Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Hot Dogs on the Egg?

mikenmar
mikenmar Posts: 32
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What are folks' favorite brands of hot dogs to put on the Egg?

I'm mostly thinking commonly-available brands, but if you just have to tout something the guy down the street from you sells, well OK then!

Comments

• 43moon
    43moon Posts: 15
    Hebrew National
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I think Nathan's Famous are my favorite. I also like Kayem's (they have them at my BJ's). People rave about Pearl's but I haven't been able to find them.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Lotta DOG talk on here about specialty franks(dogs).I am sure they are superior to national brands.Best I can get around here(affordably) is Hebrew National.Got 4 on the egg as I type this. :) 300 dome,raised direct.Will post pics later.Look for a crude Weiner post! :laugh: :blink:
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I know of only one person who has had Pearls and didn't rave about them. And he's a cop - so if it's ain't a donut, what does he know?! (Sorry Al, couldn't resist. :))

Pearls can be found in many BJ;s stores on the east coast and at some Stop & Shop groceries in the Northeast. If you get a chance to try them, you really should!

These are quarter-pounders...

4607447897_f0a263a4e4_b.jpg

4607448177_19acf7c077_b.jpg

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Burns
    Burns Posts: 7
    Dearborn Franks. Best dogs I've ever tasted anywhere, and I've pretty much lived all over the world.

http://www.dearbornsausage.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/56?osCsid=8e8005f1f3837159582ba2e9f71e19ad

Natural casing or skinless, they both rock. I bring back 10lbs of them every time I go to Michigan. They also ship.

Cheers,
    Erik
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Not your traditional hot dogs, but I love Conecuh sausage poboys, and Neuske's brats are fantastic! :laugh:
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    I am soo on board with the Conecuh. Since discovering them I have purchased dogs very few times, or maybe not at all come to think of it. On a bun with cheap yellow mustard is awesome. Or go fancy with the "gray poop on" it, or maybe even some La Bomba.

re: regular dogs. "Serious Eats" did a full scale test/review several months back, of the common national brands. Hebrew National finished first if I remember correctly, or second. Nathans were surprisingly near the bottom.
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Hebrew National 1/4 pounders are mighty good! Never had Pearls and probably never will unless some good soul ships me some. I inquired about ordering some until I found out it was going to cost me a hundred bucks for a case shipped. 100 bucks and hotdog don't even belong in the same sentence, I dont care how good they are!
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    If you like Conecuh, you should try Neuske's....they too are good with the cheap mustard...even better with grilled onions. We found Conecuh on sale last weekend and laid in a nice supply. Love it with red beans and rice (we grill the sausage and serve it on top of the beans). Good stuff. ;)
  • Metalhead
    Metalhead Posts: 668
    I would have to say that my favorite on the egg are the Nathan skinless dogs but I can't afford them so I have a close 2nd favorite which is beef Ballpark franks.

I occasionally try to eat a Hebrew national, but I still find them to be overly greasy with a weird taste.

I'd like to try Pearls, but alas I am in Atlanta and apparently we can't get them down here. :unsure:
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    The longer,skinner Nathan's here. Never had Pearls so????
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    i like nathans, hebrew national & boar's head.
  • CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    I use a Nathan's 5x1 skinless all beef wrapped in bacon and grilled with a little cherry wood. It doesn't get much better than that. I have Pearl's but my taste buds prefer Nathan's.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    I like the thinner dogs as well. Each bite seems to have a better ratio of bun/dog/condiments. To much processed ear & lip meat in one bite is not good. ;)
  • SheepDog
    SheepDog Posts: 176
    Hard to beat a Nathans!
  • Essex County
    Essex County Posts: 991
    I agree about the Pearl dogs. You may have heard some eggers talk about Fred's Franks in Wakefield, MA. He has an outdoor location with an XL egg. The dogs are all Pearls. The linguica, kielbasa, chorizo, etc. ain't bad either.
    Paul
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    "If you're ever in Toledo, Ohio, on the Hungarian side of town, Tony Packo's got the greatest Hungarian hot dogs" - CPL Max Klinger
  • EgginTiger
    EgginTiger Posts: 101
    nathans are my fave, hebrew national seem a little bit salty
  • Pearls are pretty good but then we have easy access to them in Massachusetts. I buy them because I can but they are still just hotdogs.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    a rib eye is just a steak, too ;)
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Another forum member, RGBVH turned me on to a Polish market in the area he lives. They have store made veal wieners that are the best I have ever had. I am going to NE fest and will pick up some Pearls and report back.
    Only in Canada you say...pity B)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

500 Posts: 3,177
    Thread rehash; I had Pearl's while visiting my brother in Boston. Very good. Went to school in a Bowling a Green , Ohio and made trips to Toledo for Tony Packo's. Also very good. Making spiral wieners this weekend. Can't find either around here, so I guess it's Hebrew National.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • TFols
    TFols Posts: 241
    Going to be up in Mass next week. I'll have to find some Pearls.
    Bloomfield, NJ
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited July 2014
    The best hot dogs I can find easily are near the deli cases in most Maryland food stored -
    Dietz & Watson New York Brand Beef Franks.
    They're fantastic...it's a long thin dog that snaps when you bite into it.  Great flavor.   They're a bit pricey though.

The next one I look for if I can't find those (or don't want to spend that much for a crowd) is Sabrett's.   That's a respectable dog!

However, I have to say that if I lean on my old gasser for anything, it's burgers and dogs.  I have not found any noticeable flavor difference from cooking either on the BGE other than it is more fun to cook on and the heat is sometimes more evenly distrubuted.   I'll cook with it closed and really try to get the lump falvor in the meat...but it's just not on the grill long enough to gain any flavor.  I feel the same way about a boneless chicken breast.   Everything else I've cooked, though...much better on the egg!

But no matter how you look at it...this thread is making me hungry!! 
    LBGE/Maryland
  • gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    Dont matter what brand of dog you like, trust me, marinate them in Dales (Low sodium in the green bottle) for a half hour before you put em on the grill.. Makes a huge diffrence IMHO.

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited July 2014
    Just about ready. The longer,skinner Nathan's here. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    I am surprised no one mentioned the Boars Head Frankfurters yet. May have some Sunday to celebrate Germany in the World Cup Final
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    when i cant find the pearl 1/4 pounders i buy boarshead or the hebrew nationals, those hebrew nationals are too salty for me but if i simmer them a few minutes and then on the egg they are great. those looking for pearls, you need the 1/4 pounders, the thinner ones are just not as good. this is a very old thread
    :))
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Another vote for Hebrew National 1/4 pounders
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Jesse Jones of course!  :)  Any NC southerner would know what these are.  Usually these are boiled and turn the water red, but boy they are good. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site