Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

liquor laws

Options
2»

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Yep, PA has some weird ones as several mentioned already. I'm just glad beer distributors are open on Sundays now. I remember a couple dry Sundays that involved poor planning and a really good Saturday night.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    @botch- will do- will be in SLC Aug 5-8th but no Ogden this round.
    Greensboro, NC
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Just remember, whatever laws you have in your state and county could be worse or become worse.

The village my daughter lives in is a dry village. Meaning no alcohol. Some of Alaska's villages control sugar and yeast to prevent home brew.

Not to get political, but as our government grows and expands it's authority of what's good us and what's not, don't be surprised if the GOV takes it all away.

Just saying. Enjoy it while you got it. :ar!
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    I keep it simple.  Set the low-level alarm above where you can hurt yourself if you "run it out" and then restock as necessary.  And yes we have inconsistent laws depending on your day of religion (not a topic offering) and who know's what else drives the equation. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    @lousubcap - our land of Ky Jelly is a strange one, is it not ?

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • DMW
    Options
    lousubcap said:

I keep it simple.  Set the low-level alarm above where you can hurt yourself if you "run it out" and then restock as necessary.  And yes we have inconsistent laws depending on your day of religion (not a topic offering) and who know's what else drives the equation. 

Those Seventh Day Advendists must be really pissed that their day doesn't deserve no alchy status.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Four Roses Small Batch is pretty damn good. I think I prefer the Woodford DO, if I don't feel like drinking scotch.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    Just remember, whatever laws you have in your state and county could be worse or become worse.

The village my daughter lives in is a dry village. Meaning no alcohol. Some of Alaska's villages control sugar and yeast to prevent home brew.

Not to get political, but as our government grows and expands it's authority of what's good us and what's not, don't be surprised if the GOV takes it all away.

Just saying. Enjoy it while you got it. :ar!
    @stemc33 - In the case of liquor laws, esp blue laws, it's usually always religiously controlled local or state government that passes those restrictions.  I don't want any religion telling me when I can buy booze.  C'mon, give credit where credit is due.  The other facet to this is protectionism - bars against restaurants against stores against distributors, etc. 
    edited July 2014
    Options
    @henapple‌ And meanwhile somewhere in an undisclosed area in Da Boro TN ;)
    beverly hillbillies tonic democrats republicans: http://youtu.be/N9Z5Ti9OEH4
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Your right @nolaegghead‌ . I try and keep politics and religion out of my forum post, but sometimes it just comes out. The United States is a 24/7 365 days a year operation. I really don't understand when a guys last day of the work week ends on Sunday, why he can't go have a cold one without having to plan the day before.

It's silliness. When I was in Germany, the day of rest was enforced/lived in most aspects of business and pleasure. In the US, it just depends what local government dictates. I know mostly because of the Blue Laws when it's a law about alcohol.

FWIW, I hardly ever drink, maybe once every three years. But with that said, I realize that as an American, one should have the freedom to have a drink when he/she wants without the day of the week being factored in.

I can go on forever, so I'll just go back to the original post of

Enjoy it while you got it.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    That's fine.  I can go on forever about it too.  But it's important to make the distinction that this isn't the federal government, this is majority rule at the local level.  If you live in a local area where the religious beliefs have infiltrated the legislature, you get stuff like blue laws.  Just look at the bible belt and even in other countries, where the government is influenced by sharia.  All that stuff is a huge threat to American Freedom.  You should be worried. 

From wiki:

Blue laws --known also as Sunday laws-- are laws designed to restrict or ban some or all Sunday activities for religious standards, particularly the observance of a day of worship or rest. Blue laws may also restrict shopping or ban sale of certain items on specific days, most often on Sundays in the western world. Some Islamic nations may ban on Fridays, and Israel often on Saturday Sabbath. Blue laws are enforced in parts of the United States, as well as some European countries, particularly in Austria, France, Germany, Switzerland, and Norway keeping most stores closed on Sundays.

In the United States, the U.S. Supreme Court have held blue laws as constitutional numerous times due to secular rationales, even though the origin of the blue laws were for religious purposes. Most blue laws have been repealed in the United States, although many states still ban the sale of alcoholic beverages or cars on Sundays. Bergen County in New Jersey is notable for their blue laws banning the sale of clothing, shoes, furniture, home supplies and appliances on Sundays kept through county-wide referendum. Paramus, New Jersey has its own blue laws even more strict than the county itself, banning any type of worldly employment on Sundays except necessity items such as food and gasoline.

