Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kick Ash Basket, Anybody got one ?

keepervodeflame
keepervodeflame Posts: 353
edited June 2014 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone have any info or experience with these. They look useful to me. 

Comments

• mshump
    mshump Posts: 212
    I got one this week, just installed it last night for the first time. It appears heavy duty enough to last a few years. Will make clean-outs much easier and less ash on the hands. 
    Danville, Il
  • egger911
    egger911 Posts: 39
    I received mine this week and I'm very happy with it. Makes cleanup quick and easy. I take it out and shake it over a galvanized bucket and that REALLY cuts down on the ash in my Egg.
    Large BGE, Weber Summit, Weber Performer, Weber 22.5" Kettle, Offset Smoker, and a 1974 Smokey Joe. (Love that Egg, should have got it earlier.) Moorpark, (Southern) California 93021
  • qprhooligan
    qprhooligan Posts: 126
    Does it replace the charcoal grate or does it work with the charcoal grate still installed?
  • egger911
    egger911 Posts: 39
    I just put mine on top of the charcoal grate.
    Large BGE, Weber Summit, Weber Performer, Weber 22.5" Kettle, Offset Smoker, and a 1974 Smokey Joe. (Love that Egg, should have got it earlier.) Moorpark, (Southern) California 93021
  • Rob Lewis
    Rob Lewis Posts: 6
    I have wished for something exactly like this for years! It saves lots of time on cleanouts between cooks. The wires are spaced far enough apart that the small bits of charcoal that can clog up your next fire will fall through when you shake the ash out. If you remove the existing charcoal grate before setting the basket in place, you get better airflow and higher temps than the stock Egg. 

I'm thinking of removing one section of wire in the side of the basket to make a slot that I can insert my electric igniter into. I'll just set the basket on top of the cooking grill and start the fire there, then pull out the igniter and set the basket in the firebox. 

Best $40 I ever spent on BGE accessories. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    I've used mine a couple times and LOVE it!  Some observations:
    - No sense in using the existing plate, or an aftermarket grate like I had, no point.
    - Not only can you shake most ash out away from the Egg, but the ash that DOES fall through, is totally accessible with the KickAsh removed; no more digging through the intake with the Ash Tool!
    - Best thing of all, and it's not advertised!  This thing is tall enough to cover the vent holes in the ceramic bowl, I don't anticipate them clogging, ever again!  YAY!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,723
    No XL version. Boo
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    A neat idea to be thankful for.
  • Botch
    No XL version. Boo

Nor Small.
    Yet!

Are you reading this, Irv?  
    ;)

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Being a n00b, I wouldn't have thought not to use the OEM fire grate and just use the Ash Basket by itself. I'll give this a shot, sounds promising...

Thanks
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • vchelf
    vchelf Posts: 95
    I've been using mine for a couple of months and love it. All the other grates are gone. Clean-out is super easy. I put this on the must  have list for new Eggers.
    Victor Chelf
    Houston, TX

Just one Large BGE
    Visit my Victor's Vittles blog - dedicated to my Big Green Eggventures

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Does anyone think that not being stainless steel a problem @Botch‌
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• LOVE mine! I have the XL model. I was in the middle of a long, overnight brisket cook and my fire was choking from the ash. One quick shake of the KAB and I was back in the game! 
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    grege345 said:

No. It holds up well.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • grege345 said:
    I spoke to Chad the owner of Kick Ash Basket. He said that a stainless model would price itself out the market. So far, there has been great success. 

Also, I sent him dimensions of the Mini Max. He is designing a KAB for it. 
  • Jeremiah
    It doubles as a high que, and alleviates the clogged holes problem. Also it enables you to take out the remaining lump, shake out most of the ash and start again. What little is left can be easily scooped out from the top. I honestly can't remember the last time I pulled ash through the bottom vent door. I really wish i'd have thought of it.
  • We carry both the High Que grate as well as the KAB.  Not sure you need both.  Both are better options over the stock fire grate on the large Egg.  I happen to think the XL stock firegrate allows for good air flow as is, so not seeing the need.  That's my 2¢ 

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Botch
    grege345 said:
    I've used mine for six months or so now and can't see any visible wear.  If it eventually burns through I'll buy another one.   :-bd

• bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Would this work on a medium?
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • Jeremiah
    They don't make one for a med. but with a cut off wheel and a mig welder....
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Jeremiah said:
    It doubles as a high que, and alleviates the clogged holes problem. Also it enables you to take out the remaining lump, shake out most of the ash and start again. What little is left can be easily scooped out from the top. I honestly can't remember the last time I pulled ash through the bottom vent door. I really wish i'd have thought of it.

You have convinced me to buy one for my large.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Jeremiah
    They really should pay me.
  • Big50
    Big50 Posts: 39
    I love mine...I usually shake it in the egg and then use the buckethead and suck all the ash out. Takes me two minutes and my egg is completely free of ash. It's definitely not a must but it does speed up the process considerably and worth the money in my opinion.
    Alexandria, KY
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    I just put a request in with Mrs. Claus for a KAB-14
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• I guess I still don't see the "need" for this.  I'm not sure I even understand the "want".  I have the high-Q grate and have never had any real problems with too much ash building up.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Hardrock
    Hardrock Posts: 3
    edited December 2014
    I have an XL.   Got a Kick Ash Basket for it  a month or so ago and wouldn't want to do without it.  After each Egg use I just remove it next morning and shake the ash out of it into my garage trash drum lined wit a 55 gallon plastic bag,  (Making sure all embers are completely cold prior - obviously)  Vacuum the Egg of what's left of ash from the use, dump lump to fill it back up and I'm ready for my next cook.   Additionally, I have faster and easier control of temperature regulation and changes.   Oh, I removed the original ash grate prior to using it and it remains removed.  I highly recommend it, although I've not negotiated compensation for my endorsement.
  • flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    I am with @johnincarolina
    my HighQ grate does this for me.  tap it from underneath with an ash tool and relight the lump.  
    Not sure how this device would add to my repertoire

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    I wish they made one for the small egg

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    shtgunal3 said:
    I wish they made one for the small egg
    Me too. Sure would be great for when I tailgate or travel with it. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • I have the BGE XL.  I'm looking at the KAB and the HighQ.  The price for both seems high at approximately $65 for the KAB and $60 for the HighQ.

I'm thinking that with either, the standard ash grate comes out.  Obviously, airflow is improved with both.  I'm just not seeing the cleanup benefit of the HighQ.  

With the HighQ, you still have to stir the lump to release the ash into the bottom of the EGG and use the ash tool to drag it out.  With the KAB, I can't think of any kind of convenient disposal container large enough to pull the basket out and shake the ash into on my back patio, but I live on a retaining pond.  I expect that it could be possible to carry the KAB down to the waterline and shake the ash into an area that I generally already use for ash disposal.  Sure, I expect that I'd still need to vacuum out the base of the EGG once in a while, but the frequency should be greatly reduced with the KAB.

I think I just talked myself into the KAB unless someone has a better argument for the HighQ.