Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cambodian Hot Wings and Rice

Options
CPARKTX
CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
edited July 2014 in EggHead Forum
This recipe was from Food & Wine and I adapted it for outdoor grilling; and this was the best wings I've ever done!

Toss 2-3 diced shallots and freshly sliced ginger with 2 Tbs EVOO; put in skillet on medium high heat until just translucent. Add 4-5 Tbs garlic, diced chilies (I used mix from garden and store), 4 Tbs soy sauce, 2 Tbs fish sauce, 2 teaspoon cumin, 2 ts coriander, 1ts paprika, 1 ts nutmeg, 1 ts turmeric. Continue cooking about two minutes. Add 2 cups coconut milk (unsweetened from can) and allow to heat and mix, about 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and purée in blender.

Cover wings in marinade for an hour.

I cooked raised direct and about 375 dome.

Reserve marinade when you put wings on; when wings close to done, baste again with marinade, making sure you allow them enough time (say 10 minutes with a flip halfway) so the marinade cooks thoroughly since it had raw chicken in it.

Serve with steamed rice, green onions and limes. Squeeze some lime over the wings and rice.

Was excellent!
LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  

Comments

• berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    That sounds deeeeliissshhhh!
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    Great looking cook and the marinade sounds awesome.  Printed for trying soon. Thanks for sharing.
    canuckland
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Bookmarked. We love Cambodian food and have cooked a few things at home. Wish there were more Cambodian restaurants.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • CPARKTX
    Options
    @caliking‌ I've never been to a Cambodian restaurant, I'm not sure if Austin even has one....I'd sure like to.
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Awesome looking pics and a very tasty sounding recipe...Congratulations and thanks for sharing.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • caliking
    Options
    Apparently Houston has knew, but we haven't made our way to it yet. Ate at one in Seattle, which was decent, but not nearly as good as the places in Siem Reap :)

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Absolutely fantastic. This will be on my list for next week. You also could boil the marinade for 10 minutes to kill the chicken cooties. I wonder what it would be like to switch out some of the rice water for marinade. 

I just read the recipe, and I think I will try  it another way. As the wings finish cooking, simmer the sauce for 10 minutes. Take the wings off the Egg and return to the sauce. Mix well. Serve over rice. 

Cheater's alert: This is a basic Thai curry sauce. You can use pre-made red curry sauce and add the soy and fish sauce. I imagine the whole recipe would be better, but the cheater's version would do well in a pinch if you don't have the other ingredients. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Sixpack1
    Sixpack1 Posts: 189
    Options
    Sounds fantastic. I just added to my recipe book, Thanks...
    The Gator Nation, Central Florida
    LARGE & MINI  Life is good...
    GO GATORS!!!

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Wow!! Sounds amazing and I'm always looking for new wing recipes. Gonna print that out and try it soon. If I didn't alreayd have 3 lbs marinating in a piri-piri sauce already for tonight, I'd give it a shot. Maybe next week....

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    That looks awesome and I have added it to my list of to do's!
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • CPARKTX
    Options
    @jlsm I am going the boil route next time too, the second basting was a game time decision and I didn't have time.  It would have been good on the rice for sure.  
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Nice cook - flavors sound great . . bookmark!  

I love the idea of saving some of the complex marinade it for a baste during the cook . . but never knew the food safety side of it.  So if I understand you correctly . . .  a "raw chicken marinade" only needs 10 minutes on the grill at 375 to burn clean and become safe to consume?
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Griffin
    Options
    @NDG if cooked hot enough and long enough, you should be fine. If you are a bit squeamish, you can always just boil the marinade for a bit, then baste it on just to be safer, which I've done in the past.

Rowlett, Texas

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    Nice! Will be trying this out, maybe tonight.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Or just make extra marinade and use the reserved for basting.
    NOLA
  • CPARKTX
    Options
    @NDG Had I planned ahead, I would have boiled it before the second baste.  As far as if it was safe, I am going to guess it was pretty safe...it only went on the surface of the wings, and the wings were already around 170 degrees internal temp and hotter on the surface, and then exposed to at least that temp plus hotter air temp for about 10 minutes.  

Still, a boil is the better approach.
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    @griffin & @cparktx  . . . I appreciate the response - good ideas & it makes sense.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Griffin
    Options
    @buzd504 approach would really be the safest.

Rowlett, Texas

• Canugghead
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Thanks @CPARKTX , I made this for dinner, it was great.

I followed the basic recipe but winged it with some modifications:
    + 2 TB vinegar
    + 1 TB sugar
    + 1 TB tabasco
    + didn't want to open new can of coconut milk, so I used 1 cup leftover coconut milk from weekend's shrimp curry cook, plus 1/2 cup sour cream

Marinated about four pounds of wings for few hours. Cooked raised indirect in XL, about 315F for almost two hours, rendered substantial amount of fat, cranked up to 350F last 10 minutes, came out crispy like fried!  Forgot about the leftover boiled marinade until near the end.

canuckland
  • caliking
    Options
    @Canugghead‌ - I just licked my screen.

• Canugghead
    Options
    oh no, you licked the drip pan?  :D
    canuckland
  • caliking
    Options
    The 2 pics after!

But I do love me some chicken grease occasionally.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Nice. All over this one. thanks Cpark

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    Options
    YUM!  I tore this recipe out of the F&W magazine just last week . . . now I'm definitely making it!  Thanks, looks delicious! 
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    jlsm said:
    You also could boil the marinade for 10 minutes to kill the chicken cooties.
    That was going to be my suggestion.  I always boil my marinades, regardless of the meat type, after I pull the meat out.  That way, it is safe to use as mop or glaze, or a dipping sauce.  You can also freeze it and use it again as a marinade in the future.  When I used to marinade my beef jerky, I would always boil it, then filter it through a sieve to remove the clumped up meat juices, and then freeze it until my next batch of beef jerky.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.