Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Joining the Family + First Cook

Options
A few years back, I looked into getting a BGE but honestly didn't have the funds and was stuck in apartments/condos that limited grilling.  After lurking on the forum for a few months, I came across a deal on CL that I couldn't pass up.  A local's wife won a Large at a raffle and since he has no interest in grilling (absurd!), I gladly took it off his hands.  Ended up getting the LBGE, nest, platesetter, and sack of BGE lump for $675 :)  I had been waffling back and forth between a Medium and Large and this pretty much made the decision for me.

Here she is when I first got it:

Decided to break her in with a Spatchcock Chicken and I have to tell you, I've never had chicken this good!!  My wife was raving about it the majority of the evening and was blown away with the leftovers the next day. 

Brined overnight (1gallon H20, 3/4cup kosher, 3/4cup sugar), let sit in fridge for an hour (should have let it sit longer), and grilled raised direct at 400* until the breast was 160*.  Seasoned with Dizzy Pig Raging River.

BEFORE

DURING :)

AFTER

The wings were amazing and didn't even make it to the plate.  Skin could have been a little crispier (think I'll leave in fridge for 24hr next time) but I barely even needed a knife to carve up the bird.  The thigh and breast meat was out of this world.  Considering I can snag two decent sized birds from Costco for around $10, we're going to make at least one a week. 

I've had the Egg now for about a week and a half and having been relegated to cooking on the smallest Smokey Joe that Weber makes for the last 2-3 years, I feel like this opens a whole new world of cooking to me.  I love cooking and I'm feeling all kinds of inspired :)

Glad to be a part of this community and I look forward to posting more in the future!

-Adam
Charleston, SC // LBGE

Comments

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Awesome and welcome to the madness. 

You can dust a little cornstarch on the skin to crisp it up or turn the spactch over for a little while (skin down).  Also as you stated, dry in fridge. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Nice job and welcome!
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Welcome to the lifestyle. Nice looking first cook post!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Most eggcellent start-welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    That's a wonderful start. You've been bitten…….

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Very nice! Where are you in Charleston? I used to live on Isle of Palms.
  • nick_banich
    nick_banich Posts: 110
    Options
    Great pictures - and I'm talking the actual pictures.  What kind of camera you taking those with? 
    -Large BGE since 6-13
    -Indianapolis, IN

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Welcome and great first post.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • divecj5
    divecj5 Posts: 18
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Thanks for the warm welcome!!

@tarheelmatt - Thanks for the suggestion on mixing some corn starch in with the rub.  I'll have to give that a try on Sunday when we'll be cooking another bird.  How long would I cook it skin side down? 

@Eggcelsior - Moved down here with my folks from the Philly area (before that Chicago) when I was in 4th grade and grew up in Summerville.  Moved back after college and currently live in West Ashley.  You'd need a crowbar and a semi-truck to drag me away from the Charleston area :)

@nick_banich - Thanks for the compliments on the pictures.  My wife and I have been doing professional photography on the side for about 6 years now and although we no longer take on as many gigs (full time job + 3 year old keeps us plenty busy), it's still a passion/hobby of mine.  Started with a Canon DigiRebel and have traded up through the years. I now use a Canon 5D and these were taken with a 17-40F4L.  Haven't updated the site in a year or so but here's some of our work - http://abphotography.zenfolio.com/

Charleston, SC // LBGE
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Every time I go down, it gets harder to leave. By the end of the week, I am looking up listings in Mt Pleasant.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Nice post. Welcome.... I always cook at 400 direct but higher up in dome and let the dome crisp up the bird (I never turn over). Also when I have time (not the most important thing) is to do bird (always spatchcocked Turkey) overnight uncovered in fridge.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Aquacop
    Aquacop Posts: 481
    Options
    Very nice cook, welcome to the forum, cheers
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    @divecj5 said, "I have been doing professional photography on the side for about 6 years now".

You can do it standing up too.
    :D

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Nice looking cook, Welcome!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Ktim
    Ktim Posts: 364
    Options
    Awesome snag on the Egg, and very nice first cook and great pictures. Welcome and enjoy the journey! But don`t  forget to stock up on Budweiser!
  • divecj5
    Options
    @Eggcelsior -  When I'm on travel, I always think "hmm...I could live here" but then I think back to the food, water, weather, beaches, kayaking....in Charleston and I snap back to my senses.  Beyond the sweltering July/Aug/September weather, it can't be beat.

@Mickey - Thanks for the suggestion of getting it higher up in the dome.  Looks like the next "toy" for the Egg will be either an Adjustable Rig or 2-tier system. 

Thanks @Skiddymarker and @Aquacop I've cooked on it about 5 more times and every time I fire it gets better and better.  I'm SLOWLY starting to get the hang of temp control...at least I think so ;)

@HDumptyEsq - HAHA!! =D>
    Charleston, SC // LBGE
  • divecj5
    Options
    Ktim said:
    Awesome snag on the Egg, and very nice first cook and great pictures. Welcome and enjoy the journey! But don`t  forget to stock up on Budweiser!
    Thanks!!  I've quickly realized that the number of beers consumed grows exponentially by the amount of time the Egg is cooking :)  Heading to Costco shortly to grab a case of Yuengling and some chicken wings.
    Charleston, SC // LBGE
  • radamo
    radamo Posts: 373
    Options
    Nice spatch @divecj5!  Those Costco two'fers are excellent.  I will be doing a pair this weekend.  

Welcome to the obsession!!!
    Long Island, NY
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Nice! Welcome

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    Great job! I love spatchcock chicken!
    GWN
  • mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    Options
    Looks great. Nice job. And, you have many great meals in your future!!

XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Get the adj rig. Have two and never looked back.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Get the adj rig. Have two and never looked back.
    +1 on the AR.
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • divecj5
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome and compliments on the cook. 

Thanks for the suggestion on the AR @Mickey and @mcmac.  That's the one I've been eyeballing the most lately. 

-Adam
    Charleston, SC // LBGE
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    @divecj5 just as it gets done you can flip it and get it crisped up.  The cornstarch don't need to be in with the rub, just dusted while on the egg to firm it up. 

I like to flip mine instead of cornstarch, honestly. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • divecj5
    Options
    Thanks @tarheelmatt I think I'll give "the flip" a try this weekend.
    Charleston, SC // LBGE
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Don't throw out the Smokey Joe. It comes in handy time to time. I use mine once a week when tailgating after softball games.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • divecj5
    Options
    Hate to bump up an old thread but does anyone know why I was able to create a new post back in July but I'm no longer able to do so now?  Who do I e-mail / PM to help resolve?  Would love to post some new cooks and questions!!
    Charleston, SC // LBGE