Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cleaning the plate setter

Options
What does it take to clean the plate setter? For the second time on pizza day in staring at tons of smoke coming out of the xlbge. In at 600 dome and going on 20 minutes. This is driving me nuts. I didn't think it would take this long. Plus it didn't look so bad. Sorry for the vent but I'm frustrated.
XL egg owner, home brewer, jogger, coffee roaster, gamer 

Comments

• KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options
    Occasionally after a low and slow or some other cook when I'm using it, after I'm done, I will open everything up and go nuclear for a little while and it burns everything off.  Some cover theirs with foil, but I never have. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Clean burn and then start foiling like I do. Otherwise you just need to accept what is bothering you! I mean foiling ends the madness, so there are your options.LOL
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Patience grasshopper. =D>
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    I almost always use a drip pan when using the placesetter. Line it with foil for easy cleaning

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    I'm a foil person as well.... It's just easier IMHO.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I bought the platesetter when I bought my egg. Shortly thereafter I bought the AR, woo, and stone.  This allows me to use my platesetter for low and slows, and I only use the AR stone for pizza cooks.

I ruined my first pizza cooking it with the platesetter.  I don't think even a nuclear burn would clean my platesetter.  It's pretty dirty and must be saturated with grease.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    As @RRP mentioned, foiling the plate setter or using drip pans that cover the entirety of the plate setter is the solution.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    YEMTrey said:

I bought the platesetter when I bought my egg. Shortly thereafter I bought the AR, woo, and stone.  This allows me to use my platesetter for low and slows, and I only use the AR stone for pizza cooks.

I ruined my first pizza cooking it with the platesetter.  I don't think even a nuclear burn would clean my platesetter.  It's pretty dirty and must be saturated with grease.

Clean burn will make it look like new.

Little Rock, AR

• mcgyver210
    mcgyver210 Posts: 67
    Options
    Clean burn will make it look like new.
    Biggreenpharmacist Doesn't a Clean burn have the potential to damage the Gasket since that would be above its heat rating?
    New Owner XL BGE 07/03/2014
    Middle, TN
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    It may not just be the plate setter. That smoke could be a combination of other elements - Lump (new or old or a combination of both), fat, condensation and so on. Let the egg establish the set temperature and burn off till sweet, slightly blue wisps of smoke appear. Don't worry what the plate setter looks like - OK if you want to foil it but I think that's unnecessary. 
    I've had my egg for two years and haven't done a "clean burn " yet.
    The only thing in setting up a cook in the first place is time and patience, both of which will be handsomely rewarded.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    edited July 2014
    Options
    @pretzelb‌ try letting the flames hit both sides of the PS. Do a clean burn with legs up and legs down.

I just had a mishap with my PS the other day. I was baking a pie and my wife tells me something smells like it's burning. I jumped up to check on the LBGE thinking there's no way that pie was burning. I usually use a drip pan for everything to keep the PS clean. Well..didn't think to use a drip pan under the pie. You got it, pie was bubbling goo all over the PS.

Good news was the pie didn't burn. Bad news was the bubbling strawberry rhubarb filling candyized on the PS. What a mess.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Redskull
    Redskull Posts: 55
    Options
    I to do not foil, I use drip pans for low & slow.  After a cook, I turn the plate setter over, open up lower vent, place my 18 volt fan in front of the vent, remove the daisy wheel and let it get up to 600 degrees.  it all works like a self cleaning oven.  Let it cook off for awhile, 20 minutes or so.  I then flip the plate setter back over & what ever charred residue that is left, I brush off with a wire brush.  If you think about it, even a wood fired pizza oven ceramic base isn't foiled.  Good luck...
    MESQUITE, TEXAS - LBGE, Tejas Smoker, Circle-J 24" open pit grill, indoor & outdoor cooking, beer, camping, more beer & cooking...
  • SpartanPride
    SpartanPride Posts: 161
    Options
    Is there a problem with a dirty plate setter? Mine is pretty dirty but I just roll with it. Could it have an adverse impact on cooks?
  • Redskull
    Redskull Posts: 55
    Options
    It's not dirty, it's just ash, FLAVA!
    MESQUITE, TEXAS - LBGE, Tejas Smoker, Circle-J 24" open pit grill, indoor & outdoor cooking, beer, camping, more beer & cooking...
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    Is there a problem with a dirty plate setter? Mine is pretty dirty but I just roll with it.

