Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Missouri Style Pork Steak

Options
TTC
TTC Posts: 1,035

22 years ago I met SWMBO in the freshman quad at SMU, and we've been together ever since. She is from Jefferson City, MO -- from a large family with a STRONG German heritage.

When I first visited Jeff City her family cooked Pork Steak, a bone in shoulder steak that this kid from Middle Tennessee was confused by (but he dared not admit it). All I ever knew of shoulder was pulled pork but as soon as I ate this preparation I immediately adopted it.

Seasoned with Tony Chachere's and Dizzy Dust.

Cooked direct at 350-375 nice and easy on the outskirts of the fire, flipped often, basted with sauce (this time used Rendevous sauce cut with cider vinegar) till they get to 180ish - take your time so the connective tissue has time to break down.  

Served tonight with a tomato salad with various cheeses, basil, oil, and vinegar.  

Yum.

XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer

Comments

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    How do you get this cut? Is it simply a shoulder cut into steaks?
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    Ausgezeichnet!

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• TTC
    Options

It is a bone in shoulder steak, so yes @hapsterit is a shoulder cut into steaks 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick. My Publix started putting them out recently, but I have had them cut special in the past.

Ikon pass 

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I have seen them from time to time but didn't know how to cook them until now. I always cooked them like pork chops and never liked them. Obviously I wasn't cooking them long enough.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • hapster
    Options
    TTC said:

It is a bone in shoulder steak, so yes @hapsterit is a shoulder cut into steaks 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick. My Publix started putting them out recently, but I have had them cut special in the past.

Thanks! There is a place near here that I could probably request the same
  • TTC
    Options

@jrwhitee, the very first time I saw them cooked I kept thinking to myself, " these things are going to taste like shoe leather, these fools are way overcooking them"

But as long as you keep the heat easy and don't burn the crud out of them they come out tender and delicious.

Ikon pass 

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    @TTC - those look fantastic!

Yes @hapster, it's just a shoulder cut into steaks about 1/2" thick. I had a hog butchered last fall and I ordered some pork steaks not realizing that they would cut the whole shoulder into them. They are a very flavorful cut. 

I made some a few weeks ago and cooked at 300 until about 180 internal and then sauced just like @TTC. Brought back some old memories for me too as I used to live in a small town in Missouri about 18-19 years ago. We used to grill them up on Thursday nights when we got together to paint the lines on the high school football field. Remove the bone and slap 'em between two slices of white bread and make a sammich!
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    minniemoh said:
    @TTC - those look fantastic!

Yes @hapster, it's just a shoulder cut into steaks about 1/2" thick. I had a hog butchered last fall and I ordered some pork steaks not realizing that they would cut the whole shoulder into them. They are a very flavorful cut. 

I made some a few weeks ago and cooked at 300 until about 180 internal and then sauced just like @TTC. Brought back some old memories for me too as I used to live in a small town in Missouri about 18-19 years ago. We used to grill them up on Thursday nights when we got together to paint the lines on the high school football field. Remove the bone and slap 'em between two slices of white bread and make a sammich!

OK...your post finally brought me out of the shadows...what small town in MO? My wife and I grew up in Centralia, Mo located centrally between, Columbia, Mexico and Moberly. That was back in the 50's and early 60's. Most posts I ever see about these thin pork steaks also include use of "Mauls BBQ" sauce. Did you forget to mention that, or did you just want to forget that?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Options
    Small towns in Mo you say  :)   I was born in Monett and raised in Cassville before going to Springfield
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • ChrisgrillsSTLMO
    Options
    Ok, this clinches it, gonna do this soon. My SWMBO if from Jackson, MO and every time we visited her clan her uncle did amazing pork steaks that were awesome. Thanks for adjusting this for the Egg...

Cheers,

Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn
  • RRP
    Options
    Ok, this clinches it, gonna do this soon. My SWMBO if from Jackson, MO and every time we visited her clan her uncle did amazing pork steaks that were awesome. Thanks for adjusting this for the Egg...

Cheers,

Jackson, MO huh? that's down by Cape G as I recall...my wife's grand parents lived in the tiny burg of Oran below Cape G. Ever hear of "throwed rolls"?
  • Hankyorke
    Hankyorke Posts: 146
    Options
    RRP said:

Most posts I ever see about these thin pork steaks also include use of "Mauls BBQ" sauce.

"You've gotta Maul it..." I can still sing the jingle and I haven't lived in StL for 17 years. That sauce is gross IMO.

LBGE

BTFU!

• RRP
    Options
    Hankyorke said:
    Most posts I ever see about these thin pork steaks also include use of "Mauls BBQ" sauce.
    "You've gotta Maul it..." I can still sing the jingle and I haven't lived in StL for 17 years. That sauce is gross IMO.

Gross? LOL! You, sir, are being too kind! I just mentioned it in passing...
  • ChrisgrillsSTLMO
    Options
    RRP said:

Cheers,

Jackson, MO huh? that's down by Cape G as I recall...my wife's grand parents lived in the tiny burg of Oran below Cape G. Ever hear of "throwed rolls"?
    Ahhh, Lamberts, good times!!! I still remember my first taste of fried okra. My wife knows of Oran, but I have never had the pleasure.

Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn
  • RRP
    edited July 2014
    Options

Yes Lamberts, what a trip down memory lane! My wife' s GM was a graduate of LSU in 1928 which made her unique in itself being a female college graduate. She taught high school Home Economics for years and then married. Even though she was married she was known as Miss Edna from Oran, Mo and taught for nearly 40 years. What a lady...!
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    edited July 2014
    Options
    RRP said:

Cheers,

Mmmmm I love Lamberts Cafe.  There is one in Ozark just south of Springfield

2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • minniemoh
    Options
    @RRP - I spent a year living in Bowling Green when I taught in the school system there. Never used Maul's cuz one of the guys had his own family secret sauce recipe. 
    eggAddict from MN!
  • RRP
    Options
    minniemoh said:
    @RRP - I spent a year living in Bowling Green when I taught in the school system there. Never used Maul's cuz one of the guys had his own family secret sauce recipe. 
    Ah - Bowling Green, huh? Not too far away from Perry, MO birthplace of Blue's Hog sauce!
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    @hapster - you have a Wegmans near you I think, this is a recipe from a card they hand out in the stores. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • hapster
    Options
    @hapster - you have a Wegmans near you I think, this is a recipe from a card they hand out in the stores. 

Thanks! I'll check it out over the weekend and see if they have them or can cut them
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Options
    The last few times I have cooked Pork Steaks ,I have taken a little different route, Low and slow ! Put in the platesetter (legs up) ,settle temp around 250F, put on rubbed and seasoned (garlic pepper) Pork Steaks, let them cook a couple of hours. Pull from egg and sauce  and place in an aluminum steamer pan and cover with foil, place pan of steaks in the egg for another hour or so. Remove from steamer pan and place back on the egg to firm up the sauce. Use caution when transferring back to egg as the steaks are usually fall apart tender. Enjoy !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • minniemoh
    Options
    @calracefan - that sounds fantastic too! I would try it on my next batch but my deep freezer died 10 days ago and I lost about 8 packages. Guess I need to buy another hog. 
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    This is one of the things I love about this site- never heard of these but they look and sound great. Will definately have to try- thanks for sharing
    Greensboro, NC
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Options
    Forgot to mention a little apple wood chunks for some smoke flavor. Also I suppose wrapping in aluminum foil would work if you don't have steamer pans.
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO