Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whisky Cooking

I don't have pictures to prove this, thank goodness, but last weekend I had my best friend in life visit us over the 4th of July and his first recommendation were fillets on the BGE. So late Friday afternoon I prepared all of the sides and rubbed the fillets with Mickey's Coffee Rub and setup the BGE for indirect.   Well, happy hour started and I began with Jim Beam Ghost Whisky, which I found very tasty.  After a few Ghosts I fired up the egg and got it to 350 degrees.  With all bad smoke gone I put the fillets on and had another Ghost.  After about 30 minutes I went to check the fillets with my ThermoWorks Super-Fast pocket thermo.  It read 65 degrees (shooting for 110).  So I waited another fifteen minutes and checked the temp and it was at 77 degrees.  By this time the fillets were looking a little tired.  I had another ghost and then checked again in fifteen minutes.  They registered 97 degrees.  They looked like small meteors!  So I decided to get the cast iron pan out and go direct with a little duck fat and serve.  Well needless to say when I inserted the thermo, it said 105 and they looked like beef jerky.  I sliced and they were well beyond well-done.

Everyone bragged at dinner how a steak can be cooked so well-done and still be so tender (good friends) and taste so good (Mickeys Coffee Rub).

Well I woke up the next morning not feeling so well and stayed in bed trying to figure out what went wrong, when suddenly I got up and went into the den to find my friend slugging down a bottle of water.  I told him to follow me to the outdoor kitchen to look at something.

I opened the drawer and pulled out my thermo and sure enough it was reading in celsius!

Moral to this story - Check your thermometer prior to happy hour!    

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX

Comments