Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Which thermometer should I buy?

Options
I want to buy a thermometer for my LBGE to use for brisket, pork butt, etc. Need advice. I want a dual probe version that will monitor cook grid temp and food temp. Looked at reviews and I am more confused. Help, need experienced Egghead opinions.

Comments

• fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    The Maverick ET-733 is pretty solid for what you want. PM @stlcharcoal for an awesome deal on it.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • radamo
    radamo Posts: 373
    Options
    If looking for a monitor type unit the Maverick 733 (I have the older 732) unit will allow you to monitor the food and the cook surface remotely.  It includes the ability to set temp ranges that are good and set alarms for when those temp limits are exceeded. It is also reasonably priced. 
    Long Island, NY
  • Pghegger
    Pghegger Posts: 58
    Options
    Is there a good one that has dual probes for two food items? I think I'd find that more useful than one for the grid.
  • GASGUY
    GASGUY Posts: 111
    Options
    I don't know, hoping that is the info I get from the forum.
  • busmania
    busmania Posts: 414
    Options
    Pghegger said:
    Is there a good one that has dual probes for two food items? I think I'd find that more useful than one for the grid.
    You could just use the grid probe in the food.  or just buy two food probes and usethem both in the food. 
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Pghegger said:

The probes on the Maverick 733 can each be programmed for either grid or meat.
    NOLA
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    That's one of the upgrades on the 733, the probes are universal and either can be set for food temps.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • GASGUY
    GASGUY Posts: 111
    Options

Well so far it is a one horse race...........thanks for help.

• ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    Options
    I have the 732 and love it. Go for the 733, you won't regret it.
  • Tikaanikaeda81
    Options
    Well I have lurked enough (over a year now), bought my egg in Sept 2013 (wedding gift) so its probably a good time to post  (had to PM @RRP for a Rutland after a clean burn) - I received my ICelsius Wireless dual probe yesterday in the mail. 

I have not had a chance to set it up and get it going, however it looks rather interesting.

For those not familiar, here is the website -

http://www.aginova.com/icelsius-wireless-summary-page.php
    http://www.aginova.com/icelsius_wireless_product.php?p=9

I am in no way affiliated with the company, however when I was looking at the Maverick, I really wanted more of a wifi setup and the ability to track cooks like the stoker can do, without the price.

Found this, and figured that would be a good bridge to keep me occupied until I step up to the stoker/cyber q.

The wireless piece where the probes plug in is very small, and actually does not contain any digital read outs, it just connects to your smart phone, Ipad, or Iphone via an app with home network wifi, or with a direct wifi connect to the actual device itself, and gives your ability to monitor and record from there.

I will give a review possibly later this weekend, thinking of dong something indirect so I can really get a feel for how it works.

Since this is the first post, just wanna say thanks to all of you for the help (XL vs Large), Rutland recommendation, and guidance through cooks - The egg experience is awesome (convinced my father to purchase one about 3 months ago, and he loves it as well) and this board unbelievable.

XLBGE
    Rochester, NY - Now on the West Side
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Pghegger said:
    I can understand wanting to have more food probes if cooking more than one hunk o'meat, or cooking a turkey and wanting a thigh as well as the breast temp monitored, but not at the expense of giving up a grid probe.  I find knowing the grid temp to be as important as knowing the internal meat temp. 
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.