Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Flat Advice

Options
First one tomorrow in LBGE

Fat cap-- up or down
Rub on night before or minutes before?
Rub on both sides including fat cap?
Inject? If so the night before or minutes before ?
Can it be done at 275?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Search for the "How I do it" by Travis method-the original thread is close by.  His recipe calls for a packer but word has it that it is just what a flat needs.  Takes all the challenges out of trying to hit an extra base hit.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Crispix49
    Crispix49 Posts: 191
    Options
    Larrymac said:
    First one tomorrow in LBGE Fat cap-- up or down Rub on night before or minutes before? Rub on both sides including fat cap? Inject? If so the night before or minutes before ? Can it be done at 275?

You may already have her on, but I don't think it makes a difference if fact cap is up or down or its rubbed the night before or right before. I have never injected a brisket; 250-300 should be fine. I did a flat at 300 that was very good.
    Atlanta suburbs
    Large & Mini owner
    UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    best to have flat at least 6 or so pounds,

- I do fat cap down. trim fat cap to 1/8+" or so thick
    - I rub before putting on the cooker, wet with Worcestershire prior to rub. rub to early and salt in rub can screw with the meat's liquid content.
    - I put rub on the fat cap, just not much
    - 275 might be a little high, 235 - 250 mo' betta
    - foil if looking like it's drying out, if foil, somewhere in the stall or coming out of stall
    - put in cooler to mellow for about one hour, longer and the flat can dry out.
    - slice right at serving, slice against the grain in 1/4 or so thickness

t

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.