Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Intro and ribs advice

Options
I received my first LBGE about a month ago and am obsessed. Long time griller but Egg newbie. I've already learned many great tips on here - thanks! I'm going to cook my first set of baby back pork ribs this weekend and would love to hear advice on how to get the best fall of the bone tasty ribs.
Dallas, TX

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Frist, welcome to the lifestyle!

I prefer the KISS approach to baby backs...

1. Pull membrane from back of ribs and apply rub (can be done just before putting them on the egg if you like).
    2. Put on egg indirect at around 250* dome temp using whatever smoke wood you like. I often use a fruit wood or, sometimes pecan.
    3. Don't do anything for the next 4 hours except have a few (or more) cold ones.
    4. Start checking for doneness using the bend test. Pull from egg when they pass
    5. Eat!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    If you really want 'fall of the bone' you can do the 2-2-1 method with baby backs.  You will cook two hours indirect on grid.  Wrap then in foil for 2 hours. Then back to grid for last hour.  Sauce during that last hour.  More likely to get that 'fall of the bone'. 

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    What @TexanOfTheNorth said. 
    If you really want them fall off the bone, you might want to wrap them in foil for about an hour midway through, then unwrap again to finish.

FWIW I really like this for rib rub.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • ThisChickGrills
    Options
    Great tips. Was planning to use whiskey barrel smoking chips. Any experience with this flavor combo and ribs?
    Dallas, TX
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    I probably should have added that my method does not produce "fall off the bone" ribs but will give you a rib where the meat pulls cleanly off the bone with little or no effort. That's just my personal preference.

As the others said, wrap them at some point if you insist on having them fall off the bone. No one (at least me) will hold that against you!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Search "Car Wash Mike Ribs" and follow that method. Works like a charm. 
    Large BGE, Chicago, IL
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    Options
    Great tips. Was planning to use whiskey barrel smoking chips. Any experience with this flavor combo and ribs?
    They are good.  Mix a couple of handfuls evenly into your pile of lump.  I then add some more lump on the top without any chips, and this is what I light and let the egg come up to temp with.  No point burning chips warming up the egg. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options

Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  You obviously have this figured out "my first LBGE" :)

And as has been mentioned, to get the "fall off the bone" result you will need to foil during the cook.

Enjoy the eats!

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    My typical rib method is 275 degrees egg temperature, cook indirect (with platesetter) for 3 hours, wrap in foil with liquid and cook for about 90 minutes, then back on the egg until they pass the bend test and sauce if you wish.  The last stage usually only takes 20-30 minutes. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Welcome
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Welcome aboard! Have fun and make sure and take pics! (or it didn't happen)
  • rabbitdog
    rabbitdog Posts: 1
    Options

I cook perfect ribs, without pulling the membrane or using foil.  Let you ribs sit at room temperature at least one hour before you put on the grill.  I use St. Louis style ribs, rub down with olive oil and season with your rub.  When your temperature is set at about 240 degrees, place on the grill membrane down.  After 4 hours I  lift the lid just to put on my sauce and close back.  After another 30 minutes I grab a bone and if they are done, it will start to slide out.  Total cook time 4 1/2-5 hours.   Yum Yum!!!

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Welcome and enjoy!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Welcome and Congrats on the Eggdiction. I have done what corey24 and DMW do, but is a little more what I do in Turbo method. I cook my rib at around 275 to 300 dome temp for about 2 hours to get some smoke flavor. I like using fruit woods for ribs. I then wrap in foil with brown sugar, butter and a little apple juice for 1.5 to 2 more hours at same temp. I don't usually unwrap and put them back on at the end, they are fall of the bone by then. I think the whiskey barrel chips will be fine, you just may not get a very pronounced smoke ring. Cherry is another that gives good flavor and a good smoke ring. Its all about having fun, eating and learning from what you did. To me ribs are one of the easiest things to cook on the Egg other then a steak or burger.  To the rub makes a big difference in flavor.  I will do one slab savory and one slab sweet.  I look forward to seeing your pics when your done.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @Ladeback69 I don't usually foil, I like mine bite off the rib. But if you want fall off, the foil will do it.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    @DMW, that's what I have found to and I do it because the boss (wife) likes it that way. Next time I am going to do one of both just to test it and make her happy at the same time. The first ones I did were with out foil and they were bite off and that's the way I prefer too. I'm kind of ribbed out for a while, but am in the mode for another brisket soon.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options

Welcome to the forum, hope to see lot of cook pics in the future!

