Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rhode Island bake stuffed clams

Options
I've been clamming for the last month and been getting a lot of quahogs which is a large clam. So I decided to make stuffed clams. The first batch I made a few weeks ago I did some uncovered in the oven, they were dry so then I wrapped them in foil in oven they were better but not crisp in outside. This weekend I dug a bag full so I tried them in my small egg at 425 for 20 min uncovered. They were bubbling juicy and a slight crust on outside. Definetly the best way to cook clams

Comments

• CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    Yum!
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Makes me want to head on over to Rhode Island. Nice job.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Looks DELicious.  Here is a method I like for parties and quick snacks/appeteasers.  Used to get them out of the Indian River across the street, but the river has become tooo polluted for current gathering.  Now just buy the frozen chopped pieces and use ramakins or what ever is around.  

Clams, Stuffed, Ricardo

INGREDIENTS:
    24 Large Clams, Cooked, Chopped (2 cups Apprx), SAVE shells to stuff
    1 Large Box Stove Top Stuffing, Chicken Flavored
    5 Cups Chicken Broth
    1 Cup Parmesan Cheese
    1 Stick Butter
    1/2 Lb. Bacon, Chopped, Sauteed
    1 Can Water Chestnuts, Chopped
    2 Tbs. Olive Oil
    2 Tbs. Garlic, Chopped
    1 Large Onion, Chopped
    1 Head Celery, Tops Chopped, SAVE stalks for another project
    1 Tbs. Sage
    1 Tbs. Thyme
    1 Tbs. Red Chili, Crushed
    1/2 Each Peppers, Red, Green, Yellow, Chopped Small. (optional)

Procedure:

1. Saute butter, bacon, olive oil, peppers, celery tops, garlic.

2. Add sauted items to 5 cups of chicken broth with seasoning. Bring to a boil, Turn off heat and let cool 5 minutes. Add Clams and Stove Top Stuffing to liquid.

3. Let cool 15-20 minutes and place in a piping bag with a 1"; opening, no tips. Pipe into shells. Sprinkle cheese on top.

4. Ready to eat or freeze..To reheat frozen. BGE 350-375 15-20 minutes, MICROWAVE 5 minutes medium high. OVEN- 375°F 20-30 minutes.

Yield: 24-30

Recipe Type: Appetizer

Source
    Author: Richard Howe
    Source: Richard Howe, 1986/05/25

Sauce, Pasta, Clams, Meat, Richard Fl.

INGREDIENTS:
    7 Bell Peppers, mostly Red
    25 Lbs Tomatoes, Slightly Bruised, Skinned, Chopped
    1 Head Celery, Sliced thinly
    5 Tbs Garlic, Granulated
    5 Large White Onions, Chopped Small
    6 14 Ozs? Cans Crushed Tomatos
    3 Medium Cans Tomato Sauce
    4 Small Cans Tomato Paste
    3 Lbs Ground Beef
    3 Lbs Pork Sausage, Hot
    2 Lbs Chopped Clams
    3/4 Cup Italian Seasons
    6 Ice Cube Pieces Fresh, Frozen Basil Leaves
    2 Tbs Crushed Red pepper
    4 Tbs Indian River Rainbow Pepper

PROCEDURE:

1. Roasted 7 bell peppers on small green egg until little burnt.

2. Then took 25 lbs slightly bruised tomatoes and toasted them on egg also a few batches were needed to finish the job.

3. I a large pot took 5 onions diced, head celery sliced thin and added the diced roasted bell peppers. 6-7 heads garlic chopped and some peanut oil. Cooked for 30 minutes until all was sweated.

4. Then took the roasted tomatoes and having skinned them, mashed coursley and into the pot. Let simmer for an hour. Added several cans of diced processed tomatoes, some sauce and paste and got simmering again. Added seasonings. Took a stick blender and made a thick sauce.

5. In a separate pan I cooked the beef and sausage, drained and then tossed into sauce.

6. Next removed from large pot about 1/3 volume and placed in smaller pot to which I added 2 lbs chopped clams.

Yield: 6-3 cup containers clams, 9-3 cup just meat

Recipe Type: Pasta/Rice, Sauce

Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2012/10/24

• ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    Options
    Stuffies!!!!! Nice work, they look excellent. Hope you had some clam cakes, clear chowder, and a 'Gannsett Del's shandy to wash em down with!
  • jscarfo
    jscarfo Posts: 405
    Options
    Yes we call them stfuffies but a lot of people wouldn't know what I was talkin about. I use 1 an a half boxes of ritz crackers 4 fresh jalapeños, 1 bulb garlic ,1 onion and 4 slices of bacon all chopped fine and sautéed with a little oil. I add pepper and stick of butter melted, and mix everything with crushed ritz crackers. I steamed open about 35 clams in a 2" of water, I then took liquid from steamed clams and added it to mix till it was moist then chopped up all the clams and added them to mix. Then fill as many clam shells as I could , when I put them on egg I put slice of fresh lemon on top. They were unfreakinbelievable
  • ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    Options
    My folks have a place down on the south shore in Charlestown. I've got a feeling Ill be making these for the family when I go down to visit next weekend. Now I've just gotta convince my dad to get an egg.... I feel dirty every time I cook on his gasser.
  • allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    Options
    Wicked pissah!
    Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• jscarfo
    jscarfo Posts: 405
    Options
    Good clamming in chaleston
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    That looks awesome.   I love stuffed clams.  When I gather the big ones I'm never sure what to do with them as they can be so tough...this is a great idea.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    Spear the clams. ;)

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields