Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best PULLED PORK I've had.... and FIRST TIME egging it!

Options
Was planning on smoking a small pork butt Sunday morning, but thanks to a search on this forum I realized it was likely I’d miss dinner on a low and slow.  So, my 6 lbs shoulder went on at 1:30AM for an overnight.   Had the remote thermometer next to me to keep tabs on things from bed.   My goal was 250 and it did a very slow climb over the night from 230 up to 280.  I closed the grates a hair more at 7:AM and then it settled around 250 for the rest of the cook.

Before cooking I rubbed the meat with brown sugar and olive oil, then a layer of yellow mustard and finally dry rubbed it with Dizzy Dust and Bad Byrons (didn’t have enough Dizzy to go around).  I used RO lump and put in several Jack Daniels whiskey barrel wood chunks.

I did not even crack that grill until the meat hit 200 degrees.  I love that about the Egg!  If you keep the temps right, you just let it do it’s thing and enjoy the transformation reveal at the end of the cook.  The meat hit temp after 11 hours.  It looked like a proper meteorite!   

I stuck a meat thermometer in several places (it went in and out soooo easily, so I knew it was DONE) and it read between 200 and 206 everywhere.   Awesome!   I wrapped it in foil with a little apple juice and cider vinegar which I shook in the empty Dizzy Dust container for good measure.  FTC for an hour (the family was hungry…I promised them pulled pork for lunch).

I have smoked butts before (used to do it indirect on a gas, low and slow with smoker box, texas crutch after 4 hours) and this was HANDS DOWN THE BEST PULLED PORK I’VE EVER MADE and AS GOOD as any pulled pork I have ever tried!!!!  It was incredible.  I am a bit of a pulled pork snob.  I like it Carolina style with a little coleslaw on top.  The meat should have smokey flavor and be tender and moist.  I laid this up on a soft white bun and the meat was sooooo tender you bit right into the bun and cleanly through all the meat.  It was awesome!  

As you experienced eggers know, pulling this was a non event.  It just fell apart in moist juicy lumps as soon as I hit it with a fork….iiiiiiit waaaaaaas  aaaaawwwweeeesooooooome!   I put it in a bowl, tossed it with a little fresh made NC vinegar BBQ sauce and it was ready to go.

So what is the best way to reheat pork after you pull it and recreate the fresh pulled experience?  It was great fresh.  I reheated some gently this week…it was still very good but not that orgasmic juicy tenderness of when I just pulled it.  I'd like to make a few butts ahead of time for a party.

As always, this forum is a great resource and made my first pork shoulder simple and fun!
LBGE/Maryland

Comments

• HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    That looks like a brilliant cook.
    Avoid dry heat for reheating and don't nuke it. Put some in a plastic bag and put in very hot water till heated thru.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Everything went right. I spent months fussing over exact temps, but finally realized that a slow rise like you had, followed by a tweak would set the temperature well enough, and that i should stop fussing.

Part of the fresh pulled experience is the aroma. Don't know if that can be retained. If the meat gets warm enough to let warm water vapor carry the smell, it will also become drier.

I've been messing with making "pork jelly" by pressure cooking neck bones in a small amount of water. Adding that into the pulled mass helps a little, but still not quite right.
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Now that's what I'am talking about...Flippen Awesome..Congratulations all round..That sandwich would stand no chance with me..Good one.. :-c
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    gdenby said:
    I've been messing with making "pork jelly" by pressure cooking neck bones in a small amount of water. Adding that into the pulled mass helps a little, but still not quite right.
    There was a nice juice in the foil after I let it FTC.  I suppose I could retain that when I'm reheating in bulk. 
    Thanks!
    LBGE/Maryland
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Options
    Beautiful. Now I'm starving. Long time until lunch.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Great looking butt.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    =D> =D> =D>
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    Options
    Sometimes 10 hours of anticipation creates a taste that is hard to replicate with a microwave.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I need one of those sammiches.

BTW, I drink the juice left in the foil. It's concentrated pork but porkiness.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    That looks GREAT!!!  Nice cook!
    Santa Paula, CA
  • otter
    otter Posts: 342
    Options
    Nice Job (:
    Pure Michigan
    Grand Rapids, Michigan  LBGE, SBGE
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    that looks  soo good im going to be doing a pork but  today hope mine turns half as good as yours 

Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    My stomach is growling looking at those pictures! Nice job!
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• KiterTodd
    Options
    Thanks for the enthusiasm and support!

Don't think I don't notice my wife rolling her eyes as I'm taking pictures of my food....  
    :))
    LBGE/Maryland
  • itsmce
    itsmce Posts: 410
    Options
    Nice...
    Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS
  • cajuncook
    cajuncook Posts: 99
    Options
    And that is the reason I no longer go to BBQ restaurants. I've never found one that comes close to what I can make on my eggs.
    Live on beautiful Lake Hartwell GA
  • thailandjohn
    thailandjohn Posts: 952
    Options
    A good pork butt is the best......looks great
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    Thanks for the enthusiasm and support!

Don't think I don't notice my wife rolling her eyes as I'm taking pictures of my food....  
    :))
    My wife always rolls her eyes at me when I take pictures of my cooks!
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options

Don't be getting a big head now your next cook may only be 99% as good!

That looks yummy....

Chuck King

Dimondale, Michigan

www.chuckkingcomedy.com

Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options

Don't be getting a big head now your next cook may only be 99% as good!

That looks yummy....

Chuck King

Dimondale, Michigan

www.chuckkingcomedy.com

But it may also be 100% better!!!
    Santa Paula, CA
  • ericp
    ericp Posts: 152
    Options
    WOW!!!! That color on the bark is amazing. looks awesome
  • anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Excellent cook!!!
  • ivada
    ivada Posts: 25
    Options
    That looks awesome indeed!!!  My first butt on the Egg was as satisfying as yours seemed to be.  Love the Egg!  Can almost taste that sammy...
  • boochsr71
    boochsr71 Posts: 267
    Options
    looks awesome!

Booch- from Medina, Ohio

• Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    That right there Sir, was an excellent write-up. Pictures are awesome - especially the 'reveal'. Keep up the good work.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • drewmack
    drewmack Posts: 53
    Options
    Did you go fat cap up?
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    drewmack said:
    Did you go fat cap up?
    Yes, fat cap up.  The white part you see is where the bark cracked as the fat reduced (I guess).
    What do you do?

I've seen both sides discussed.  I seem to always put the fat cap on top to let it baste the meat as it melts.  Seem to work fine and I'll continue to do that. 
    The only negative I can see is that if you really like bark, you typically lose the bark on the fat cap (unless you eat all the fat) and the bark on the bottom doesn't build up as thick since you are sitting on the grill grates.  I seemed to have plenty left for my taste, though.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    edited July 2014
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    drewmack said:
    Did you go fat cap up?
    Yes, fat cap up.  The white part you see is where the bark cracked as the fat reduced (I guess).
    What do you do?

I've seen both sides discussed.  I seem to always put the fat cap on top to let it baste the meat as it melts.  Seem to work fine and I'll continue to do that. 
    The only negative I can see is that if you really like bark, you typically lose the bark on the fat cap (unless you eat all the fat) and the bark on the bottom doesn't build up as thick since you are sitting on the grill grates.  I seemed to have plenty left for my taste, though.
    Don't f#%k with perfection.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    :-c Nice Job. The egg does a perfect job of low and slow pork. 
    Large, small, and a mini