Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Venison Burger

Options
bhugg
bhugg Posts: 317
SWMBO has a work event tonight so its just me and my two girls.  I have some deer meat in my freezer, so I was thinking venison burgers.  Here what I was thinking I would do:

1 lb Venison
2 Tbsp bread crumbs
1 egg
"Slap Ya Mama" Seasoning
Worcestershire Sauce
Diced Onion and Jalapeños
BBQ Sauce

The cook would be just like any burger cook as far as set-up goes.  Any words of advice about the recipe or cooking process, I am all ears.  I will post pictures when I get started this afternoon/evening. 

Large BGE Dallas, TX

Comments

• Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    Because venison burger is so lean, be sure not to over cook, or they will dry out.
    GWN
  • bhugg
    Options
    so less time or less temp?  I was thinking 375-400 for 3 minutes each side.  
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
  • Nanook
    Options
    Sounds about right to me. Just make sure you don't take them past medium.
    GWN
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    If you have any pork fat on hand, it probably wouldn't hurt to mix some in.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • bhugg
    Options
    I have bacon grease that I kept in the freezer.  Should I use that?
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Depends on how think you are planning on going.  If you did about 1/3 pounders, I would say your temps and time are spot on.  I do about the same thing, but I do not use bread crumbs.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• bhugg
    Options
    I was thinking at least 1/3 pounder for me and 1/4 pounders for the girls.  
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    bhugg said:
    You might use some finely chopped bacon rather than the fat.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• bhugg
    edited July 2014
    Options
    bhugg said:
    You might use some finely chopped bacon rather than the fat.
    All I have is the grease that rendered off when I cooked the bacon, whenever that was.  
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    That recipe looks more like meatloaf than a burger. Nothing wrong with that. It looks tasty. I agree with it being so lean you run a high risk of it drying out. Add a little sausage?
    Flint, Michigan
  • bhugg
    Options
    That recipe looks more like meatloaf than a burger. Nothing wrong with that. It looks tasty. I agree with it being so lean you run a high risk of it drying out. Add a little sausage?
    I am trying to stick with what I have at the house.  The only thing I have that I could use to fatten it up the bacon grease.  What would you change to make it more "burger-like"?
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
  • HDumptyEsq
    Options
    @bhugg. A house without bacon is a bereft house! ;)

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

• Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    edited July 2014
    Options
    bhugg said:

I am trying to stick with what I have at the house.  The only thing I have that I could use to fatten it up the bacon grease.  What would you change to make it more "burger-like"?

I understand. My experience with venison has never lead me to make a burger without some fatty meat to mix. If it was not on hand, I took the easy route. Chili, spaghetti...etc. EDIT: I almost forgot sloppy joes, slop, sloppy joes!
    Flint, Michigan
  • bhugg
    Options
    So what is the general consensus on using bacon fat/grease?
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
  • HDumptyEsq
    Options
    @bhugg. Using just the grease may be over the top and give a nasty texture. It may be better to soak some bread crumbs in a milk and egg wash, press out most of the moisture and mix that well into the venison. You can spice the egg/breadcrumb up with some Worcestershire sauce.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

• Nanook
    Options
    @bhugg‌. I've never tried it myself, but wouldn't be afraid to give it a whirl.
    GWN
  • bhugg
    Options
    Why not?  Lets give 'er a whirl.
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
  • Nanook
    Options
    @bhugg. Be sure and let us know how they turn out please.
    GWN