Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wood Table Safety

Options
bettysnephew
bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
edited July 2014 in EggHead Forum
With all the recent talk about preventing table fires, I have decided to use fire bricks under my table nest as I use the Egg on a wooden deck.  I have seen references to bases cracking and catching the tables on fire also.  With the extra elevation of the Egg in the table due to my belt and suspenders approach I am also considering running a band of fire proof gasket material around the inside of the table top inside the cutout as there will be ample room.  Would this be overkill or maybe prevent a future catastrophe if the base should split?  What say you?  I know this is not a highly likely scenario, but bases have cracked and it might prevent a tragedy.
A poor widows son.
See der Rabbits, Iowa

Comments

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Options
    Nothing wrong with over engineering things in my book. More is better in this instant but don't think it's a must.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options

Mine is just on a 2" concrete paver and I'm very comfortable with it.  One thing I did though is make the opening around the Egg closer to 23" than the required 21" to give a little more space between the cedar top and the Egg. 

That said, mine sits on concrete away from my house or anything else combustible, so should something happen, all I risk is the table and possibly the Egg.  If it were on a wooden deck, I would add more safeguards like what you mention. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Fire prevention is like theft prevention.  While there is almost nothing you can do that 100% guarantees no-fire, the more you can do, the better the odds are you won't experience a problem.
    Also, there is the economic factor and diminishing returns.  I would recommend if you like your idea, are confident it will help, and can afford it, go for it.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.