Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A few questions after 3 weeks

Options
Ok I've cooked steaks 650 degs
We've cooked ribs 275 degs
And tonight chicken legs and thighs 375 degs

Here's the questions
1. Sometimes after I light the egg and the thick white smoke stops I'll add the wood to smoke and it seems like it's the same smoke as before ??
2. When we cooked the ribs I wanted to do a 220 slow smoke but couldn't get it down and stay down at that temp even when just about closing it off ???
3. And tonight I wanted to get it up to 375 and keep it there ... I left bottom and top fully open to achieve that temp ..last week when I cooked my last week when we cooked steaks I did that and got it up to 675????

Large Big Green Egg / Ceramic Grill 2 Tier grate / Maverick ET-733 / homemade egg station / Amelia Island Fl. "Go Gators"

Comments

• KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options

Sounds like airflow issues.  Are you cleaning out your ash or at least stirring your leftover lump prior to loading and lighting again?  If not, the holes in the grate will get a bit clogged and restrict airflow making temp inconsistent. 

And with the rib cook, you might have let it get too high too long and had a hard time dialing it back down to 220.  That said, you are better off in the 250-270 range for ribs anyway in my experience. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• BigGreenGator
    Options
    @KennyLee‌ thanks for the reply no I didn't stir the left over coals & ash :/ and I knew to do that to dang it and I have not cleaned out ash at the bottom yet, I've looked in there and it didn't seem like a lot accumulated yet but I will now :)

Large Big Green Egg / Ceramic Grill 2 Tier grate / Maverick ET-733 / homemade egg station / Amelia Island Fl. "Go Gators"

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    KennyLee said:

Sounds like airflow issues.  Are you cleaning out your ash or at least stirring your leftover lump prior to loading and lighting again?  If not, the holes in the grate will get a bit clogged and restrict airflow making temp inconsistent. 

And with the rib cook, you might have let it get too high too long and had a hard time dialing it back down to 220.  That said, you are better off in the 250-270 range for ribs anyway in my experience. 

*Agreed.

250-270 is what I do my ribs at. FYI, I'm not in the Turbo camp ... I do my ribs and butts 'low and slow' 

I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options
    @KennyLee‌ thanks for the reply no I didn't stir the left over coals & ash :/ and I knew to do that to dang it and I have not cleaned out ash at the bottom yet, I've looked in there and it didn't seem like a lot accumulated yet but I will now :)
    I don't clean mine out after every cook, maybe every 3-4.  But always stir before each cook and always clean out totally (shop vac) before a low and slow, just FYI.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Add the wood at the start. Don't hit it w. fire. The heat from the coals will break down the wood to flavor. "Good" smoke is mostly invisible, and from wood sort of baking away.

220F is very hard to maintain. Best I've done was 180 for about 3 hours. Unless you are trying to hot smoke something like fish, meats need more heat. If the heat isn't above steam temperature, the meat will take forever to cook. Aim around 250F dome, +/- 15F.

Calibrate your dome therm. Put the probe into a pot of boiling water. High temp cooks can wack it out. Use the nut below the dial to adjust the needle if it is not registering right.

If the therm is OK, most likely it is an ash clog.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    If you want to 220, ease up to it. Once it hits 275 it'll take a while for it to come back down.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • BigGreenGator
    Options
    Great input thanks for the help :)@henapple‌ @gdenby‌ @SoCalTim‌

• BigGreenGator
    Options
    So what I've learned so far is that you must clean your ashhole for good air flow =))