Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Custom Knives - May Need an Intervention Here!!

Help - I've fallen and I can't get up!!  Saw this one and it was calling my name.  These knives are so beautiful and unique.  They are also wicked sharp and surprisingly affordable. imageimage
Santa Paula, CA

Comments

• cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    nice knives  how  are you going to keep them sharp and were did you get them 
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Face it, you're doomed. Soon you'll be getting anxious that the edge doesn't have a mirror finish.
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    cook861 said:
    nice knives  how  are you going to keep them sharp and were did you get them 

I have the Ken Onion Work Sharp sharpener. Once you start using REALLY sharp knives, you need something to keep all your knives sharp. These Damascus knives were purchased from a knife maker who sells from a Facebook presence. His account is Damascus Chef Knives on FB. If you don't do Facebook, I can give you an email address. I've found him to be very reliable in my 4 purchases, and he makes some truly beautiful knives. They are high quality and cost far less than I expected.
    Santa Paula, CA
  • tksmoke
    gdenby said:
    Face it, you're doomed. Soon you'll be getting anxious that the edge doesn't have a mirror finish.

Doomed... What do you mean soon? I keep the work sharp close at hand. All 4 of these knives pass the paper cutting test with flying colors - I have to admit that I did a little polishing on one, even though it was scary sharp. I have to caution guests at my house about using any of my knives. If you aren't familiar with sharp knives, careless handling WILL result in nasty (if very clean) cuts. One friend used one to do some Thanksgiving carving. Moments after I cautioned him, he was bleeding profusely.
    Santa Paula, CA
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    tksmoke said:
    gdenby said:

Doomed... What do you mean soon? I keep the work sharp close at hand. All 4 of these knives pass the paper cutting test with flying colors - I have to admit that I did a little polishing on one, even though it was scary sharp. I have to caution guests at my house about using any of my knives. If you aren't familiar with sharp knives, careless handling WILL result in nasty (if very clean) cuts. One friend used one to do some Thanksgiving carving. Moments after I cautioned him, he was bleeding profusely.
    Yeah, most people don't understand that a good knife is a giant razor, and one brush of the edge draws blood.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I believe your original post someone posted a link to Devin Thomas custom knives and I have been eyeing them every since. I am almost done with buying knives but I want to replace my 8" Gyuto with a custom damascus since its my go to knife. May have to wait until tax returns though to sneak this purchase past wifey.Those knives are very nice looking.
  • tksmoke
    edited July 2014
    @Lit - When Damascus chef knives finishes a new knife, he sends me (and others on his list) photos by private message. I have what might be characterized as a "healthy" collection of knives, from old junkers, some 40 year old Chicago cutlery, and very nice Shun knives. I still drool over his knives, even though I have exactly the same type and size knife. He had some beautiful and very unique gyuto like chefs knives last week - I was sorely tempted...
    Santa Paula, CA
  • @tksmoke those are really beautiful.

What do you use that top 'cleaver'-like knife for (The top one in the set of 4).  interesting shape you don't see in chef's bags usually.  Just curious if you use it regularly, or just admire it.

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • tksmoke
    Funny you should ask. I have a nice cleaver, but saw this one, and the rest is history. I haven't found a great use for it. It does a good job of chopping; it has good weight and balance. I may ask him to make me another like this, but with a longer chopping edge. A more traditional cleaver seems more functional and versatile. It's a conversation piece, no doubt. This goes counter to my philosophy, because all my knives are used regularly.
    Santa Paula, CA
  • SJ21XDC
    SJ21XDC Posts: 235
    tksmoke said:
    Help - I've fallen and I can't get up!!  Saw this one and it was calling my name.  These knives are so beautiful and unique.  They are also wicked sharp and surprisingly affordable. imageimage
    These are beautiful!!  Can you give me an idea on what each knife cost?

XL & Mini-Max

Chattanooga, TN

• Letz4wheel
    Letz4wheel Posts: 236
    Absolutly beautiful work!
    Southern Indiana
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    What about this knife. http://youtu.be/0fT7Ij8ubLM
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • tksmoke

SJ21XDC said:

I would rather not be specific about the cost of the knives - if you contact Damascus Chef Knives, he will give you a quote on what he has available.  As a ballpark, think between $75 and $150, depending on what you are buying.  Compared to the commercially available alternatives, they are an incredible bargain.

Check out these - Incredible...

Santa Paula, CA
  • SJ21XDC
    SJ21XDC Posts: 235
    tksmoke said:

SJ21XDC said:

I would rather not be specific about the cost of the knives - if you contact Damascus Chef Knives, he will give you a quote on what he has available.  As a ballpark, think between $75 and $150, depending on what you are buying.  Compared to the commercially available alternatives, they are an incredible bargain.

Check out these - Incredible...

I fully understand.  Prices seem very reasonable!  Do you have a contact name, phone # or email?

XL & Mini-Max

Chattanooga, TN

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Does he make different style handles? I can't do western style handles. His blades look nice though.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Those are sweet indeed. Mad jelly here.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    The price range you listed is very reasonable for those knives... assuming of course they work as good as they look! 
    I certainly wouldnt kick them out of my kitchen 
    =))
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • tksmoke

@Lit - he does different style handles, and in fact, will build them to your specifications.  

@SJ21XDC - Probably the best way to get him is to do a friend request for Damascus Chef Knives on Facebook.  If you don't use facebook, you can email him at karoljude@gmail.com

Santa Paula, CA
  • tksmoke
    mcmac said:
    The price range you listed is very reasonable for those knives... assuming of course they work as good as they look! 
    I certainly wouldnt kick them out of my kitchen 
    =))
    I use these knives - they are sharp and hold an edge well.  The only down side is that they need to be kept oiled, or they can rust.  I throw on a thin layer of olive oil - some use more exotic oils - after I use and clean them.  While they are unique, because of the reasonable price I'm certainly not afraid to get them dirty.
    Santa Paula, CA