Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egger looking to build a table!

Options
Hi All!

This is my first post here.  I just got my Large Egg about a month ago, and have been having a blast smoking meat, making pizzas and even baking bread.  My Egg currently resides in the Nest with the side tables attached.  I am planning on leaving it there, but would like to build a nice side table for additional space when I have a lot going on out there.  

I designed a simple table in Google's SketchUp (picture and SketchUp file below with edited file extension to jpg, so I could upload it) and am submitting it for comment to you all, who have a wealth of experience that I do not.  The red area is 4 - 12x12 concrete pavers, for putting very hot items (baking steel, pizza stone, etc) on the table without damaging the wood.  I plan on adding some hooks for hanging various items, which aren't shown.  Are there any other features/items I should be thinking about?  Thanks in advance for your comments, I look forward to reading them!

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Bottle opener.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    A tube with wing bolts to slide in a large umbrella. That is unless the table is under a cover of some sort already.

And swivel locking casters would be ideal unless you "never" plan on moving it.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • sjwebb15
    sjwebb15 Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks, Husker!  The bottle opener had occurred to me, but I'd forgotten. Thanks for the reminder.  The umbrella tube is a great idea.  I will look into that and I will think about the casters.  It's probably going to be pretty stationary, but it still might be nice to have them.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    You might consider 12x12 granite tiles instead of pavers. They look much nicer and are pretty cheap at Home Depot et al.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Where do you plan to store your plate setter, pizza stone, grate? Having some shelving to store these items when not using them in the egg would be great.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    A large cutting area next to a cut out dropping into a garbage can....
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • geronimo
    geronimo Posts: 41
    Options
    Get some heavy duty casters to roll it around on and a handle/bar on one end to control it with.  Use your imagination!!!  You can go to Green Egg Tables Images on Google and look at photos of tables people have built.  I am almost done building one and am very pleased with it!!  Good luck and enjoy!!! 

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    +1 on a way to mount an umbrella.  Use mine all the time.

I also inlaid an 18 x 18 ceramic tile into the top, and put some tiles under the egg (in an egg nest). Glad I did both.  Also I have two shelves rather than one as most tables do.  Mine are full of stuff I do n ot know where I would have stored otherwise.    Have fun with the project.  It is a fun one, and if your friends are like mine, they will be impressed.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Keefer
    Keefer Posts: 120
    Options
    Looks like you are on to a very functional and useful design. Personally, I would prefer the boards making up the top and the shelf to run the length of the table so that there would not be end grain along the edge of the table where I would most likely be working.
  • Buzzz
    Buzzz Posts: 5
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Hangers/hooks on side for misc tools. (as you said...sorry...missed it originally)
    Dry cabinet for charcoal, starter?
    Area for platesetter, rig, etc

I'm in the design phase for a table for my new egg also so hopefully the egg god's on this forum will chip in!

Medium BGE - Johns Creek, GA
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    keep the boards running like they are, and add a fascia board on the front to hide the end-grain

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    edited August 2014
    Options
    After 8 years with this table and a cedar board top, I had a stainless steel work surface fabricated. It's a whole new world. Great prep surface, and will accommodate hot items. Cleans up great with some BarKeepers Friend. If it gets scratched or gouged, I just take some 800-1200 grit sandpaper to it on an orbital sander or a nice Scotchbrite pad.

Local welding shop had a sheet of the SS. He bent the front and sides over for me, welded the corners and cut the hole for the egg with a plasma cutter. 13 gauge 304 stainless steel sealed down to a top of 3/4 inch treated plywood with construction adhesive. I paid the guy $225 for the fabrication. Otherwise, the table has been optimally functional for 8 years. Plenty of hooks along the sides and front. Don't forget the bottle opener. I added one a few years ago and can't imagine how I got along without it from the start.

8 years ago, 2 years ago, last week. When I went from two Eggs to three, I had to increase the charcoal storage from a 20 gallon to 32 gallon Rubbermaid container. Works great as year-round charcoal storage. I dump it in with a galvanized grain scoop.

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @Maccool‌ nice! :-bd
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @Maccool‌ Here's mine. Love the SS man.

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL

Outstanding!

Your screen name suggests some Big Red in your background (I'm new here). I lived in Omaha all my life ... undergrad at UNL, summers at UNO, medical school at UNMC. image
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited August 2014
    Options
    @Maccool‌ Love the Avatar work! Yep! North Platte. Thus the NP Husker and have lived in FL for 22 yrs now. GBR!!!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014