Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Charcoal vs

I have read all the Naked Whiz info on Lump but still noticed something not addressed.

I understand BGE is supposed to really be Royal Oak but if that is true why does BGE Lump say its Organic Lump & Royal Oak doesn't say Organic?

New Owner XL BGE 07/03/2014
Middle, TN

Comments

• Marketing? I would have to look at my bags but does it say anything like no chemicals added?
    Steve
    Outside of Appleton, WI - MBGE, LBGE
  • mcgyver210
    mcgyver210 Posts: 67
    Marketing? I would have to look at my bags but does it say anything like no chemicals added?
    stevethegreat

Yes they both say that but the major marketing difference seems to be BGE is using the specific term of Organic.
    Middle, TN
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Royal Oak bags say All Natural. Not sure how lump could be anything other than organic all natural. Its charred wood. I guess manufacturers could add something to lump, but that would be extra $$$, so why bother.

If its lump its organic all natural. Which one they use is just marketing. When it comes to briquettes, different story.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • JHands
    JHands Posts: 78
    The term "organic" appeals to a certain demographic of people.
  • I do try and avoid all of that synthetic wood charcoal.
    Steve
    Outside of Appleton, WI - MBGE, LBGE
  • mcgyver210
    Organic does have a true meaning but I really thought in this case it is more for marketing just curious  as to why no one else is using it.

I have both BGE Organic & Royal Oak USA & there doesn't seem to be any noticable differences IMO so far
    Middle, TN
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Order some Rockwood and Ozark Oak from Www.firecraft.com and you'll see a vast improvement in lump performance. $100 order gets u free shipping...

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    hapster said:
    Order some Rockwood and Ozark Oak from Www.firecraft.com and you'll see a vast improvement in lump performance. $100 order gets u free shipping...

+1. Just started using OO and about to try Rockwood. From Firecraft.
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    +1 for Rockwood. Love the stuff. Neutral, little ash, responds to heat control. Hard to beat. Never tried OO but look forward to the prospect.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684

The regulations for using the word "Organic" are strict when it comes to food, clothing, or body care products.  Past those, you can throw that word around all you want--there are no regulations, and no one to prove you wrong.  It's all about how the product was farmed (use of fertilizers, hormones, pesticides, etc.)  The trees that charcoal come from are not farmed, they're harvested from the forest.  There's a 99.99% chance they just grew naturally and have never had a chemical touch them, but they're all 50-100 yrs old, so who knows.

Lump charcoal is "organic" in a sense..........but no more than the dump truck load of gravel I just bought for my road or the 3 yards of top soil for my garden. 

• mcgyver210
    edited July 2014

The regulations for using the word "Organic" are strict when it comes to food, clothing, or body care products.  Past those, you can throw that word around all you want--there are no regulations, and no one to prove you wrong.  It's all about how the product was farmed (use of fertilizers, hormones, pesticides, etc.)  The trees that charcoal come from are not farmed, they're harvested from the forest.  There's a 99.99% chance they just grew naturally and have never had a chemical touch them, but they're all 50-100 yrs old, so who knows.

Lump charcoal is "organic" in a sense..........but no more than the dump truck load of gravel I just bought for my road or the 3 yards of top soil for my garden. 

That is exactly what I was thinking but Imo it makes BGE look like they are being a little deceptive with marketing. Which is puzzling since they have such a strong market share already.

Oh well I used Royal oak last two cooks & saw no real difference accept slightly easier heat control. Although this could have been me getting better at starting the egg up.

Middle, TN