Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Short Ribs -- what kind of cut is this?

Options
I just went to my local meat purveyor to get some short ribs for the world cup finale tomorrow. I've never done them before and the butcher was really nice and cut up a rack and let me pick the ribs. But they look to be cut through the middle, is this flanken style? Did I mess up not saying I wanted a full rack of short ribs?imageimageimage
Steve
Outside of Appleton, WI - MBGE, LBGE

Comments

• onelikearock
    onelikearock Posts: 115
    Options
    Looks like boneless beef ribs.
    Chesapeake, VA
  • stevethegreat
    Options
    Well I didn't take a pic of it but they have bones going through them
    Steve
  • thailandjohn
    thailandjohn Posts: 952
    Options
    Here is the way I do my short ribs......I do the same for boneless or bone in BARBECUE: SHORT RIBS ACTIVE TIME: 30 minutes TOTAL TIME: 5 hours SPECIAL EQUIPMENT: Smoker or Grill Ingredients For the rub 3 tablespoon Kosher salt 2 tablespoons black pepper 2 tablespoons white pepper 1 tablespoon paprika 2 teaspoon garlic powder 8 full short ribs, cut into individual ribs 1 cup apple juice in spray bottle 3-4 chunks of a medium smoking wood, such as oak or hickory Type of fire: Indirect Grill heat: Low Procedures 1 In a small bowl combine black pepper, white pepper, salt, paprika, and garlic powder to make the rub. Season ribs all over liberally with the rub. 2 Fire up smoker or grill to 225°F, adding chunks of smoking wood chunks when at temperature. When the wood is ignited and producing smoke, place the ribs in the smoker or grill, meat side up, and smoke until ribs reach 180 degrees on an instant read thermometer inserted into the middle of the meat, about 4 to 5 hours. Spray ribs with apple juice about every hour during cooking. 3 Remove ribs from smoker, let rest for 10 minutes, then serve.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    You have short ribs and I would bet there is a bone on the bottom of the meat side.  You will enjoy them (better than any pork ribs IMO).  Low&slow (around 250*F on the dome) for 3 hours or so, then decision point-you can go another 1.5-2 hours on the grid til done.  Or you can foil for around an hour or so, then back on the grid for 20-30 mins.  "When is done?"-I use the good 'ol toothpick test-probe the thickest meat with no resistance either direction and you are there.  Seasoning-great with S&P or Montreal Streak seasoning.  Enjoy!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • stevethegreat
    Options
    Thanks @lousubcap‌ and @thailandjohn‌
    I already put some Mickey's rub on them. I was going to go three hours indirect at 250 (I think I have apple, mesquite, and pecan wood, thoughts on which?), then foil with some beef broth and beer for 2 more hours. Then I was going to finish them off on my half moon CI griddle to crisp them a bit.
    Steve
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    @stevethegreat-most eggcellent plan but be forewarned, depending on how they cook you may find them "too loose" for the crisping phase.  No worries-great eats await!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • stevethegreat
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up. I will wing that part when I get there.
    Steve
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    There are 2 (maybe 3) different kinds of beef short ribs. I've never been quite able to tell the difference by looking. I've never seen a whole "rack" for sale. Flanken cut is a thin slice across several bones.

All of them taste good. My experience matches the standard descriptiona. If the short ribs are from the 4 bones called plate short ribs, they will be very tender from a straight low and slow. If they are from the portion call chuck short ribs, they will be more flavorful, but probably will need to be foiled.

Try slicing and taking a bite at around 3 hours. If there is some really chewy stuff, get the foil out.

Part of the reason for flanken cut is so the tougher chuck portion doesn't need to cook so long to be tender.
  • stevethegreat
    Options
    @gdenby‌ thanks. Lots of good info
    Steve
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    gdenby said:
    There are 2 (maybe 3) different kinds of beef short ribs. I've never been quite able to tell the difference by looking. I've never seen a whole "rack" for sale. Flanken cut is a thin slice across several bones.

All of them taste good. My experience matches the standard descriptiona. If the short ribs are from the 4 bones called plate short ribs, they will be very tender from a straight low and slow. If they are from the portion call chuck short ribs, they will be more flavorful, but probably will need to be foiled.

Try slicing and taking a bite at around 3 hours. If there is some really chewy stuff, get the foil out.

Part of the reason for flanken cut is so the tougher chuck portion doesn't need to cook so long to be tender.
    Plate ribs have 3 bones and are from the Plate part of the cow.  Short RIbs have 4 bones and are from the Chuck section of the cow.  I prefer them uncut since I think they cook much better when whole.

Here is a post of a cook with Plate RIbs:
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1161966/beef-plate-ribs

I've also cooked whole chuck ribs which are cheaper and less fatty than plate ribs.  They take a little longer but are also excellent.

Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • stevethegreat
    Options
    @Shiff‌ so I got beef chuck short ribs? Btw your plate rib cook looks amazing! I think I was expecting something more like that when getting short ribs. So maybe next time I ask for plate ribs
    Steve
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options

@Shiff‌ so I got beef chuck short ribs? Btw your plate rib cook looks amazing! I think I was expecting something more like that when getting short ribs. So maybe next time I ask for plate ribs
    Chuck ribs can be cooked just like plate ribs but they usually take a little longer since they are tougher.  I think the secret to the cook is not to cut them up but cook them whole.  My wife prefers the Chuck Ribs since they are less fatty.  I think the flavor of the Plate Ribs is better, but they do cost a lot more.

I buy mine at Restaurant Depot where there is no problem getting the whole ribs.  If you order from a butcher and want them left whole, they might still cut them since that is the way they prepare them for the meat coolers in the store.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    There are plate short ribs (3 bone) and beef chuck ribs (4 bones). Yall seem to be combining the names...which is very common.

The cut you want is plate short ribs because the fat is much more consistent across the cut. Beef chuck ribs are good, but it will usually only yield 2 usable ribs...3 if you're lucky.

My local grocery store sells chucks and charges the short rib premium.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • stevethegreat
    Options
    Here are some follow up pics, very moist and tasty: imageimage
    Steve
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Those look killer!!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • stevethegreat
    Options
    Thanks @cazzy‌, I will definitely cook them again
    Steve