Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thoughts on my reverse sear procedure?

Greetings-

I received the half moon stone as a gift late last calendar year and came up with this procedure for reverse sear steak. I purchased the raised half grid and use them for the indirect cooking with the grid underneath so it can get to a good searing temperature.  With the Egg at 400 degrees I cook the steaks to 120 degrees internal (1 flip at some point) . I then pull the steaks off, dry them, remove the half grid and half stone, get the Egg up to 650-700 and sear 2 minutes a side. Results have been pretty awesome since I have gotten better at holding the 400 degree initial temperature. These were served with grilled asparagus, grilled pineapple, capresi salad, and a delicious Chateau Montelena Zinfandel. Has anyone tried this procedure and/or any thoughts on how to improve? Thanks for looking :D

Cheers!
Chris
St. Louis, MO
Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn

Comments

• mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    I have a similar half-moon setup that's never been used and has just been sitting out in my garage.  Maybe I've just found an eggcellent use for it.  Those steaks look great!
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    I wouldn't change anything.  Looks good from here.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,569
    Looks dead right..Just a thought if you had a spider with a 13 inch grate. It would bring you closer to the coals..would it all fit?.. 
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    @ChrisgrillsSTLMO‌ there are several ways to proceed with a reverse &/or CI pan/skillet sear. If this worked for you then roll with it.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    I agree with @NPHuskerFL. If it works for you rock on!

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Looks dead right..Just a thought if you had a spider with a 13 inch grate. It would bring you closer to the coals..would it all fit?.. 
    Don't have a spider so I am not sure if it would fit. Thanks for all the advice and encouragement!

Cheers,

Chris
    St. Louis, MO
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited July 2014
    Great idea.....I also use an old pizza stone that was too big for my MBGE, simply cut it in half. I found you need to get some air around the stone or the fire will simply move to one side. Works very well for one or two steak sears on the medium. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Great idea.....I also use an old pizza stone that was too big for my MBGE, simply cut it in half. I found you need to get some air around the stone or the fire will simply move to one side. Works very well for one or two steak sears on the medium. 
    Hmm, interesting thought. I might try moving may half stone a little towards the center of the grill to get more air around the stone. Thanks for the suggestion!

Cheers,

Chris
    St. Louis, MO