious, are the cracks only appearing on the XL version of the eggs ?
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145

TomRaz said:
    Just curious, are the cracks only appearing on the XL version of the eggs ?
    There have been a few L with cracks too. It happens...
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • TomRaz
    TomRaz Posts: 22
    Assuming you are the original purchaser then thank goodness for the warranty
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    TomRaz said:
    Assuming you are the original purchaser then thank goodness for the warranty

:-bd
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I originally bought a couple used eggs but have since started replacing them with new ones with warranties. People buy these used off Craigslist and don't realize that they do crack and a good portion of the high price to buy them is the warranty. My mini is my only used egg left and I got it for $140 so if it ever cracks I am ok with that but used eggs no matter what condition they are in should never be over 50% of the new price.
  • ivada
    ivada Posts: 25
    Quick question about the "buying it with a warranty" comment.  I bought it new from Ace - there's nothing we need to do to "activate" the warranty or buy any sort of warranty plan separately right?  I assume the only way you'd be out of warranty is if you bought used and are not the original owner, right?
  • StillSmoken
    StillSmoken Posts: 327
    @ivada. Go to BGE website and Registrar your egg. It's right on the front page of the website.
    Kennesaw Ga. XL Egg. Cheers, Kevin
  • ivada
    ivada Posts: 25
    @ivada. Go to BGE website and Registrar your egg. It's right on the front page of the website.
    Done - thank you!