Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any news on minimax availability?

Options
13»

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Lit said:
    You can get the KJ junior for $404 shipped to your house free at thegardengates.con. Its $450 but they always have a 10% off code. I got mine with all the stuff mentioned above for $350 shipped to my door from them.

Good to know. My outdoor kitchen area is on hold because I want to incorporate a second egg. I can't wait till winter or next year to start it.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Just get a mini for now and a mini max when they come out. You will find a use for the mini as well as I use mine all the time. Again you can never have too many eggs. :D
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Just get a mini for now and a mini max when they come out. You will find a use for the mini as well as I use mine all the time. Again you can never have too many eggs. :D

I constantly think this is the solution since the mini would be a great table topper. However my table is going to be 10 feet long an I want it integrate another hole for the second egg. If I had rough dimensions I'd press forward and roll the dice
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    grege345 said:

I constantly think this is the solution since the mini would be a great table topper. However my table is going to be 10 feet long an I want it integrate another hole for the second egg. If I had rough dimensions I'd press forward and roll the dice

If you are doing a built-in then I would just get a small as the mini max is supposed to be the same size as the small as far as grate size but as tall as a mini. Or get a med for another built in.

I have every size and I use my med eggs the most when doing family meals along with the mini
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • ChrisSonn23
    ChrisSonn23 Posts: 280
    Options

Got an update on the much anticipated MiniMax. We are a dealer and our distributor is telling us they will be getting them October 2014. So my guess is they should be available mid/late October.

BGE Dealer and EggHead since 2013. Find our company on Facebook
    Large BGE
    Waterloo, IL
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    How do the cooks in the smaller eggs compare to a large (which is what I have and the only egg I've ever cooked on)?

Is it the exact same experience but just smaller cooking space? 

It seems like you'd be so much closer to the heat source which could cause problems and the dome area is smaller so there is less air moving around.  
    I don't know if any of that is bad...maybe there are certain things that cook better in a small concentrated space.

Anyway, just wondering if there is any reason to go to a small/mini/minimax other than size AND if doing so compromises the cook?

Thanks! 
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    The original small cooked much like the large. The mini max I am guessing will act more like the mini which is really close to the lump. The mini plate setter only has like 1" legs which the raiant heat from the plate setter can still burn things when cooking indirect. I have made aluminum foil disks to sit on the plate setter to help control this issue.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    They told me early 2016.
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    edited July 2014
    Options
    BYS1981 said:
    They told me early 2016.
    You're just try to upset people. ;) 

Here is a fun grill that can distract you until the Mini Max ships.

and stick this on top for a great griddled burger 

That grill goes as low as $60 at times on Amazon, and that griddle goes as low as $25.  

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    wonder how many joe jr's are being sold with all the delays, this isnt the best marketing strategy ive ever seen
    :))
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I sure hope this thing does not flop.
    As a mini owner it does not matter to me because i am good, but there seems to be a frenzy
    Seattle, WA
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options
    Well good thing for KJ keeping BGE on their toes

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    You mean heels? Confusing to me how it takes a year to get a new size into production when everything else is already set up. If it was a couple month wait I may have waited for the mini max but after the wait for the xxl I knew it was going to be awhile.
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    Options
    @Lit‌ . Thanks bro for the info. Bruce called about a week later (super nice guy) and my dad and I went to the mothership sat. Morning and they gave me my new base. My dad couldn't believe their awesome cust. Service. I am still trying to convert him from his old cheap barrel charcoal grill.
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    Options
     @ SmokeyBear 

I think after all my comparative research (months worth, and selling precious stuff to be able to afford my XLBGE) I decided the BGE is the best.  That was why I wanted it.  That was good enough for me. :D
    its the same warranty from either dealer....i have had the pleasure of dealing with issues after buying a kj jr and after a bit it was pretty amazing experience.....so much so that i ended up ordering a big joe and now have 2 big joes and a joe jr plus a large bge....as far as the difference in ceramic, one is thicker but other is more dense so it really evens out. I assure you that you are not the first to look into to that and any dip **** dealer can feed you a line of crap as can a distributor or customer service rep....they are pretty much identical in cook, quality and holding temps. As for innovation and accessories, ill say KJ hands down. 
    Beaufort, SC
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited July 2014
    Options

I was told at Saturday's demo they WERE expected for July but, now projected for October (Maybe). Idea is to have them to dealers for tailgating season.

Will be comparatively priced to a Small would be my guess. As all the small components will be used except for the fire grate which the same as the large.

Kosko said:

I stopped by the mothership sat. To get my new base and they said 2-3 months for the mini-max.

deja freakin vu! :))

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    Lit, the garden gates coupon is no longer valid for kj's. Some other dealers complained, and kj told garden gates to play fair. On an unrelated note, kj is doing road shows at Costco, with significant discounts lol.