Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anybody got a good Irish sausage recipe?

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,880
Granted I can find many recipes Googling IS, but I don't care to experiment. OTOH if I could buy some IS commercially that would be even better - so if anybody has any sure fire brand winner let me know that too!
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    @RRP. If you have a Fresh Market near you, their Irish Bangers are terrific. Mashed taters, onions in a rich brown gray to go with - I'm drooling .
    I'm not too sure but I think they use a little marjoram in their mix.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• RRP
    Thank you for the suggestion but Irish bangers are not the same as Irish sausage - though it is a common misunderstanding - they really are two different things with the spices involved plus bangers are stuffed but Irish sausage is not.
  • HDumptyEsq
    Who knew!

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671

RRP said:
    Thank you for the suggestion but Irish bangers are not the same as Irish sausage - though it is a common misunderstanding - they really are two different things with the spices involved plus bangers are stuffed but Irish sausage is not.
    are they in patty form or just loose ground, be interested in seeing a recipe. the old english place near me makes two varieties of bangers and sausages, one pork sausage and the other tomato banger, both are fairly mild and they both are sold in breakfast sized links and between a breakfast link and a traditionally sized sausage.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP

RRP said:
    are they in patty form or just loose ground, be interested in seeing a recipe. the old english place near me makes two varieties of bangers and sausages, one pork sausage and the other tomato banger, both are fairly mild and they both are sold in breakfast sized links and between a breakfast link and a traditionally sized sausage.
    What is served here at our two Irish pubs/restaurants are in patty form. As for addressing the difference here is an Irish opinion piece:
  • RRP
    edited July 2014
    Most recipes I have read call for rosemary. Here's a typical Irish Sausage recipe:
    Homemade Irish Sausage Ingredients:

• 5-lbs ground pork
    • 3-tsp thyme
    • 3-tsp dried rosemary
    • 5-cups breadcrumbs
    • 3-tsp dried basil
    • 4-eggs, lightly beaten
    • 8-cloves garlic, minced
    • 3-tsp marjoram
    • 1 1/2-tbsp salt
    • 3-tsp black pepper
    • 1-cup water

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    RRP said:

RRP said:
    What is served here at our two Irish pubs/restaurants are in patty form. As for addressing the difference here is an Irish opinion piece:
    i wonder what the difference in flavor is, the traditional pork sausage here is finely ground and definitely more like a country sage type flavor, the bangers start out darker and somewhat reddish before cooking and no sage flavor at all
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Never had Irish Sausage before. Now you've got me intrigued. I saw that same recipe on a site that I have had pretty good success with other sausage recipes so it might be pretty good. Thing that gets me is the breadcrumbs. Seems like a lot of filler for a sausage, but like I said, I've never had them before so it could be the norm.

Went and looked around, though, and it seems like 1 cup of breadcrumbs per pound of pork is what most seem to use.

So what kind of meal do you usually serve them with? Are they a breakfast or dinner kinda meal and what else do you eat with them? You got me wanting to break out the sausage gear this weekend now.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• RRP
    Griffin said:

Never had Irish Sausage before. Now you've got me intrigued. I saw that same recipe on a site that I have had pretty good success with other sausage recipes so it might be pretty good. Thing that gets me is the breadcrumbs. Seems like a lot of filler for a sausage, but like I said, I've never had them before so it could be the norm.

Went and looked around, though, and it seems like 1 cup of breadcrumbs per pound of pork is what most seem to use.

So what kind of meal do you usually serve them with? Are they a breakfast or dinner kinda meal and what else do you eat with them? You got me wanting to break out the sausage gear this weekend now.

