Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Zero to Pulled Pork in 13 seconds!

Options
I received this Pork Puller Tool as a gift a couple weeks ago and just got around to using it. WOW! This thing is FAST!! It is definitely overkill for a single shoulder, but would be a great tool if you had a bunch to pull. I wish I had it a month ago when I had to pull 8!!image

Comments

• mshump
    mshump Posts: 212
    Options
    That looks like a very useful tool. I personally could not own one because I would end up slinging hot pulled pork all over the kitchen walls !!
    Danville, Il
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I remember when someone posted this about a year ago. They used a food safe 5 gallon bucket. Looked disgusting, but worked like a charm.
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    Options
    I remember when someone posted this about a year ago. They used a food safe 5 gallon bucket. Looked disgusting, but worked like a charm.
    I thought the same thing. However, it looks normal and did not alter the taste. I just gently pulsated. The entire shoulder was pulled in 4-5 pulls on the trigger. image
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Maybe you should do a giveaway for Facebook likes. =))
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    The pork looked fine. It was the 5 gallon bucket that looked disgusting when he was done.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Eggcelsior
    Options

I thought the same thing. However, it looks normal and did not alter the taste. I just gently pulsated. The entire shoulder was pulled in 4-5 pulls on the trigger. image

I just meant the process in the bucket. Not the finished product. I'll try to find a pic.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    That's the one.

It might just be me, but it reminds me of the Valley Protein buckets we used to put waste in when I worked at Costco. Looks exactly the same.
  • DMW
    Options
    @Eggcelsior Ahh, Valley Protein. I hate driving behind one of their trucks that is dripping out the back...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • jerryb78
    jerryb78 Posts: 215
    Options
    Anyone have a video of this thing in action?
    LBGE
    Menasha, WI
  • DMW
    Options
    @jerryb78 Videos on manufacturer website:

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    Looks like pink slime or 'mechanically separated' pork.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I guess $70 isn't bad for solid SS construction. It would be ideal for somebody who did LG amounts of PP on a regular basis.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    Options

Well, in a sense it is mechanically separated pork! =))
  • ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    Options
    I don't think its just me...I lose my appetite whenever I see food in a five gallon pale. :-t
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    Well, in a sense it is mechanically separated pork! =))
    My point precisely. Like the ingredients on some (beef) jerky stick my son bought - 1st up - "Mechanically separated CHICKEN"!!! 

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I dislike pulling pork because I usually get scalded or burned and I hate wearing those thick gloves so I'm considering this.  It's just a tool.  It seems to me that if you pulverize the pork butt into pink slime, you might have gone too far. 
    Flint, Michigan
  • Thatgrimguy
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Just grab these. Cheap and effective. http://www.amazon.com/Bear-Paw-Meat-Handler-Forks/dp/B003IWI66W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405379946&sr=8-1&keywords=bear+claw+meat+shredder

No more burned/scalded hands. And you don't run the risk of over pulling (if that's something you were worried about.)  Obviously won't make short work of the amount of pork that the OP can with the drill attachment.  But great for tearing up a butt at a time.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Egghead_Daron
    Egghead_Daron Posts: 862
    edited July 2014
    Options
    +1 on bear paws. I love them. I can pull a butt in less than 60 seconds with them. Maybe not quite as fast but no 5 gallon bucket required.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    +1 at what @Thatgrimguy‌ said except I have these and they work equally well to pull pork, brisky or any large cut off the egg as well as making PP. image
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • DMW
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I have the exact same ones that @NPHuskerFL linked to. They work great. The pork puller was really nice though when I pulled 12 total (6 at a time) and also for whole hog. I usually don't break it out for 3 or less butts.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• jerryb78
    jerryb78 Posts: 215
    Options
    DMW said:
    @jerryb78 Videos on manufacturer website:

That's incredible!  I wish that I had a good reason to make 3 or 4 butts to justify buying one.
    LBGE
    Menasha, WI
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    I used the tool in a deep pot. The 5 gallon bucket is definitely gross. 
  • DMW
    Options
    The 5 gallon bucket is a food grade bucket reserved for that purpose only. It is washed with hot soapy water each time after it is used and before it is used. Really interested in knowing what is gross about that.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    DMW said:
    The 5 gallon bucket is a food grade bucket reserved for that purpose only. It is washed with hot soapy water each time after it is used and before it is used. Really interested in knowing what is gross about that.

Food grade or cement grade. It looks like you are mixing mortar.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    DMW said:

Maybe gross is the wrong word.   How about unphotogyenic. 
  • DMW
    Options
    Yep, the meat on white doesn't pose all that well.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    Options
    I seem to spend a lot of time when I pull getting rid of the fat and the undesirable parts. My family doesn't like it. Do others do the same or is it just me? Would be hard to do with the drill tool.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    DMW said:

Working in and around commercial restaurants this is not unusual. Food safe sanitized 5 gal buckets are used all the time for mixing and many times storage in the walk-in cooler or reach-in cooler. It's not like ya sit the bucket out on the serving line =))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • DMW
    Options
    I seem to spend a lot of time when I pull getting rid of the fat and the undesirable parts. My family doesn't like it. Do others do the same or is it just me? Would be hard to do with the drill tool.
    After giving it a spin with the pork puller, the undesirable parts can be picked out, as they separate from the meat. Dump a bit into a pan, pick through it with tongs, dump and pick again, etc.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA