Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wrong Meat

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Getting started with the BGE has been a blast but am ready to try out some pulled pork. I asked for a Boston Butt but My wife came home with a pork loin top loin boneless roast. Can I slow cook this for a pulled pork? If not I may hand it back to her with my tail between my legs cause I have no idea what to do with it.[p]thanks

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Molar,
    well
    not really.
    but don't hand it back.
    the secret is in the name. it's a roast.[p]roast it!
    you can do pulled pork on sunday.
    it will be the best roast you've ever had.[p]until you cook the next one, that is.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Charles in SC
    Options
    Molar,
    Hold that tail high and tell her that the meat man did not know a d---n thing about meat but you will do the best you can with it and see if she can get what you ask for next time. In the mean time hunt up a pork loin recipe and enjoy it.

• Snowman
    Options
    Molar,
    That is a lean cut and will not benefit from the low and slow. I like to do mine indirect at 300 until internal temp of 140. It should turn out very juicy. Hope this helps[p]Jason

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Options
    IMG_1000_1.jpg
    <p />Molar,[p]this is a little concoction i brewed up. It is really good. Inlaws even asked for the recipe.[p]Rhubarb Chutney Pork Loin Roast[p]I spiral cut this so that it was about 3/4inch thick and covered with Dijon mustard. [p]Season with a little salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme, and paprika. [p]I chopped up 1/4 cup of onion, one jalapeno, and three cloves of garlic. I added 1 tbs of vegtable oil, 1 tbs real lime, 4 tbs orange juice and 6 tbs of rhubarb chutney(any sweet/tangy/chunky jam will work).

1/4 of the mixture was spread onto the roast then roll back up and tie off. The remainder was basted back on during the cook.[p]Cook Indirect at 300 till temp was 140+ and let rest for 10 minutes.[p]If you have the time you could let this marinate for several hours in the fridge, but would need to double the ingredients and use half as the marinade.

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    Molar, Just remember not to overcook this cut of meat. It will dry out very quickly once you get above 145 internal temp. I like to wrap or cover the roast with some bacon strips to help keep it moist. LOL, Tom.