The only way the IS is served at either place locally is fried oblong and served on a long roll with a choice of melted cheese. My favorite is hot pepper cheese and topped with grilled onions and mushrooms. On occasion over the years I have noticed an abundance of rosemary, but I assume that was merely from improper grinding. I knew the butcher shop that ground their IS and asked to buy some one time and was told that was a proprietary recipe so no, they would not sell any.
  • HDumptyEsq
    @RRP. Looking at your recipe, it doesn't look that different to what an English banger might contain. I used to work for a butcher in London when I was a kid and made sausages for him. The recipe was similar.
    Bear in mind there are micro regions in England alone, never mind the rest of the Isles and attachments. A sausage made in Derbyshire will be different, while only slightly, than one made in Surrey. 
    The English are more lightly to buy bangers in casings (it's convenient for today) and strip them when at home. My mum used to stuff chickens with sausage meat.
    I think it may be more to do with the name difference than the make-up. 
    As the Irish blogger said in his article; the Irish don't refer to bangers, especially since "The Troubles"

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

• RRP
    @HDumptyEsq thanks for your insightful reply!
  • HDumptyEsq
    @RRP. I don't think it helped you find any. With your talents you should do your own anyway.
    BTW, a good sausage patty would still go well with mashed taters (or maybe Colcannon) and a brown onion gravy. Comfort food for the Navvies.
    :)

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

• HDumptyEsq
    Griffin said:

@Grffin. Most recipes for sausages in England, Wales and Ireland call for breadcrumbs for filler. The Scots would typically use oats, as in Haggis which, in essence , is a kind of sausage. 
    After WW11, meat was rationed so families had to "bulk up" dishes with all kinds of additives. I remember mum creaming margarine in with the butter- butter was rationed, margarine wasn't. Stews were popular because you could add cheap veggies to very little meat and add barley, rice or potatoes. It's one of the reasons that British food is regarded as bland. Not any more, thank goodness.
    Sausages are eaten for breakfast, lunch and dinner. A sausage sandwich with HP steak sauce and a mug of piping hot tea is good any time of day (or night, like a wWhite Castle or Chrystal).
    Think about how many different types of sausages are all around the world.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited July 2014
    I am sorry for my previous post. I am sorry for my previous post. I am sorry for my previous post. I am sorry for my previous post. I am sorry for my previous post. I am sorry for my previous post. I am sorry for my previous post. I am sorry for my previous post. I am sorry for my previous post. I am sorry for my previous post. I am sorry for my previous post. I am sorry for my previous post. I am sorry for my previous post. I am sorry for my previous post. I am sorry for my previous post. I am sorry for my previous post. I am sorry for my previous post. I am sorry for my previous post. I am sorry for my previous post. I am sorry for my previous post. I am sorry for my previous post. I am sorry for my previous post. I am sorry for my previous post. I am sorry for my previous post. I am sorry for my previous post. I am sorry for my previous post. I am sorry for my previous post. I am sorry for my previous post. I am sorry for my previous post. I am sorry for my previous post. I am sorry for my previous post. I am sorry for my previous post. I am sorry for my previous post. I am sorry for my previous post. I am sorry for my previous post. I am sorry for my previous post. I am sorry for my previous post. I am sorry for my previous post. I am sorry for my previous post. I am sorry for my previous post. I am sorry for my previous post. I am sorry for my previous post. I am sorry for my previous post. I am sorry for my previous post. I am sorry for my previous post. I am sorry for my previous post. I am sorry for my previous post. I am sorry for my previous post. I am sorry for my previous post. I am sorry for my previous post. I am sorry for my previous post. I am sorry for my previous post. I am sorry for my previous post. I am sorry for my previous post. I am sorry for my previous post. I am sorry for my previous post. I am sorry for my previous post. I am sorry for my previous post. I am sorry for my previous post. I am sorry for my previous post. I am sorry for my previous post. I am sorry for my previous post. I am sorry for my previous post.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    I have an Irish Cook Book that was a James Beard winner but haven't tried any of the sausage recipes yet. Now I will LOL..........Have you ever had Romanian Mitete skinless sausage? 
    Dearborn MI
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Thanks for the info @RRP and @HDumptyEsq The reasoning behind the filler makes a lot of sense. Didn't think about that. Still thinking of trying some this weekend in SWMBOed doesn't have a big Honey-Do list for me to complete.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• HDumptyEsq
    KenfromMI said:
    I have an Irish Cook Book that was a James Beard winner but haven't tried any of the sausage recipes yet. Now I will LOL..........Have you ever had Romanian Mitete skinless sausage? 
    I don't think people here know where Romania is! So no, but I'll look fir it.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

