Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Building a new table

Options
Duanwest
Duanwest Posts: 4
edited July 2014 in EggHead Forum
So I am busy building a table using the official BGE XL plans. So far its going fine, I am almost done with screwing down the slats on top, and will then cut the round whole out.

I had a question on the 12 1/2 inch gap from the top of the table to the shelf below. It seems a little small. A lot of the photos I see only shows the top of the dome sticking out, essentially just the handle and the rest of the lid. With this 12 1/2 inch gap there would be quite a bit of the Egg sticking out the top.

Does anyone have any tips? Should I make the gap bigger so more of the egg is concealed below the top of the table?

Also, I have a granite tile. Its pretty thin, standard tile thickness. Will that be enough of a heat shield below the egg?

D
Based out of San Antonio, Texas. Grilling on a BGE - XL.

Comments

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I would also recommend a BGE Table Nest to put under it. There have been a few tables that have burned with the egg sitting right on a concrete paver. The table nest provides an air gap keeping the heat from getting to the wood. I'm not sure what to tell you about the size of the hole - my advice would be to make sure you have an inch or two of air around the egg. I need to re-do my tabletop so I have more space to keep the wood cooler.  

The picture is of a med and large in a table that was built for 2 L BGEs. I like the bigger air gap around the med and will be making that change this summer in an effort to reduce heat risk.

L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options

I would go with something at least 2" thick under your Egg or adding pavers/feet/table nest over your tile.  That seems too thin to me.

As far as your depth, from what I know, you can do the 12.5" gap plus whatever you have under your Egg to give yourself more depth/space (so 14.5" with a 2" paver), but the requirement is more for clearance for what the hinge requires to be able to open fully. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Do the table nest.  1st hand experience...I had a 1 inch air gap over a 2 inch concrete paver and it didn't end well.
  • Duanwest
    Duanwest Posts: 4
    Options
    If I buy the table nest, do I still need a paver or something underneath it or can it go directly onto the wood?

Thanks for the help so far
    Based out of San Antonio, Texas. Grilling on a BGE - XL.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited July 2014
    Options
    @Duanwest‌ You could do a small mod like this to the table nest. Which then eliminates the need for the stone below it.

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    ^^^ the eagle has landed!!!  

Cool man, I'd expect nothing less from you.
    Options
    I took two of the 12" x 12" tile, put silicone in between with a 1/4" gap. I figured the heat wouldn't go from 1 tile to the other with the gap. After my first summer, I took it apart and the wood under the tile was charred black.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig