Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

No Egging at the beach

Options
Tjcoley
Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
The rental at the beach comes with a grill, which I assumed to be gas, as with every other rental I've done. Nope, an old Weber kettle. When I saw it, I thought I can make that work even better. Picked up some lump, and thought I was ready to cook a few FlatIron steaks tonight. Got them all seasoned up, on the counter to room temp. Went out to light the grill, and found the filthiest cooking grid I ever saw. Doesn't look like it's been scraped n years, and moldy. No way I was putting food on it. My son happened to have taken a quick run out to pick up a few things so I called him and said to pick up anything I can burn lump in. Ended up cooking on a tabletop Charbroil mini grill. Steaks still turned out pretty good.

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Tomorrow get a super hot fire in that weber and toss the grid in for a clean burn. You'll be cooking on it by lunch time.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Tjcoley
    Options
    @DMW. I thought about doing that tonight but didn't have time. I may still try it, or I may take on the challenge of cooking on a 'mini'.
    Options
    Do the clean burn. 2 cookers is better than one. :D
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Why didnt you just have him
    Pick up a new grid instead of a whole new grill?

Little Rock, AR

• Tjcoley
    Options
    Not a lot of choice nearby for grill parts. He got the last of the $5 grill close out at Target.
    Options
    $5 for another cooker to add to the arsenal? Sounds like a deal. You can never have too many.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    My beach rental 2 weeks ago was listed with two grills.  One was the permanently mounted "state park" style charcoal grill.  The other was a Weber copy with no cooking grate!  To top that off, my helpful SIL brought a bag of match light!  I considered buying some lump and doing steaks "caveman style", but the extended family really don't give a s#!+ about good food, so not worth the trouble.

I have never had a fully functional grill in a beach rental.  No room in my vehicles for a grill, so I just don't get to grill on vacation.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    Go Boy Scout on the beach. Oh. That really doesn't sound right. 

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• Tjcoley
    Options
    Fortunately we somewhat prepared for trouble grilling. Brought 10 pounds each of frozen, Egged Brisket and Pulled Pork.
    Still want to do burgers, dogs and some steaks. Decided on Flatiron for the steaks and they came out ok tonight on the little Charbroil. May throw some chicken breasts on tomorrow. We'll make it work.
    Options
    I usually go to Wally World and pick up a cheap grill and leave it.No hassle of packing it for the trip either way. There's not room most of the time anyway.
    Large BGE, Holland Gas Grill, Masterbuilt electric smoker, Oklahoma Joe, Flame Boss
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Come on Man. That's the reason God made Minis. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Flat iron steaks are excellent. Did one last night for fah-heet-tahs.
  • Sixpack1
    Sixpack1 Posts: 189
    Options
    My next investment will be a mini...
    The Gator Nation, Central Florida
    LARGE & MINI  Life is good...
    GO GATORS!!!

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Bummer to hear about the grill. I wouldn't expect much from a grill at a rental property. Too many idiots around, messing stuff up. But a $5 replacement grill? Hell, I don't need any more grills, but for $5, I'd jump on it. That's a steal. What am I saying? Everybody needs more grills!!

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I'm tempted to stop at Target on the way home....

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    TJ, while in VB, if you enjoy adult beverages, get some brews by 'O'Conner' made in Norfolk. The Dismal Swamp is a favorite. Not sure if Food Lion has it but many local stores do. Bloody Mary mixes, Sassy, Clammy, and Crabby Mary are local and the best IMHO.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• Tjcoley
    Options
    Thanks @berndcrisp. May have to try it n
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I'm guessing the $5 grill is a throwaway.  Thin aluminum tray, and small wire grill with briquets already in it.  Use it once and throw it away.  I took one backpacking one time, dumped the charcoal in the campfire after cooking was done and packed out the metal which didn't weigh very much at all, but I had some delicious BBQ chicken thighs on that trip for dinner.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    On vacation at Kiawah Island. Renting a villa and there is a no grill policy for all villas period. Will fire the egg up on Monday night when we get home.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    tulocay said:
    On vacation at Kiawah Island. Renting a villa and there is a no grill policy for all villas period. Will fire the egg up on Monday night when we get home.
    WTF?  No grilling on vacation?!?  That's crazy.  I can see no grilling on decks...but not at all?  Somebody's panties are too tight.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    @tulocay, where at on Kiawah? That's one of my favorite places to go. 
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    I bought a 10 grill, a bag of Royal Oak and cooked away!

The Naked Whiz
  • jerryb78
    jerryb78 Posts: 215
    Options
    @the naked whiz
    Is it just me or is that grill sitting on top of a bed of nice dry pine needles?
    LBGE
    Menasha, WI
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options

jerryb78 said:
    @the naked whiz
    Is it just me or is that grill sitting on top of a bed of nice dry pine needles?
    Why do you see a problem ??? =))
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    Options
    I see nothing to worry about.
    Signed,
    The Crispy Whiz
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Cowdogs said:
    Signed,
    The Crispy Whiz
    "Hey, honey? Be a dear and check on that wooshing noise. I'm busy on the forum."
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    Cowdogs said:
    Signed,
    The Crispy Whiz
    "Hey, honey? Be a dear and check on that wooshing noise. I'm busy on the forum."
    Oh man... I don't care what you say but that is a funny chirp..Tears running down my face.. :))
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    Without being disrespectful...Should the above pic of the grill on the dry pine needles not be on the post "What are you drinking now" or at the least the "Show us your cooking spot"..Once again no disrespect to The Naked Whiz..
    :-?
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    @Eggcelsior‌ ...we are staying at Windswept this year. Nice little view of the ocean.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Searat
    Searat Posts: 80
    Options
    Sounds like it's time to pack the Dutch Oven as a backup in the future. Maybe a grill and some bricks to raise the grill to. We love our BGE but we have a few more tricks up our sleeves and this forum is always adding to our knowledge.

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences and knowledge