Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first overnight cook tonight, questions and progress.

Options
124»

Comments

• Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739
    Options
    Sounds like your first overnight has been a touch bumpy but it seems you are getting better at dialing in your temps. After my first two overnights I thought I needed a pit controller as well but with a little practice I have a done. Dozen or so without one with no issues. You will get the hang of it the more you use the egg. Hopefully you can squeeze in a nap today.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    Where in AB are you?
    GWN
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Don't give up on a naked egg (no controller) yet.... Play some more. Give it an hour or two before looking at the temps.

I'll bet some of the spikes were from the wood chips/chunks lighting up.

I've only got about 10 low & slows under my belt, but that's the the best advise I can give.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• noregard
    noregard Posts: 306
    Options
    Seems to have slowed down, phew. 8:45 245* 180* IT. @johnmitchell ya, for only having 3 hours of random sleep I'm feeling OK, for now. Probably be a different story by this afternoon, I've never been able to nap but might have to give it a go. @nanook I really have no idea how long it'll take. I have 8 hours remaining, which would make for a 17 hour cook if it went that long. That's definitely in there with the times others have had. I'm thinking now is a good time to run to Costco and crappy tire.
    Lethbridge, Alberta         LBGE & MM
  • Nanook
    Options
    I remember my first overnighter. Took 22hrs. Very high stress, with very little sleep. Lol
    GWN
  • noregard
    Options
    @nanook 22 hours?! Oh man, I'll be hooped if it drags out that long. I was up in the 280-290* range for quite awhile so theoretically I would think that should prevent a tremendously long finish.
  • Nanook
    Options
    Ya. Sounds like you should be good.
    GWN
  • Nanook
    Options
    Have fun at Costco and Crappy Tire. You know what kind of zoo those places are in Alberta on a Sunday!!
    GWN
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    + 1 on the controller for me.
    Went the first year without, did fine but the checking , creep up in temps got old.
    Love the digi q so far.its great on day time low and slows to.
    Good luck.
    Seattle, WA
  • noregard
    Options
    Definitely a late (?) 180* stall.  Been there for 3 hours now, dome is rock solid (finally, no thanks to me) at 250.  I'm dying to have a look but I'm going to leave it alone.  Getting excited, and expecting a positive outcome.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Yes, you have locked in a temp, should not require adjustments except very minor tweaks to only one vent at a time. Now take a nap. :))
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Nanook
    Options
    I like to take pork butt to 202*-205*. It's going to be great! No peeking. Lol
    GWN
  • noregard
    Options
    Haven't peeked yet, its getting harder and harder to fight the urge! Up to 191* now. No time to nap, the Mrs has pictures I need to hang before people get here, I just retapped the threads and fixed a lamp, picked up a pork loin and two packs of chicken thighs at Costco and naturally my vacuum sealer is acting up so I'll be opening that up soon....good times. But like I said earlier, if these are the worst of my problems this weekend I'm a happy man, life is good. Cheers!!
  • noregard
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Its all coming together. Butt was taken off the egg nearly an hour ago, IT was 203 but 208 on the other side. I realize now that I had the probe too close to the bone. It looks and tastes great. I just put on some bacon ends that I had in the freezer, and going to reheat some baked beans in the dutch oven. The meat claws are sharpened up and on stand by. Most the rest of my chores are finished. Starting to feel the lack of sleep creep up on me, a shower should help with that but the ensuing beers won't. 

Found a new purpose for the gasser also.

Plenty of lump left after nearly 17 hours, I did end up filling to just below the platesetter.

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Congratulations..I feel I have walked this whole road with you..Glad it has worked out..Trust yourself and above all "Trust the Egg"..Have a Fantastic evening.... :-c
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • noregard
    Options
    @ johnmitchell no kidding, thanks again to you and @sgh, @dmw, @smokinpig, @nanook, @mattman3969, @ladeback69,@stemc33,@nphuskerfl. GREAT GROUP OF PEOPLE HERE, I should have joined and started posting last year instead of lurking so long.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    No problem just pay it forward!!! That is what makes this place great is most people share and help. We have all been where you were last night but the difference was I didn't know about this place.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739
    Options
    Looks like a winner to me. Good work now enjoy.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @noregard‌ very nice! At least the late night babysitting of the egg had a most excellent payoff. =D>
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • DTEgg
    DTEgg Posts: 93
    Options
    Excellent work by all involved! Truly a group effort...you have good, tender, flavorful, meat and you can sleep when you're dead!
    LBGE
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    This was a neat thread. Congrats on your first overnighter @noregard‌ hope it was as good as it looked. :-bd
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Nanook
    Options
    @noregard‌. Congrats!! I know how good it feels when it all works! It's definitely a fun and rewarding journey to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow!!
    GWN