Options
    Just out of curiosity, what do you think about laws against wearing baggy pants in public?
    Options
    @nolaegghead‌ I'm totally understanding what your saying. I should of said governments. Using just government makes everyone think the FEDs. And to go a little further, it is the people.

And yes Sharia scares the hell out of me.

Thanks for all the interesting discussions and your input on the forum.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • stevethegreat
    stevethegreat Posts: 247
    edited July 2014
    Options
    @nolaegghead‌ interesting that the wiki says Israel doesn't sell liquor on Saturday since it's customary to drink to celebrate the Sabbath...and I've totally bought liquor and beer then while over there. I guess the key words are "may" and "often".
    Steve
    Outside of Appleton, WI - MBGE, LBGE
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Where I live Greenville tx ,26k population it's been wet "beer and wine" for about 5 years. But you still have to drive 8 miles out of town to buy liquor. Its just dumb.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options

Just out of curiosity, what do you think about laws against wearing baggy pants in public?

Should fall under the common sense arena. I don't want to see their drawers. Just saying.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • nolaegghead
    Options

Should fall under the common sense arena. I don't want to see their drawers. Just saying.
    So if it's a law that tells us how to dress, f*ck, eat or something else personal that doesn't hurt anyone else, it's ok, unless it doesn't appeal to a majority?  Taste is subjective. I'm not a fan of that style, but I am a fan of personal freedom.  If you agree with that, then the correct answer would be, I don't like it, but I am for not having fashion and bedroom laws.  What's common sense?  Something that transcends cultural norm?  If it's hot, take off your shirt, ladies.  I don't have a problem with that, but there are laws against it.  Eating - should we make laws banning trans-fat food?  At least in that case society has a stake in people's health, as a productive member of society and the liability of health problems and the drag that puts on other people via society as a whole.  But that seems to be a serious issue of intrusion.   Slippery slope - let's stay the f away from them.
    Options

I think we should let Brett Favre decide.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UgEKsbBIdjw
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • stevethegreat
    Options
    @stemc33‌ I was hoping for a wranglers commercial.
    Steve
    Outside of Appleton, WI - MBGE, LBGE
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @nolaegghead‌ ahhh ahhh ahhh didn't say a law. Said "common sense arena". I don't need to see them der drawers :)).
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    I heard that Utah banned sex due to concern that it would lead to dancing and drinking.
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • NervousDad
    NervousDad Posts: 307
    Options
    I just moved out of PA and it's been a wonderful experience to go to a grocery store and buy beer and wine. PA was so archaic making people go to a state store for wine and a beer distributor for beer.

Aurora,OH
  • DMW
    Options
    California has some pretty intrusive laws and regulations IMHO, but WRT alcohol sales it's pretty good. Beer pretty much anywhere, liquor/wine at grocery stores.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Boileregger
    Boileregger Posts: 614
    Options
    @Botch I used to live in Sandy. The rules were so freaking weird that I could never figure it out. The club thing was ridiculous. Glad that is gone.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options

You southern States are weird. I can get whatever I want 7 days a week. Just no grocery stores, so there's that.

Well let's not pretend all of MD isn't weird, my stores in Baltimore County are closed on Sunday (except the Sunday before Christmas and the Sunday before New Years).

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    GA just changed like a year ago to allow alcohol after noon on Sunday. It was no alcohol except from restaurants, bars, etc. Its funny I went to Costco last Sunday and not thinking I grabbed a case of miller lite for the pool. Got to the register and the guy in self checkout said they couldn't sell it yet and I apologized that he had to walk it back to the back of the store but he turned around and walked a couple steps and he had a shopping cart full where others had done the same thing. What a stupid law. So instead of drinking miller lite and having a chill day at the pool I was forced to drink bourbon and ginger instead.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    @ACN, True, it's a local jurisdiction thing. There are no statewide laws, per se. Even the shipping laws may fall soon now that wine can be shipped.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Lit, they did you a favor man.  hahahaa

Seriously though, **** magic.
    Options
    Where do you draw the lines? A restaurant just posted a no saggy, oversized clothes and flat bill cap rule. I'm cool with that. It's there restaurant.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    up here we have the new hampshire liquor barns, no tax, cheap, and convenient from the highways with their own on ramps
    :D massachusetts, vermont, and maine flood in with packey runs. its getting common to see people buying macallens 25 by the case
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it