If you cook the ribs long enough, they'll fall off the bone.  If they're tough, you haven't cooked them long enough.  I'm not big on foil as I don't like the texture as much but all a matter of opinion/taste.
    I find the "bent test" the easiest way to judge doneness.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options

Welcome to the forum, hope to see lot of cook pics in the future!

If you cook the ribs long enough, they'll fall off the bone.  If they're tough, you haven't cooked them long enough.  I'm not big on foil as I don't like the texture as much but all a matter of opinion/taste.
    I find the "bent test" the easiest way to judge doneness.
    Agree. 

Keep it simple like TOTN's first post said.  No need to mess with foil.  If you want them to fall off the bone, either cook at a higher temp such as 275* or cook them another 30 - 60 minutes.

One last tip.  Don't worry about the temp being spot on.  Whether the grill is at 240* or 275* the ribs will cook just fine.  Just allow your the time to adjust based upon where the egg settles at. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Options

Welcome,

I normally cook Baby Backs for 6 hours straight at 250 dome temp, like others have said pull the membrane, coat with a rub and then sauce the last hour or so. Whiskey chips will work just fine but try and find some chunks as you get more steady clean smoke. I normally use a ratio of cherry or peach with pecan. Dont forget to post pictures of the final product

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    +1 for Car Wash Mike's technique. Search it in the forum....

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    I forgot I had Car Wash Mike's technique saved on my phone..... Here ya go!

BABY BACK RIB CLASS

by

Car Wash Mike

I don’t claim to be a rib eggspert but I will give you some basics today to get you started in the right direction. First, I cook baby backs exclusively. A 3 pack at Sam’s club works well.

THE PREP!

After opening up the package. Pat the ribs down with paper towels. Take the membrane off the bone side. To do this take a paper towel on the small end and pull towards the large end. Today I used Dizzy Pig Original for the rub. Leave the ribs meat side down. Now, I actually rub, the rub in, on the bone in side. Flip over, lightly coat with mustard. The mustard will not give any flavor. It gives you three different values in my opinion, others will argue. The vinegar in the mustard will start breaking down the collagen in the ribs. It will give a better bark. It will also help the last coating of the rub to stick to the ribs. After applying the mustard. Coat with Dizzy Pig Original Rub. After prepping put back in the fridge for at least 1 hour, but no more than 2. If you haven’t lit your egg, now is the time.

THE COOK!

Okay, the process just got a little complicated. I have cooked over a 100 slabs of baby backs, EVERY YEAR for over 15 years. I tell you this, so you don’t get discouraged if your first few attempts are not desired. Practice makes perfect. Put your wood of choice on the clean burning fire of the egg. Add 3-4 wood chunks. Try to stick with fruit woods. I used apple and cherry wood. They are going to start smoking right away. Put your plate setter on the fire ring, legs up. A large drip pan on the plate setter. You need to let the wood smoke for at least 30 minutes before putting the ribs on. I always use an inverted V-Rack. I think the heat off the plate setter and drip pan, cause a tough skin on the bone in side. Get your egg stabilized at 200-225. The first few hours are the most important. Your ribs need to be cold when placing on the Egg. They tend to soak up the smoke better and have a better smoke ring. I like to mist the ribs. I like to use a 50/50 mixture of apple juice/apple cider vinegar after the first hour. I do this every hour until done. After 3 hours bump that temp up to 250. Opening up the egg for misting may accomplish this.

