Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri tip

Options
I just bought a 3lb tri tip. Any tips on cooking it?

Comments

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I've done everything from just S&P and on the Egg, to marinading it for 24 hours and grilling.  As long as you don't overcook it and remember to slice against the grain, it'll turn out wonderful.  

You have some good eats in your future.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Rplatt2
    Rplatt2 Posts: 30
    Options
    Thanks are you in Ciny? My son is at Xavier GO CAVS
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Yes, in Cincy.  Xavier is a wonderful school.  I went to their crosstown rival UC.

Great news that Lebron is coming home.  Great decision.

Remember to post pics of that tri tip!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    S&P and garlic. Egg to medium rare(sear or reverse sear). Keep it simple and enjoy the succulentness of the meat.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    They don't sell tri tips in Michigan, but I heard Trader Joes had them. I went to the one by my Mom's house and found a few packs of beef that were marked as tri-tip that weigh just over a pound each. I remember when small cuts of beef used to be called a steak.
    Flint, Michigan
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I have usually followed this recipe from http://eggsbythebay.com/Recipes.html

I have tried it once with a reverse sear as well (I just used the basting sauce while the meat rested). 

Santa Maria Style Tri-tip
    Rich Miller aka Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay, CA

2 (3 pound) tri-tip roasts
    Basting Sauce, recipe follows
    Seasoning Salt Mixture: recipe follows

Seasoning Salt Mixture:
    2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
    2 teaspoons white pepper
    2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    4 tablespoons granulated garlic
    2 tablespoons salt

Mix together all ingredients in a small bowl

Basting Sauce:
    ½ cup red wine vinegar
    ½ cup garlic-infused vegetable oil

Whisk together vinegar and oil in a small bowl.

Coat both sides of the tri-tip roasts with the seasoning mixture, rubbing it in as you would a dry rub. Let the seasoned tri-tip rest for at least 30 minutes at room temperature. Sear each side of the tri-tip at 600 to 700 degrees for 3 to 4 minutes each. Remove seared tri-tip from the BGE, cover it with foil and let it rest while bringing the BGE temperature down to 350 to 400 degrees. During this cool down period I usually toss in a couple of oak chunks. Put tri-tip back in the BGE and cook to an internal temperature of 126 degrees for medium rare, basting with the sauce every 5 to 10 minutes. Remove tri-tip from the BGE, cover it with foil and let it rest 15 minutes. Cut into ½” slices against the grain.

This recipe is from Foodnetwork.com’s website. It is titled “Santa Maria Style BBQ” Oakwood Grilled Tri-tip. It is as close to authentic Santa Maria tri-tip as I have been able to find.

I usually cook this on a Large BGE and find it take 1 hour and 10 minutes from the time I strike the match to taking the tri-tip out of the BGE.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    They don't sell tri tips in Michigan, but I heard Trader Joes had them. I went to the one by my Mom's house and found a few packs of beef that were marked as tri-tip that weigh just over a pound each. I remember when small cuts of beef used to be called a steak.
    Check the butchers in your area. Tri Tips can be ordered by most any store that cares about you as a customer.  I had a local store here that ordered a case and sold me about 1/4 of it and put the rest in their cooler case.  They sold well and now the store carries it from time to time.  They have it on sale this week for $6.99/pound.  Each piece is a triangle shape and weighs about 1-3 pounds.  Some stores have been known to cut it up and sell it in smaller pieces, thus ruining the piece of meat.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Yeah, going to the butcher is what I figured.  I didn't know they are as small as 1-3 lbs.  The ones I saw at Trader Joes were cuts from a tri-tip, not the whole roast.  Thanks buddy! 
    Flint, Michigan
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options

Rplatt2

Tri Tips are easy just don't overcook. I like to cook them at about 250/275 since they are not a tender cut. I'd pull it @ about 130/135.   I don't reverse sear since cooking at a lower temp it will have a nice bark.  One trick is cut it as thin as you can. You'll do fine.

XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Into the Trés Booblay, 135ºF, 4 to 6 hours. S&P,  rosemary, Penzey's Chicago Steak Spice. Pull and quick sear on the flat top or CI. Slice thin across the grain. 

Tri tips have two distinct muscles, easy to carve if you separate the smaller triangle piece from the more elongated larger piece. 

Sometimes called bottom sirloin. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    Options
    I saw a large piece of meat at Costco labeled as tri tip, but it was as large as the 13# brisket I bought.
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    The cryovac packages of tri-tip at Costco contain multiple pieces of tri-tip, not just one roast.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • morrobayrich
    morrobayrich Posts: 104
    Options
    The average tri-tip weighs 2.5 lbs.
    Morro Bay, CA