Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Clean burn & retro use of damaged plate setter

Options
I think I have less than 25 cooks on my large, so I'm probably not ready for a clean burn just yet. Being on the forum is such a learning process for me. It's great information. I can't do one until I change the gasket on my Smokeware cap. I wasn't aware that the gasket should be attached to the cap itself rather than the top of the egg. (Which was where the gasket was for the damper when I purchased the egg. I was educated by Ron that it was necessary to attach the gasket to the cap so,that when a clean burn was done, you could remove both the cap and gasket at same time eliminating a gummy mess. Thanks Ron..... So, how hot should a clean burn be, and what is the appropriate duration? What should be left in the egg while you're doing the burn? I probably could have saved myself some money by spending more time on the forum prior to making any accessory purchases. I would have just bought an AR and be done with it. As it was, the store told me a plate setter was a necessary accessory. I bought one.....used it for a short period of time, dropped it and broke one of the legs off. Bought another one ( mistake) oh well......so now I purchased a pswoo2ci and a large 3-legged spider. I also have 3 fired brick thingies that keep flower pots an inch or so off the ground to allow water to drain. They will allow me to,put a 13" grid on top of my 18" grid and move up into the dome a little. This allowed me to try and repurpose the damaged plate setter. I used my high rpm diamond edged ceramic saw to cut off the other 2 legs and neaten things up a little.....Can I now use this as my 13" pizza stone, or is a little too thick for this use? If it is, I can always use it as my indirect piece on the large spider I guess...thanks for any thoughts!!
Berlin, Maryland

Comments

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    It will be fine for a pizza stone, it just takes a little longer to heat up.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Hankyorke
    Hankyorke Posts: 146
    Options
    Your gasket for the cap will be fine. Had mine for over a year and it lasted no problem through multiple clean burns...

LBGE

BTFU!

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    rsterman said:
    I think I have less than 25 cooks on my large, so I'm probably not ready for a clean burn just yet. Being on the forum is such a learning process for me. It's great information. I can't do one until I change the gasket on my Smokeware cap. I wasn't aware that the gasket should be attached to the cap itself rather than the top of the egg. (Which was where the gasket was for the damper when I purchased the egg. I was educated by Ron that it was necessary to attach the gasket to the cap so,that when a clean burn was done, you could remove both the cap and gasket at same time eliminating a gummy mess. Thanks Ron..... So, how hot should a clean burn be, and what is the appropriate duration? What should be left in the egg while you're doing the burn? I probably could have saved myself some money by spending more time on the forum prior to making any accessory purchases. I would have just bought an AR and be done with it. As it was, the store told me a plate setter was a necessary accessory. I bought one.....used it for a short period of time, dropped it and broke one of the legs off. Bought another one ( mistake) oh well......so now I purchased a pswoo2ci and a large 3-legged spider. I also have 3 fired brick thingies that keep flower pots an inch or so off the ground to allow water to drain. They will allow me to,put a 13" grid on top of my 18" grid and move up into the dome a little. This allowed me to try and repurpose the damaged plate setter. I used my high rpm diamond edged ceramic saw to cut off the other 2 legs and neaten things up a little.....Can I now use this as my 13" pizza stone, or is a little too thick for this use? If it is, I can always use it as my indirect piece on the large spider I guess...thanks for any thoughts!!
    Since you ask my opinion I will tell you what I do when I do a clean burn. Rather than to otherwise waste lump I wait until the tie I am doing a high temperature sear cook of 650 to 700 anyway. After the food is off, I open my bottom vent wide open, take off my daisy or SmokeWare cap, remove my dome thermometer and just her rip! I let it burn itself out! Of course I'm using Rutland gaskets which withstand 2,200 degrees which is far above anything temperature a BGE is capable of producing at the gasket level.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Grillin_beers
    Options
    I agree with @RRP‌. I normally do a pizza cook and then let it burn off afterwards. I only do a clean cook once a year or less. I normally vary my cooks between high temp searing and low and slows. Not in any intentional way, that's just how it works out. For what it's worth, I love my plate setter.
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god.