Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re feeling pretty super, how about you? The big game is fast approaching, and while we love football, we love an excuse to invite people over and cook even more! You too can cook like a champion with recipes from Dr. BBQ’s NFL Gameday Cookbook: Grilled Tuna Sandwiches from Seattle and Baked Brie from New England. Who’s going to win? You’ll have to cook both to find out.

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

Invite to share your Cast Iron Dutch Oven cooking experience

This post is an invite to share your Cast Iron Dutch Oven cooking experiences. I have a lodge 5 qt flat bottom double dutch oven, and the lid is a frying pan. Thus far I have only cooked beans in it. Plan to bake some bread in it someday soon.
·

Comments

• Chris_WangChris_Wang Posts: 1,253
    edited September 2013
    I do peach cobbler (recipe on the egg site) in our DO and it always turns out fantastic.

2 cups of self rising flour
    2 tsp of baking powder
    1 1/2 cups of sugar
    2 cups of buttermilk
    2 sticks of salted butter
    2 cans of peaches (we drain)

Platesetter in, heat egg and DO to 425°. Combine all the ingredients (except the peaches) in a separate mixing bowl while the butter melts in the DO. Pour in the mixture to the melted butter and add the peaches to the batter and let them just fall into the cobbler.

Cook until the edges are crispy (25-40 minutes depending on your DO).

Simple recipe.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

·
  • BonarBonar Posts: 28
    love peach cobbler, great idea
    ·
  • FoghornFoghorn Posts: 1,980

XL BGE, Klose BYC, ProQ Excel, Weber Kettle, Firepit, Grand Turbo gasser, and a portable Outdoor Gourmet gasser for tailgating

San Antonio, TX

·
    Thank you love apple pie, so the apple cobbler should be good to go.
    ·
  • I made @nibblemethis recipe for faux cochon de lait, and it was absolutely fantastic.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1145242/faux-cochon-de-lait
    Chicago, Illinois
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,646

One of our favorites is mussels. Quick and easy.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/discussion/1145021/spicy-mussels-and-clams

Recipe and directions HERE

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • I made a Cioppino that I got the recipe from the Big green egg cook book and I was amazing not to hard to make but it was great to eat I dont have any photos but when I make it again I will post photos and recipe 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
    ·
  • Anything you can cook in an oven you can cook in a Dutch (kind of like the Egg). I've done Apple cobblers in mine car camping that are well received. I've also seen the pros do stews, rolls, and I once had a cake made in a Dutch oven layer by layer.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Note: Once I got my egg, the Dutch oven table gets a lot more use because I can set really hot items right out of the egg on it or while I'm changing configuration during a cook.

Keep us posted on what you try (I picked up a 12 in Dutch without feet for use on the egg and just haven't played yet.) Fall is coming with great opportunities.

·
  • DMWDMW Posts: 5,228
    I'm doing bread in mine tonight. I have a 4-Quart flat bottom Lodge I just got yesterday and 6-Quart Camp Chef with legs. I will be doing both loaves at the same time, just confirmed that both DO just so fit on my XL.
    My Facebook Place where I document my cooking
    Morgantown, PA
    XL BGE - S BGE - Blackstone Pizza Oven - 30" Steel Fire Pit w/Cooking Grid - Hasty Bake Legacy - KJ Jr - Gasser
    ·
  • Cooked up some mighty spicy chili as posted here http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1141181/meteorite-salad#latest

It's jambalya time this weekend and Dutchie is getting a workout.

"Oh me oh my oh!"

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

·
    Wow all great ideas for future cooks, I will post my next Dutch Oven adventure and share info. With cooler weather on the way some of these hardy stew type meals and such come to mind for cooks.
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 12,847

I made @nibblemethis recipe for faux cochon de lait, and it was absolutely fantastic.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1145242/faux-cochon-de-lait

This recipe is a must do. The last few times I've pulled the pork, added a little of the cream that's cooked down and then served on hoagie buns topped with red wine vinegar slaw. They different flavors and textures are amazing.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
    Oh my; thinking I have gained some weight just reading all the great dutch oven feedback from everyone. Sounds yummy!
    ·
  • CANMAN1976CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,510
     Cowlick chili in my le creuset.....yum yum!

IMG_3418.JPG
    1600 x 1200 - 455K
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol cock

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
    ·
  • RedskullRedskull Posts: 55
    Gonna attempt carne guisada in my 7 qt lodge.  typically do dutch oven cooking on my Circle-J open pit directly on the coals, and coals on the lid.  Any recommendations for the LBGE as far as techniques?  Photo is a couple of Rock Cornish Hens on my Circle-J.
    photo.JPG
    1600 x 1200 - 658K
    MESQUITE, TEXAS - LBGE, Tejas Smoker, Circle-J 24" open pit grill, indoor & outdoor cooking, beer, camping, more beer & cooking...
    ·
  • RACRAC Posts: 1,290

No stir peach cobbler

Ricky

Spring, TX

·
  • ZmokinZmokin Posts: 1,060
    If you don't mind soft skin on your chicken, line the bottom of the DO with bacon, sprinkle whatever seasonings you want on your chicken pieces (I prefer to fill my DO with drumsticks).  Then layer the top of the chicken with another layer of bacon.  Cook for about 1.5 hours with the right amount of briquets on bottom and top as required for a 350 degree cook.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

·
  • SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 2,103
    Uses my LA creuset for an beef stew. Worked out great cleanup and smoke stains were no issue.
    Seattle, WA
    ·
  • I've done a peach cobbler, mac n cheese and bbq beans..all have turned out great.
    ·
  • Mr HollowayMr Holloway Posts: 2,032
    Egret's Cowlick Chili and mussels with lots of crusty bread are hard to top.
    ·
  • HDumptyEsqHDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Any braises would work. I love lamb shanks cooked low and slow, say 275 to 300. Lots of veggies to your taste, a splash of red wine and beef broth. I also put an OXO lamb cube in there too.
    One word of caution if you're using a nicely seasoned DO (not an enameled one like Le Creuset) remove the contents to a non-reactive container if you're not serving right away. The gravy is fairly acidic with the red wine and will take your seasoning off. Ask me how I know!

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

·
  • Austin  EggheadAustin Egghead Posts: 3,238
    edited July 2014
    Cornbread

bones

no knead bread in Enameled CI

Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
    ·
  • I did beef po boy sandwiches a week or two ago.

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

·
  • RedskullRedskull Posts: 55
    RAC said:

No stir peach cobbler

That sounds awesome, thanks for the tip!

MESQUITE, TEXAS - LBGE, Tejas Smoker, Circle-J 24" open pit grill, indoor & outdoor cooking, beer, camping, more beer & cooking...
    ·
  • OmahaOneOmahaOne Posts: 75
    Question: Does cooking with an Enameled DO in the EGG damage the enamel coating?
    XL BGE - Indianapolis, IN
    ·
  • NanookNanook Posts: 353
    @"Austin Egghead"‌ . Any chance you'd share that corn bread recipe. It looks awesome!
    GWN
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 12,415
    no-knead bread

·
  • grege345grege345 Posts: 2,411
    My favorite leftover spatchcock recipe. imageimage
    image.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 264K
    image.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 3M
    image.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos
    ·
  • HDumptyEsqHDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    OmahaOne said:
    Question: Does cooking with an Enameled DO in the EGG damage the enamel coating?
    I don't but there were some posts about a couple of months ago where people said it was fine to do it and clean up was easy. There were no effects on the enamel.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

·
  • NDGNDG Posts: 1,038
    Griffin's Grub Braised Short Ribs in a Red Wine Sauce . . excellent!

Columbus, Ohio
    ·