Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pathetic Cover

Options
Charbon
Charbon Posts: 222
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
coveregg.jpg
<p />Been using large leaf bag (super duty) for several years. Lately thinking I should update this portion of egg experience but not certain I want to spring for 20 bucks. I've actually never seen one used and wonder what everyone else is doing? Lots of ice and freezing up here and without cover it is certain gaskets would freeze. I suppose one could keep dropping lit wax cubes down chimney and do so for at least 10 years before break even point? I also don't plan on waiting for egg to cool after cooking so all needs to await the next day. Thanks

Comments

• DobieDad
    DobieDad Posts: 502
    Options
    Charbon,[p]Lots of local hardware stores sells a type of cheaply made out door fireplace. You may have seen them, round and with expanded sheet metal for sides and a lift-off lid.[p]The same stores sell vinyl covers for these units, and at a certain time of year, they are discounted. I purchased two, at $5 each, one for my Large and one for my Small. They are kind of large and easy to handle, where as the BGE cover for my Large is difficult to get over the nest and side tables (probably will get kicked off the Forum for saying so!). But for 5 bucks, they have been good for two winters so far.[p]HTH[p]DD
  • BigT
    BigT Posts: 385
    Options
    DobieDad,[p]Yeah, my spring hinge and Egg Mates always have lint on them from the cover. Wonder If I'll get a year before I wear a hole in the BGE cover.[p]Big T

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Charbon,
    You spent how much on your Egg? And you don't want to spend any money on protecting it? I have the Egg cover for the large and large table and don't regret spending the money one bit. After all that time there are a couple of thin spots but it's still does a great job. Six years+ and I still have the original lower vent (nasty old sheet metal and S/S on waiting for it to fall off which may take another 7 or 8 years)I've only had one freeze up and that was when I left the cover off for a few days a couple of winters ago. Go spend the money you have it! ;>)

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    Charbon,
    ive only had 1 freezup in 3 years and i live on the windy side of the lake. it was with a new looking gasket. i have 1 egg with a rutland and 2 good sealing eggs with totally fried out gaskets. i think only the new felts freeze, but i could be wrong. ive never covered an egg, i think all the moisture coming from the lake would be bad if i kept the egg covered condensing water all over the hinges etc. how colds the weather been up there, i need to take a drive and check out the camp in sebago

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Nessmuk
    Nessmuk Posts: 251
    Options
    Charbon,
    My BGE sets on the patio with a BGE cover. The temp has been as low here as -7 in Metro KC with a snowfall of 12". [p]Haven't had any problems. I cook on it year round.[p]

• Charbon,[p]My father ( I bought him an egg for his birthday) lives in the Midwest and he simply covers the egg with a galvanized trash can – he often covers the egg while it is extremely hot.[p]I don’t think he paid much more than 20 bucks for the can – try it and if it doesn’t work, turn it over and use it for its original intended purpose.[p]fwiw

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    fishlessman,
    I'll bet your toes will be a little cold up on the lake today! I'm in North Attleboro down in a little vaalley and it was -2 this morning. Climb out of the 'hole' and it wqarms up to 7 or 8 degrees!

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    2004_0111Image0002.jpg
    <p />Sundown,
    with it 90 degrees in the house ive frozen water pipes and the forced hot water system here. it can get brutal. ive got 5 gallons of antifreeze to put into the boiler system on the next warmer day and the sinks i left cracked open today.it was just above 0 this morning, its not supposed to be this cold yet. crank the heat

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Charbon
    Charbon Posts: 222
    Options
    fishlessman,
    Zero last night but it looks like it has been near as cold further south. If this global warming gets much worse I'll be out of wood by February!