• KenfromMI
    My wife is half German and that side always makes a dish called Goetta. Its a slow cooked pork dish simmered with Pin Head oats as a filler. It is then placed in a bread pan and cooked further. You then slice it and fry it for breakfast like a sausage patty. Every culture used fillers to stretch meat at some point.  
    Dearborn MI
  • KenfromMI
    Humpty, I have a Romanian friend and her parent's make it for Holidays etc. It truly is one of the best sausages I have ever had in my life. They mix the meat a day or two in advance and use some baking soda as well to plump the meat and let the flavors blend..........And this is coming from a Polack LOL  
    Dearborn MI
  • HDumptyEsq
    Thanks, @KenfromMI, I'll look for a recipe and try it.
    I used to visit Ford Motor Company in Dearborn. They own the property that the Ritz Carlton stands on. We used to get the Ford rate - $99 a night
    :)

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

• KenfromMI
    They are old school and don't have a written recipe. They were supposed to let me make it with them and teach me but a family falling out put the kabash on that. There are several recipes online that all seem close to the ingredients they used. I guess like all things everyone will have their own opinions on how much of each spice etc.     
    Dearborn MI
  • HDumptyEsq
    @kenfromMI. I just found a recipe for mitetei. It looks really good. Gonna try it. I'll let you know…...

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

• Cloom
    Cloom Posts: 21
    Galtee makes a pretty good Irish sausage and you can find them online. If you can find the cocktail size those make great appetizers. Tommy Maloneys is another national brand of Irish sausage that can be found on the internet. Usually English style Bangers taste just about the same as Irish sausages but are usually deep fried as opposed to pan fried and there is a little difference in the taste. They are usually bigger than Irish sausages also, more of a dinner then a breakfast sausage if that makes sense.

If I had a choice of an American made Irish sausage I would go with the Galtee, not sure what you are getting at your local joint but the Galtee tastes like just like a sausage from Ireland IMHO.
  • KJWILD
    KJWILD Posts: 95
    Never made this, but found it online. Irish Sausage Recipe 2 lbs of ground pork (if you can get a butcher to grind it for you fresh, ask for pork ground from the shoulder butt, otherwise, just use regular ground pork) 1 egg 1 cup of bread crumbs ¾ cup of cold water 1 and ¼ tsps of salt 1 and ½ tsps of dried thyme 1 tsp dried marjoram 1 tsp freshly cracked black pepper ½ tsp or dried rosemary 4 cloves of garlic, flattened and finely minced Sausage casings (these are generally sold salted and refrigerated. To use, for small batches, just take off a couple of strands, rinse out well with cold water two or three times and then stuff, twisting as you go to form links. Mix together all ingredients (except for the casings!). Take a small amount and fry or microwave it up and then taste for seasoning, and adjust seasoning if necessary Once seasoned to your liking, use a wide mouthed funnel (I often cut a water bottle and use that as a funnel) stuck into the end of a sausage casing, and then press the meat through the funnel into the casing. Divide the casing into links by twisting at intervals, and then refrigerate for a day or two
    Husband, Father, Grandfather and Chef of the Home Front. XL BGE- purchased on 5/28/2014
  • KJWILD
    KJWILD Posts: 95
    Check out this website, they have numerous sausage recipes and all the gadgets any man could want. http://www.meatprocessingproducts.com
    Husband, Father, Grandfather and Chef of the Home Front. XL BGE- purchased on 5/28/2014