I'm with you. Can't believe such concern for a soiled plate setter
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • RRP
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Hibby said:
    Is there a problem with a dirty plate setter? Mine is pretty dirty but I just roll with it.

I'm with you. Can't believe such concern for a soiled plate setter

LOL - I don't think of myself as a wuss, and I doubt that others here who have also replied about cleaning or protecting their PS are any different. Personally I have seen some really gross PS and have passed eating food grilled using them. I say if you can take a firm putty knife and start peeling a ribbon of crud then your PS is adding a yucky taste to your cooks. But you are welcome to disagree with me as I too was stating my opinion.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    This reminds me of the first time I made a pizza in my oven with an actual pizza stone.  I preheated it at 500 degrees for a full half-hour, then snapped my delicious-looking pizza onto the stone.

Or, at least, I tried.

This was before I realized it was almost impossible to get a clean release of a pie from a metal peel, without overly flouring it or using parchment.  The sauce, pepperoni, onions, and two kinds of cheese landed perfectly on the hot stone; the dough sat there on the metal peel, mocking me.  
    There was only one thing to do.  Turn off the oven, open all the windows, and drive to Burger King for supper.  
    Didn't know what a "clean burn" was in those days, and my oven wouldn't go over 500 anyway.  I cleaned my pizza stone with... a belt sander!   It worked well, although I wouldn't want to do it too often.  
    :D

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    I agree with RRP. If your burning slop on the PS your ultimately surrounding your food with nastiness. Similar to starting to cook before the VOC's burn off. It's going to impose that acrid taste in your food. I realize a PS is going to get discolored, but it should not be smoking from burnt drippings.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I am in small minority that thinks if you run your egg at 600-650 for 1 1/2hrs or so it is clean enough with no need to go nuclear After the run at 650 all the funk will be burned off. You can lightly scrub the dome with wadded up foil to help get rid of the crud but a totally white egg is way overrated and will be black the next time you cook. What's the point??

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • ziggysmiles
    Options
    Haven't opened my PS Box yet but is it not made of same material as a pizza stone? If so, I would think using baking soda would clean it, along with hot water and a nylon cleaning brush.
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    Botch said:
    This reminds me of the first time I made a pizza in my oven with an actual pizza stone.  I preheated it at 500 degrees for a full half-hour, then snapped my delicious-looking pizza onto the stone.

Or, at least, I tried.

This was before I realized it was almost impossible to get a clean release of a pie from a metal peel, without overly flouring it or using parchment.  The sauce, pepperoni, onions, and two kinds of cheese landed perfectly on the hot stone; the dough sat there on the metal peel, mocking me.  
    There was only one thing to do.  Turn off the oven, open all the windows, and drive to Burger King for supper.  
    Didn't know what a "clean burn" was in those days, and my oven wouldn't go over 500 anyway.  I cleaned my pizza stone with... a belt sander!   It worked well, although I wouldn't want to do it too often.  
    :D

=)) =)) =))
    OMG!! Too funny!!
    And I'm not mocking you

A Belt Sander!?!? :-j
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • RRP
    Options
    I am in small minority that thinks if you run your egg at 600-650 for 1 1/2hrs or so it is clean enough with no need to go nuclear After the run at 650 all the funk will be burned off. You can lightly scrub the dome with wadded up foil to help get rid of the crud but a totally white egg is way overrated and will be black the next time you cook. What's the point??
    No, you are correct - that will keep it clean - I never said said they should be white! Mine are stained, dark, etc, but when I'm talking about PS with a build up of crud that is from numerous cooks at lower temps, lots of grease, lots of sauce and other droppings! BTW my pizza stone is a beautiful shiny coal black and I'm darn proud and protective of it!

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    +1 clean burn & then cover in foil for easy cleanup. Works like a champ.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    @rrp - we agree that crud is bad. I actually will use a razor blade to remove gunk that hits outside of my drip pan. Never have wrapped the PS or the stone in my small. Guess I am lazy like that.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.