Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Brats

When cooking brats on the Egg do you guys cook them directly or indirectly? Also, what temp do you recommend? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• P1010136.jpg
    <p />DannyT,[p]Direct, raised grid.[p]E
  • Indirect produces an anemic looking brat since the skin doesn't brown up very well.
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 22,729
    DannyT,
    i cook them like this, after taking them from the beer, coat with mustard and apply your favorite rub, then cook direct raised grid

[ul][li]brats[/ul]
  • AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    DannyT,
    I just simmer them in beer for about 20 minutes then grill over high heat, just enough to put some color on and make them purty. -RP

• DannyT,[p]And, being contrary like I am, I grill 'em direct first and THEN simmer them in beer. You can fish 'em out as you need 'em.[p]I'm not real sure you can mess up a brat...[p]RE
  • AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    randomegger,
    That's the way Webber reccommends doing it in thier cookbook. I used to do it like that but had more splitting and flare ups. Found it better to get some of the greese out of them before grilling. -RP

• DugDug Posts: 14
    randomegger,
    I cook them direct while drinking the beer!

• Thanks for all the tips, but I have to say I like Dug's way the best. :-)
  • Dug,
    I guess great minds think alike

• Johnsonville_Brats.jpg
    <p />DannyT,[p]I do mine slow at 250 with a chunk of hickory. I like the way the fat renders out while I still get a moist Johnsonville brat that tastes great wrapped up in a hot tortilla with some horse radish mustard.[p]They take about an hour at 250 on a raised grid. Turn every 10 minutes and rotate around any hot spots.[p]Cheers,[p]GM
  • eggoreggor Posts: 777
    Dug,[p]thats how my dad made em, thats how I make em, and if I had a son and caught soakin his brats in beer I'ld wonder were i went wrong :-)[p]Scott