Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime rib on the small?

Options
Hoov
Hoov Posts: 264
Hey there everyone,

I recently added a small to accompany my large egg at home, but am going camping soon and planning to take the small with me.

I will be cooking for 12, so I was planning on some sort of big meat/smoke cook. I think a rib roast might be a good/crowd-pleasing idea, but I've never seen anyone showing pics on a small for this cook. Anyone done this? If so, how large of a roast did you cook? Bone in or out on the small egg would fit better? Should I take the large or maybe cook something else?

I'd appreciate any input! Thanks!
- Proud owner of a Large BGE
- Norman, OK

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Hoov‌
    Wish I could help brother but I have the large egg. I will say this though, prime rib off of the egg is outstanding to say the least. I myself prefer bone in but boneless is excellent just the same. Bone in or boneless is simply a matter of preference and sometimes availability. Can't go wrong with either to be honest. My guess is that you can find one to fit on your small. Maybe some small owners can offer more on this matter. Good luck my friend and enjoy your trip.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    @SGH what do you use your small weber sear grate for if you dont have a small egg?

Little Rock, AR

• SGH
    Options
    @Biggreenpharmacist‌
    This my friend. I sear steaks and chops with it on my large egg by using a spider. Also for fish and shrimp.imageimageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    This was 7.14 lbs bone in and I think there may have been room for a little more.

photo IMG_0403_zps837451e3.jpg
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Hoov
    Options
    @R2Egg2Q‌

That looks great, could I feed 12 with a roast that size?

Thanks again for all the comments!
    - Norman, OK
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    If you buy  one with the bone  in you could de bone it your self and cook the ribs low and slow and this way you can get two meals out of your purchases 
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • SGH
    Options
    @Hoov‌
    Sorry that I hijacked on your thread my friend. Just for reference I can easily eat 32 ounces of steak if I take a notion. That being said I think a few folks will come up short if you are feeding 12. You have to take into account what kind of eaters that you are feeding. Are they carnivores or nibblers? If they are nibblers you may be ok. If they are men of large appetite that's a different story for sure.

Status- Standing by.

• Hoov
    Options
    @SGH‌
    No worries, I liked seeing your sear set up. You have a good point, I think I can eat a lb of steak. There are 6 men and 6 women, so a few nibblers
    - Norman, OK
  • SGH
    Options
    @Hoov‌
    Thank you my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    Have a look at this... http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/prime_rib_roast.html
    I bet you could purchase a large Roast, tie it up before you leave, as shown, get it on your small & amaze your friends!

XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • Hoov
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I'll give the butcher a call tomorrow and see if I can get this rolling before next weekend's trip.
    - Norman, OK
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Another thought- you can do something that cooks fast- ie skirt steak and do multiple rounds
    Greensboro, NC
  • Hoov
    Options
    True, I'm kinda worried that I won't be able to fit a large enough roast on the small (12 people!)
    - Norman, OK
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Look at some of the posts from @cazzy. He has fed a crowd on his Small.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Hoov said:

@R2Egg2Q‌

That looks great, could I feed 12 with a roast that size?

Thanks again for all the comments!

Feeding 12 with a roast this size would be a stretch unless you had a second cooker with other items / sides to help fill up folks. Mine was 7+ lbs including the weight of the bones. I'd look for bigger and go boneless to maximize space. Another possibility would be to have a quick cook item you can grill while the roast rests. To give you more room, Otherwise you may need to get creative in finding ways to pack more food in with two tiers.

Here's a getaway cook (for 6 adults) I did on my Small where I used a "potato setter" as a way to cook a potatoes with tri-tip and paired a fast cook with a slower cook:
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1152622/small-egg-weekend-getaway

A cheap lightweight second cooker would open up other options and allow you to cook for more people.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I know the bone in would have more flavor, but I would think you would get more meat with a boneless one. I feed 12 pretty good eaters with an 8 pound beef tenderloin and had about a 1.5-2 pounds left, but I cooked it on my XL. That's about 1/2 pound a person at least. You might be able to get 2 4 pounders side by side. image
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I think I would lean towards a boneless roast so you can fit more meat.  You might consider two smaller roasts perhaps stand them vertically if you need to feed 12.  

One other suggestion is to do prime rib sammiches.  Slice the meat thin and serve it on some crusty bread with some horseradish sauce.  It will go further this way.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Hoov
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions! The plan is to smoke a pork butt the day before and serve it reheated as a backup meat plus the biggest boneless rib roast I can get on the small (7 lbs?) I plan on buying with bones and cutting them off myself.

I appreciate all the suggestions, thanks everyone!
    - Norman, OK