Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Cook - Mouthwatering Ribs

Options
So this is my first post, and my first cook. I got my BGE XL a week ago, and decided to try ribs as my entry into cooking on the egg. And the results were spectacular.

Firstly, I couldn't believe how the temperature just flatlines. It didn't fluctuate a single degree for hours! I use a Maverick ET-733 digital thermometer to get the temperature on the grid, not just the dome.

I cooked two racks of spare ribs, for 3 1/2 hours at 250 degrees, and then wrapped them for 45 minutes in foil. After that I turned up the temp to about 400 and basted them to caramelize the sauce. Only did this for about 20 minutes. I dont really sign up for the 3-2-1 method, I feel like the meat turn out too mushy.

I used Hickory chunks, only about 4-5 of them on the charcoal. Just enough smoke for my taste.

I also have a weber and one of those Brinkmann smokers with the firebox on the side, but have never tasted anything like what the BGE achieved. Attached some pics to show of the results. So excited to try something bigger next. Maybe a brisket?

D
Based out of San Antonio, Texas. Grilling on a BGE - XL.

Comments