Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Coconut lump?

Options
This may have been asked before, but anyone have any real-world, practical experience with coconut-based lump? Not asking for nakedwhiz etc reviews, am curious about real-world, real cook experience....
When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Several years ago I bought some from Kamado in Atlanta in a close out..  If my memory is correct, It was in round/hexagon shaped pieces with hole in middle about 2" dia and 2 " long.  Hard to light but burnt hot when got going.  Left a white residue on the interior of the BGE.  Went thru 6-8 boxes over time .  Usually added it to regular charcoal after I got used to it.  Never could get anymore. Would buy more if I could find it. P.S. Is the burner in your profile pic one of those cloth dryer tumblers and if so how do you like it?  Saw a few couple of months back at a country jamboree.
  • Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    Options
    Thanks for your input on the coco lump. Yes thats the drum from our washing machine.....its a little bit of work to re-assemble when we want to do laundry but its worth the effort!
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

I had some. Might still have some. Given to me by a fellow egger to try out. From what I remember, the stuff is stupid expensive, but I really liked it. I used what I had mainly for doing a few desserts because I thought it would have a sweet smoke flavor. Can't remember if it did. I would definitely get more if it wasn't so darned $$$

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Griffin
    Options

Had to go look. I used it for a cast iron peanut butter chocolate chip cookie.

Rowlett, Texas

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited July 2014
    Options

Williams Sonoma had it on sale a while ago.  I forget the price, but it worked out to well under $1/lb.  There is a thread here somewhere about it.

edit:  here you go: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1167564/coconut-charcoal-on-sale-at-ws
    NOLA
  • Griffin
    Options
    buzd504 said:

Williams Sonoma had it on sale a while ago.  I forget the price, but it worked out to well under $1/lb.  There is a thread here somewhere about it.

edit:  here you go: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1167564/coconut-charcoal-on-sale-at-ws
    Just checked website. No longer available. :(

Rowlett, Texas

• jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Options
    Bought a box from WS. Glad it was only one.
    Kemah, TX
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I bought a box of it. Don't recall the brand. Packed some at the bottom of the fire pot, and topped off w. the end of a bag of RO.

Cooked a meal, saw that the RO and some of the coconut was gone, decided to let the rest go for a clean burn.

The remnant really got hot, and so I kissed another gasket good bye. A plus for low ash, but the stuff must be really high in carbon content.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Got this years ago at the Texas Fest. They were just starting out and passed a bunch of bags out. Like said I think hard/slow lighting but very hot cooking. Just saw no reason to repeat. I think they are still in business around Austin. They are, I just looked them up:http://www.hotbambu.com. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Got this years ago at the Texas Fest. They were just starting out and passed a bunch of bags out. Like said I think hard/slow lighting but very hot cooking. Just saw no reason to repeat. I think they are still in business around Austin. They are, I just looked them up:http://www.hotbambu.com. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Yo Mickey, that stuff was bamboooooooooooooooooooooo.

From my experience, coconut lump is hit and miss, mostly miss.   It's a mild flavor and when done right, low ash and long burner.  I believe it's all import to USA.  Better thing about it, is the log size, minimal small pieces from transportation breakage.   I might I still have a couple boxes in storage, need to bring them up to the store for show and tell......

My suggestion is pass on it.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Not sure if there is a coconut based lump, what you are talking about is coconut based briquettes, albeit in a different shape given the extrusion process used to make it. 
    Have very limited experience, a friend with a KJ had a box that looked much like that pictured by @Griffin. Hard to light, but once burning lasted a long time. More than typical fly ash. 

The Whiz has some good reviews and his experience is real - not sure what more you might be looking for. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • seanwiley
    seanwiley Posts: 27
    Options
    I regularly use the coconut lump "bars" in the picture above from Griffin. I order them directly by the pallette(sp?) from Malaysia and split it amongst friends to reduce the total cost. It is expensive. I love it for the low & slow cooks. Very stable and minimal ash. I don't tend to use if for high temp cooks. It works fine, but it kind of expensive to just burn it up on steaks.

I'm getting ready to order more in fact