Okay, we have had our ribs on for 3 hours and we've bumped the temp up to 250. Cook for 1 hour and then mist one more time. Let go another 30 minutes. The ribs have been on 4-1/2 hours. Pick a slab up. If it folds in half easily, it is time to finish. If not, put back on for another 30 minutes. Also, another way to check is that the meat should have pulled back approximately 1-1/2 inches. Another way is to, go ahead and pull a slab off and cut. If the bone is white in color they are ready.

This is where experience comes in. The texture you want will determine when to pull off. If you want fall off the bone. Let them go 5-1/2 hours. Remember though. You might be taking a chance on them drying out.

THE FINISH!

There are all kinds of good bbq sauces out there. I think the secret to great sticky finger ribs is a good sauce. I always use a sugar based sauce. I make sure my bbq sauce is cold (been in the fridge) for a few hours or days. This makes the sugar thicken up. This will produce a full flavor of sauce on the ribs.

Our ribs have been on between 4-1/2 and 5-1/2 hours. After pulling them, set them aside and get the egg up to 275. While the temp is climbing apply the desired amount of bbq sauce on the ribs evenly. Today we used Blues Hog. Many competitors use this. Pull the V-Rack off. You want your ribs laying flat when finishing. Place the ribs back on the egg bone side down. Leave on for 20-30 minutes. If your guests allow, pull off, let rest for 5-10 minutes, slice up and enjoy.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• ThisChickGrills
    Options
    Awesome, will post pics with the end result.
    Dallas, TX
  • Billy Grill Eggster
    Options
    I have used oak barrel chips and chunks from wine barrel staves, the oak is STRONG. I would stick with pecan or fruitwood, my wife like cherry wood for smoking ribs.  The CWM recipe that @DAVERICHARDSON posted is great.
    Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks

• Redskull
    Redskull Posts: 55
    Options
    Welcome to the clan!  I use the 2-2-1 method for BB ribs & the 3-2-1 method for spare ribs.  I also use a drip pan filled with a good ale, and some fruit juice of any kind.  Two hours open, indirect heat, 200-250 deg.  2 hours foiled, this step creates a steaming effect, this is where you get the "fall-off-the-bone" ribs.  Remove from BGE, stoke temp up to 300 deg, place foiled ribs back on drill & open the foil, baste with your favorite BBQ sauce very 15 minutes for an hour.  I use a combination of soak apple & cherry wood chips.
    MESQUITE, TEXAS - LBGE, Tejas Smoker, Circle-J 24" open pit grill, indoor & outdoor cooking, beer, camping, more beer & cooking...
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    When I first got my egg, I didn't mind spending 4+ hours cooking ribs or 12+ cooking a butt. Many here consider longer cooks a point of pride. But I grew tired of it. I do my baby backs a la Mickey, turbo: 300* grate, 350* dome. After 1 hour, 40 minutes I check for doneness. I usually need to go 2 hours. I like a little pull on mine. I use just salt and pepper with sauce at the table. Mix of cherry and hickory chunks (I don't think chips will give you enough smoke for long enough). These are so effortless that I end up making them more than I should. 

Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • ThisChickGrills
    Options
    Followed pretty much Car Wash Mike method. Turned out great but I freakin forgot to take a pic before we devoured them!

I took a pic before they went on. Coated in mustard then dry rub and smoked for a total of 6 hours.
    Dallas, TX
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    A before pic is better than no pic at all! Nicely done.
    Options
    I do the turbo method , pull membrane little mustard, favorite rub, 2 fist size chunks of cherry or Apple wood. Stabilize egg at 325 , wait for nice blue smoke., put ribs on when there cold for best absorption of smoke. Cook for 1.5 to 2 hrs, when they pass bend test there done,, nice bark and a clean bite off the bone usually..
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Will you marry me? 

I have a L Egg?
    New Albany, Ohio 

• bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options
    Nice cook! I do turbo cook as well but usually, it's around 3 hours or so before I pull. If you want to keep bark and get fall off the bone, try using butcher paper instead of foil. 

I've done it before one time and it's awesome!  

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts