Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I want a JUICY PORK CHOP . . what cut is best?

Options
NDG
NDG Posts: 2,431
edited July 2014 in Pork
BONE-IN PORK on sale down the street from me and I am craving a juicy chop . . . . should I go with BONE-IN PORK LOIN?  or RIB CHOPS? or LOIN CHOPS? 

Once I get the meat, I am going to try the simple Blonder Brine (just salt & water) from amazingribs.com.  It only takes an hour and looks super easy compared to the complex Rhulman brines I have been using.  I am curious about the final taste compares.

Thanks in advance for the pork selection help . . .
Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 

Comments

• HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    @NDG. These things are a question of personal preference but IMHO Pork Loin Chops, if brined, are wonderful.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• LBC Dawg
    LBC Dawg Posts: 116
    Options
    Biggest key to juicy is temp. I usually pull chops around 145. Always good. 
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    I would get the thick's ones i could i would Loin Chops not paying for the bone but that's me 
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    Bone in roast for me, brine in your favorite brine then slow roast at 250 with apple wood chuncks indirect until 120 with your favorite rub then pull the plate setter and go 500 direct until 140/145 yummy right here.
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • NDG
    Options
    wow - thanks!  Think I will go with a thick pork loin chops and cook it indirect as @grillmagic says . . . pics to come later. 
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    recently ive been going with sirloin pork chops with all the bones, some gets a little dry but some areas just come out juicy and tender. partially frozen, high heat, and basted with bbq sauce. if i really want juicy though, i go with the little centercut tbone lamb candy chops
    :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Options
    Bone in use one of apl's apple juice based brines.
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Options
    I'm a fan of centercut loin chops .. the pork porterhouse.  If they are packaged and any of them are covered .. make sure the tenderloin is on all of them.. that is what you are paying for.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Sous vide a rib chop at 135 then sear and you will fall in love
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
     the little centercut tbone lamb candy chops
    :D
    I love those.
    NOLA
  • NDG
    Options
    Little late on my response . . but here are some pics of the cook.  I did the amazingribs Blonder Brine and then followed the amazingribs Kermits Pork Chop technique almost exactly (instructions below - except I used mickeys coffee rub before they hit the EGG) . . . and it was an ammmazingly juicy chop.  My wife is usually not excited about pork chops - but she ate the whole thing and was raving about the flavor . .  try it out!  

1) Trim excess fat. If you have loin chops, there is a band of fat around the perimeter. Beneath the fat is a thin layer of connective tissue called silverskin. You should remove it because as it cooks it shrinks and causes the meat to form a cup. The fat will not penetrate the meat so there is no reason to leave it on unless you like eating the fat. In that case, cut at least two slits through the fat and the silverskin right down to the meat.

2) Fill a 1 gallon plastic zipper bag with the brine, add the chops, place the bag in a bowl to catch any leaks, and refrigerate for no more than hour. Thinner chops will take half that time. While they are brining, setup your grill for 2-zone or Indirect cooking.

3) Season the chops with black pepper, but no salt (they have enough from the brine). Don't bother with your favorite barbecue rub. Not needed.

4) Put them on the indirect side of the grill, paint both sides with sauce, and let them cook with the lid down. Flip them after about 20 minutes and paint them again. After another 20 minutes or so, you're ready to eat. If your indirect side is about 225°F, cooking time will be about 45 to 60 minutes for 1" chops. Please use a good digital thermometer to get them cooked properly, 145°F in the center, max. If you are cooking over direct heat, don't add the sauce until just before the chops are ready or else it will burn.

5) If you want to get fancy and add grill marks, when the meat hits about 125°F, paint on the sauce, and then move them to direct heat and remove the lid. After 3 minutes rotate them 45 degrees to get cross hatching. 3 minutes more and flip, paint, 3 minutes more and rotate. You've got to be careful here, this is a great way to incinerate the sauce and overcook the meat. You want the lid off so the meat is cooking only on the bottom side. Remove them when the centers are 140 to 145°F.

Columbus, OH

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    Very Nice, making memories right there.....
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Good quality fresh meat, brine if you want, pull at 135 max.