Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump Level

Options
dldawes1
dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
I think our general consensus here is to fill the firebox to the rim every time. Am I wrong ???  I do it that way, that is what I understood. I know every one has different methods, but is there a valid reason not to fill all the way up ????? I've had a few folks argue with me, thought I'd better check back with the pros !!!!

It all started with this first pic, and I didn't even have it to the very top !!!!!

Also, heres a few pics of tonights cook after returning from Porkopolis Eggfest 2014. Pizza and then grilled pineapple with Dizzy Pig Pineapple Head rub.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

Comments

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I fill mine to the bottom of the firebox.

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Most eggcellent cooks and glad you enjoyed Porkolopis-WRT the lump load deal...I believe that the load level comes with eggsperience.  Given you can never load too much (as long as you can get adequate air-flow) then over time you will likely shorten it up on occasion.  Why-once burned lump has been "cleaned" of VOC's, lights quicker and requires less handling to fire up the BGE.  And if a known short cook time then "why wait?"  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    That 1st pic looks like it's filled to the top of the fire ring. That's a lot o' lump!

I think most use the fire box as a guage.
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I think it really depends on what you are trying to cook. If I am just doin a simple raised direct I may fill to top of fire box. After all raised is supposed to get the food away from the direct heat. If I am doin a steak that will be reverse sear I will fill to the top like your pic and cook indirect for the first part of the cook and remove my woo and put the grid on the fire ring because I didn't have a spider to drop down low until I recently cut it loose of the woo. In short my lump levels change depending on what I am cooking

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I usually just fill the firebox unless I am doing a really long cook, then will load into the fire rings almost to where it would touch the plate setter.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Sorry I never got back to this thread. Maybe I misunderstood from my great teachers here in the forum. I thought I should always load to top of fire ring/bottom of PS. I always get good airflow by stirring unused lump before refilling on the next cook. Have never had a problem. Are there any disadvantages that anyone has found to Fillin' her to the top every time ???? Thanks for your feedback. Donnie

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    Only time I fill all the way up is for a low and slow cook. 
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I always fill to the top of the firebox/ bottom of the fire ring, and I've never had a problem. I smoked a pork butt for 15 hours last weekend and still had enough lump left over for a full cook the next day. With a load of good lump up to the fire ring id estimate I could get about 20 hours at 250 in a LBGE.
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    My regular loading level is just to the top of the firebox. The egg comes up to temp faster and I can burn long enough for most cooks, plus desserts. For pork butts and such where I'm shooting for 250°-275° for a long time, I fill it up close to the top of the firebox.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • SmokyBear
    SmokyBear Posts: 389
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Seems like you'd burn a lot of lump unnecessarily loading that full.  So, the downside is the cost of the lump that you don't 'have' to burn..

I put 2 - 2.5 lbs of lump into my "black egg" (KJ) and can get to 400 in 20 minutes - and have lump left over.

One good trick I came across is to use the 'Kick Ash Bucket' which winds up leaving a pretty big gap all the way around between the side of the metal and the firebox.  That seems to increase airflow and also reduces the amount of lump I need to get a really good fire going.

2 - 2.5 lbs for me seems to be the magic amount.  Pretty consistent results with that.  (Believe it or not, I do weigh the lump - just until I get the hang of how full that really is..)

PS: This is for pizza, steaks, spatchcock..I do all smoking on my Cookshack.
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I have never filled as far as your pic shows, and I have done 18 hour cooks and had lump left over.  I guess it does not hurt though, what ever you have found works for you.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    SmokyBear said:
    Seems like you'd burn a lot of lump unnecessarily loading that full.  So, the downside is the cost of the lump that you don't 'have' to burn..

I put 2 - 2.5 lbs of lump into my "black egg" (KJ) and can get to 400 in 20 minutes - and have lump left over.

One good trick I came across is to use the 'Kick Ash Bucket' which winds up leaving a pretty big gap all the way around between the side of the metal and the firebox.  That seems to increase airflow and also reduces the amount of lump I need to get a really good fire going.

2 - 2.5 lbs for me seems to be the magic amount.  Pretty consistent results with that.  (Believe it or not, I do weigh the lump - just until I get the hang of how full that really is..)

PS: This is for pizza, steaks, spatchcock..I do all smoking on my Cookshack.
    You're only going to burn through the same amount no matter what. I'd surmise you'll burn through more with a smaller load than a larger due to the increased air flow. This can be mitigated with vent settings, though.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I only fill that much for a L+S (and not really even that much).  However, the only downside I could think of is there have been times when I've made a mess of the inside of the egg during a cook and I really want to end the evening with an unplanned clean burn which I don't usually snuff, I just let them burn out.  That much lump would be a waste and keep the egg at an unsafe temp for far too long.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Filling to the bottom of the firebox means empty.lol
    Sorry John, had to say it.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    I've never filled past the top of the firebox.
    I see no reason to put lump inside of the fire ring.
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I usually dump some in before a cook. No idea how much. As for weighing it... =))

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Sixpack1
    Sixpack1 Posts: 189
    Options
    How far do you guys fill for a clean burn? Top of the fire ring is what I understood. Please correct me if I misunderstood it. Thanks
    The Gator Nation, Central Florida
    LARGE & MINI  Life is good...
    GO GATORS!!!

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Filling to the bottom of the firebox means empty.lol
    Sorry John, had to say it.

Cooking with an empty egg :^o
    =))
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Sixpack1 said:
    How far do you guys fill for a clean burn? Top of the fire ring is what I understood. Please correct me if I misunderstood it. Thanks

Top of the fire ring should certainly do it!! That's a lotta lump! I haven't done a clean burn in so long, I really don't remember how much I used. Might have been that much. It's no big deal though, just throw some in and let 'er rip.

Better yet, make some high hydration pizza dough and cook a 6-700* pizza. Rather than wasting lump cooking nothing.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut