Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Christmas Prime Rib

Options
Btown Egger
Btown Egger Posts: 32
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I will be attempting my first beef rib roast for Christmas this year and would appreciate any input. We will have a large crowd of about 14 adults, so I'm thinking about a 14 lb. rib roast. Questions are: Should I cook the whole roast or is it better to split it in half and cook the two together in the Egg? How would cooking time estimates change if I cooked two 7 lb. roasts vs. one 14 lb? I wouldn't think the cooking time would be cut in half or would it? Would a 14 lb. rib roast fit whole in a large Egg? I did purchase a 7 1/2 lb. rib roast to try this weekend before Christmas and it was about 9 inches in length so I'm thinking a 14 pounder might not fit as a whole on the large egg's 18 inch grid and therefore I would need to split for them to fit side by side.[p]I expect to do a 500-600 degree sear and then cook for remainder at 325-350 indirect until internal temp. is about 140-145 for medium doneness which according to my calculations should take a little over 4 hours to complete. Sound about right?

Comments

• Nessmuk
    Nessmuk Posts: 251
    Options
    Btown Egger,
    I have cook 1 or 2 each year for many years. Last year, I bought the whole rib for about $135. [p]I smoke it whole, as is. I cook @ 225 to 250 for the time it takes to get to 125 internal. Then I wrap it in film, place it in a styrofoam container til we are ready to eat. It holds temp for up to 2 hours.[p]It will probably take about 4 to 5 hours @ my temps.[p]Never had a bad result. Beleive the polder.[p]I think I paid about $135 for the entire prime rib last year. The checkout girl said that is the most she has seen paid for meat.[p]It is worth it.[p]

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Btown Egger,
    here is a link to how i do them. ..very close to what you describe. .. i did a 17 pounder at eggtoberfest this year with great results .. .you have to cut it in half though to make it fit. ..face the two halves - thick side facing each other on the egg. ..it will fit fine over on the grid over inverted plate setter. . ..4 hours may be a little long though. .. .if you figure each roast weighs around 8 pounds, and at 15 minutes per pound for medium rare. ..it will only take about 2 hours or so after searing for them to hit 125 - 130 internal temps. ...

[ul][li]http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxprimerib.htm[/ul]
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    What are doing posting this late? I need to call you about 11am my time tomorrow. Okay. That is your lunch time isn't it?

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    sure, call me tomorrow if you want. ..that should be a good time. . . .call me right now if you feel like. ..kids just went to bed, and i'm hanging out here. . . .

• Btown Egger
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. It sounds like I should expect roughly 1.75 to 2 hours for two 7 pound roasts cooked side by side for medium rare.[p]Our local supermarket, Big Y, has black angus semi-boneless rib roasts this week for $5.99/lb. therefore we should be around $80 for a 14 pounder. The 7.5 pound "trial" version I picked out today for this weekend's test cook looked excellent. The butcher cut the bone and then tied it back on the roast. I'm thinking of cooking past 125 however to more like 140 internal. The wife doesn't like her meat "moooing" as she puts it and I thought 140 would get us closer to medium doneness.[p]I'll have to post some pics once all is done. I knew that order of Cowlick would find its way into some holiday meal. [p]Mike[p]

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Btown Egger,
    if you cook that bad boy to 140 internal. ..its gonna be 150 by the time you carve. ...got to about 135 internal, and give her an end slice. .. the rest of you will enjoy the rest of it just fine. . . .[p]btw. ..cowlick is an excellent choice for prime rib .. .and those roasts with the bones cut off then tied back on work really nice.. ...let us know how it turns out. . ..

• Btown Egger
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Sounds good, I will try this weekend cooking to 135 internal let it rest and see how it comes out. Certainly don't want to overcook it.[p]I also figured I could put some individual slices back on the fire if someone prefers it more well done. [p]Looks like it will finally warm up this weekend to a balmy 35.[p]Thanks for all the advice.
  • Nessmuk,[p]I have been thinking of trying the low and slow for prime rib because I want as much pink as possible. Sounds like you have done this many times with success, but I have never done it. I'd hate to screw up $135 of beef. Might have to go back to thinking BBQ was hotdogs on a hibachi if I did that. [p]Is that 250 dome temp or at the grid? What about a smaller -- say 5 pounder-- roast? How long do you think that would take? In previous posts, at least one person would sear after the low and slow to "perk up the meat" shortly before serving. Have you tried this? What do you think? [p]Thanks, [p]Ed
  • billyg
    billyg Posts: 315
    Options
    Hi Brown Egger
    Just did a small one (bone in) and did it indirect @ 275 until I got 130-135 internal temp. Took it off, tented it and opened up the vents on the (took the drip pan and platesetter out). In about 15-20 min it was 600 plus and I put the roast back on for the sear (3-4 min a side) It really doesn't cook the inside any more and it came out perfect deep pink when cut.
    This was the first time that I seared it last, but I found that the egg is not going to let anything dry out and when it is not seared it accepts the smoke better. There have been a few postings about this method, it's not by any means an original idea. You can find them in the archives under Prime Rib
    bill
  • T-47
    T-47 Posts: 84
    Options
    I followed this recipe
    http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/ribroast1.html
    I have done it several times and it is always a hit. I did a 14 Pound Boneless Prime rib...it just fit on my large BGE
    P1010004.jpg

I was surprised, the only thing I changed was to cook at a constant 375 (inderect), I was looking for an internal temp of 115. It only tood 2 hours and 45 minutes. It came out awesome. Since it finished early I foiled, wrapped in a towel and put in a cooler for 1 hour prior to serving. It was still nice and rare.

P1010001A.jpg
  • Nessmuk
    Nessmuk Posts: 251
    Options
    Edintx,
    I always set a polder @ grid level & adjust the temp for that location. I record the temps each hour along with the product temps. [p]There was a 50 degree difference in the 2 reading during the cook of the Thanksgiving turkey. I ignore the dome temp as I am not cooking up there. Those who stack their products treat it differently.[p]Great idea to re-sear. I always learn a new technique from the foum.[p]The smaller rib probably won't change the time much. With a holding time of 2 hours that gives you alot of flexibility.[p]I wrap with film 905. Sam's Club carries it. Most BBQ Contestant Teams use it. There are other similar products.
    Ask your meat or deli department in your food store.[p]Let us know who the technique & product turned out.

• Smoked Signals
    Options
    searing_PR.jpg
    <p />Btown Egger,
    I can't imagine trying to turn and sear a 14 bone roast ... I'm doing a 5 bone for Christmas this year. I may use Cowlick or something else. Anyway, this picture is a 3 bone rib roast that turned out perfect. Sorry the pic is a little out of focus ... probably had a tear in my eye looking at the slab of beef.[p]Doug

• Smoked Signals,
    Could you please send me instructions for that cook?[p]Rob

• Rib-Rob
    Options
    Nessmuk,
    Could you expand a little on your use of the "905 film" and what the BBQ teams you have seen use it for? I have some 905c from Sam's that is kind of like saran wrap. Thanks, Rob

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Btown Egger,
    The last one I did, I pulled it off at 125. I left the probe in while it rested in a loose foil tent. The temp finished climbing at 140 and the roast was good but a little too well done. -RP

• Smoked Signals
    Options
    Pete,
    I followed Max's cook ... cooked indirect @ 275 (on my large) until 123 internal. Then seared it at 550+ in my medium for a crispy exterior and medium well outer pieces. Inside was perfect medium rare. Be sure to let it rest so all the juices redistribute and the temperature will also climb up to about 130. I think I let mine rest about 20 minutes. [p]Seriously check out Mad Max's cook on the Naked Whiz's web site. Its right on.[p]Doug[p]

• Smoked Signals,
    Thanks for the help.[p]Rob

• Btown Egger
    Options
    AZRP,
    Wow, I wouldn't have expected it to climb another 15 degrees after it was pulled.[p]I will post pics this Sunday and keep track of temps it was cooked at.[p]Thanks again for all the advice. [p]I didn't get to do a turkey for Thanksgiving since it was at a non-eggers house. So now it's my turn to cook for Christmas.

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Btown Egger,
    Yeah, that kinda blew me away too. I was expecting 10 not 15. I think I'm going to make it a habit to leave the probe in after pulling off the grill, just to get a better idea of when to pull it. -RP