Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dickey's BBQ

Tjcoley
Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
Just had one open up here. Haven't tried it yet, if anyone has a review let me know if it is worth going.

Comments

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Been there once in the Dallas airport, the brisket was good.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Had one open locally as well. Went once on a lark when we needed something to eat. Not too bad. Tried it again and bleh.... I had the chopped brisket and pork first time and point/flat with sausage the second. The sliced brisket was dry and needed sauce for flavor.
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Used to live in Dallas - below par chain.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Griff2w2
    Griff2w2 Posts: 53
    Had one open up in Minot. Mixed reviews and I haven't been. Seems like if you are looking for Georgia/Carolina or Texas bbq, you might be disappointed.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    it's franchise bbq, kinda says it all......

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    At one of the original Dallas stores they used to have a huge block of Cheddar Cheese that you could slice off as much as you wanted... that was good.

As other's said, it's a chain and you get what you would expect to get. It was the first place that Mrs. TOTN had fried okra though and, ever since, she's loved that stuff.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited July 2014
    Can't remember for sure but, I also think they used to have free soft-serve ice cream for dessert.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    it's a Texas staple. It's serviceable if you want BBQ but it's not going to knock your socks off. 
    Lubbock, TX
    Large BGE
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Can't remember for sure but, I also think they used to have free soft-server ice cream for dessert.
    They do at the one I have near me. Also, only one size cup for soda. No S,M, L. Just "Diabeetus".

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Can't remember for sure but, I also think they used to have free soft-server ice cream for dessert.
    They do at the one I have near me. Also, only one size cup for soda. No S,M, L. Just "Diabeetus".

I've got about 6 of those in my cupboard at home that I've collected over the years.
    It is to BBQ like Taco Bell is to Tex-mex.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    edited July 2014
    GQuiz said:
    Oh, that's not nice. Dickey's is a much better BBQ than Taco Bell is Tex-Mex
    Well, it's not Franklin Bbq. .... but it's still very good.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    edited July 2014
    It's not bad bbq and it's not the greatest bbq but will get the job done when hungry. No real complaints. Love their hot bbq sauce. Their free soft serve ice cream cones rule! Don't forget the big free pickles!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    At least Obama's not there.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • We have a few up in the NW as well.  From what I can tell, it all rides on the franchisee...  Some do a really poor job but the most recent one that opened up here is very good!  Worth a try, maybe you will get lucky and get a good franchisee. 
  • tjosborne
    tjosborne Posts: 529
    The one here isn't horrible but $50 for a family meal? No thanks I'll get my own brisket or two butts and eat for a few days.
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Back in the early 80's, the one in Plano (BEFORE they got all franchisey) was pretty damn good to anyone who wasn't a connoisseur. I was there for 2 weeks on a difficult customer situation and we found great solace eating at Dickey's four days in a row and then going to somewhere with a salad bar for one day, then repeating.....  :-)
    The Naked Whiz
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Not a fan. Very average, or below average.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • mslaw
    mslaw Posts: 241
    Several in the Jackson, Miss. area. Its not what you would do at home, but it is not bad. Stick to the pork.
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    edited July 2014

Used to be much better before it became a chain, which is to be expected.  I ate a few times at the one in Dallas off Central just north of downtown (maybe the original?) when I worked near there many years ago and it was well above average.

I have a couple near me, but I don't eat there really ever, but have gone to some events in recent years where they catered.  Not a fan of their ribs, but they do have pretty good brisket and chicken and excellent sides.  I'd give them a C-plus, but more like a A-minus as far as chains go since the bar is set much lower.        

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. Once or twice a year, our company does an employee appreciation luncheon where they cater it in. Have to drown the stuff with sauce just to choke it down. Don't know how they stay open. I think I'll skip that luncheon next year. Or bring a palte of my own brisket. LOL

Wish I had saved it, but a few years back on some forum or other,a guy dug up a restaurant review from like 1976 in Dallas trashing the place. Apparently some things don't change.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Griffin said:

I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. Once or twice a year, our company does an employee appreciation luncheon where they cater it in. Have to drown the stuff with sauce just to choke it down. Don't know how they stay open. I think I'll skip that luncheon next year. Or bring a palte of my own brisket. LOL

Wish I had saved it, but a few years back on some forum or other,a guy dug up a restaurant review from like 1976 in Dallas trashing the place. Apparently some things don't change.

The summer heat must be beating you down @Griffin. You didn't have anything nice to say about the firewire either!  ;)
    Thanks all.  Doesn't look like I'll be going there any time soon.
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    GQuiz said:
    Oh, that's not nice. Dickey's is a much better BBQ than Taco Bell is Tex-Mex

Then I'll put it a shade better than Bill Miller BBQ. Still worth eating at DFW, just real pricey.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • mombasa333
    mombasa333 Posts: 20
    Whatever you cook up will be better.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Griffin said:

The summer heat must be beating you down @Griffin. You didn't have anything nice to say about the firewire either!  ;)
    Just call 'em as I see 'em.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Grader07
    Grader07 Posts: 264
    The one where i live is nasty!!!
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
    Here's the one in Katy, TX:

I think that's @cazzy out front.  He told me it's amazing!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Boileregger
    Boileregger Posts: 614
    Run the opposite direction as fast as you can.

John Oliver (daily show) once ranked BBQ styles:

1. Texas BBQ
    2. Korean BBQ
    3. No BBQ
    4. N. Carolina BBQ

Dicky's would be even further down the list. :D